Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: God-like Combat  (Read 1193 times)

Shade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
God-like Combat
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:50 am »

If I may start off with a visual representation...

Urist McDwarf charges Ratman!
Urist McDwarf slams Ratman with =Iron Shield=!
Ratman is propelled away by the force of the hit!
Ratman hits and obstacle and blows apart!

Or alternatively...

Ratman is blown apart!

It's an amazing thought. Combat that allows a character to charge forward several tiles at a time, and blow an enemy apart with a weapon, or as seen above, blowing them apart with an equipped shield. ;D

It would be amazing for this, and similair combat options to be available. Charging forward, cleaving an enemy in half with a sword. Blowing through a wall to ambush an enemy on the other side. This wouldn't be too far fetched, considering you can hurl an enemy by his third left toe at a wall and blow him apart, or kill an enemy with a thrown sword. Any combat options I haven't thought of that would be awesome to have would be, well, awesome too. :D

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: God-like Combat
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:13:49 am »

A "charge" option might be nice, but seeing as to how Fortress mode doesn't have it...

However, breaking down walls would be a lovely addition to both modes.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:19 am »

Probably doesn't have to be purely god-like feats of strength, either. Can be feats of speed, like catching items thrown/shot at you automatically and throwing them back, blocking incoming items/shots with your weapon, attacking enemies several times in a single move, charging past an enemy knocking him to the ground, or attacking multiple enemies in a charge.

For the life of me I can hardly think of things that doesn't involve a charge, simply because it is really visually appealing.

Im talking exactly this. God-like combat, I envisioned it in Adventure mode: You vs the world, or some of that unending sieges coming up. ;)

And you cant say charging straight THROUGH an enemy with a shield, blowing him apart, isn't AWESOME.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:37:04 am by Shade »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:52:38 am »

Blunt weapons in the hands of godlike characters do send people flying, or explode their torsos. What exactly are you suggesting?

Combat maneuvers that mix movement with attacks? You can already plow over and through an enemy formation by charging them.

Running starts that give a bonus to charge attacks? It might be tricky to implement, but I wouldn't complain.

Does the combat system need to get even more over the top? After being disarmed, and having both my arms broken, I gnashed an entire enemy squad to death with my teeth. It took me a day to get all the severed heads out of my mouth.

Destroyable buildings in adventure mode? Why not.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:00:43 am »

Thread title is a bit unclear.   Charging doesn't really equate to 'god-like' in any way.   Thought this thread was gonna be about lightning bolts or what have you.

Shade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 04:10:42 am »

Well, of course, that would be magical, Capntastic...

Along those lines It would be great to have elemental "powers", as opposed to spells, where powers cost NOTHING to use. (Shadow "lashes" grabbing onto an enemy from afar, and you can rip him apart, fling him, or just hit him with them or something... Fireballs, ice blasts, wind blasts, elemental POWERS in general. Draining souls...)

But the idea I had here was an Charge action, as opposed to what is it now, where you can choose a direction, or even set a point to charge too, and off you go. This would mean you can CHARGE an enemy from a DISTANCE, which I guess is the main difference here. And slam effects that are not limited to blunt weapons, but can be an option in the Charge preferences. (As a choice between Cleaving, Slamming into (Using a shield, yay. Or not.), Striking, knocking over, IMPALING! Just to name a few...)

God-like physical feats that go BEYOND simple stats. These constitute "Skills", like those found in RPG's, I guess, in that you use or activate them.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:15:07 am by Shade »

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:52:15 am »

I thought this was going to be about giant (and I mean a lake is a footbath) creatures fighting during world gen and changing the earth even more. Just something extra and random other than erosion.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 05:14:49 am »

I thought this was going to be about giant (and I mean a lake is a footbath) creatures fighting during world gen and changing the earth even more. Just something extra and random other than erosion.

Yeah, that sort of thing needs more attention in worldgen.   We have deities, and I cannot wait for them to have their own legends and such.   Like punching the ground so hard a mountain springs up out of spite.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:04:02 am »

Thread title is a bit unclear.   Charging doesn't really equate to 'god-like' in any way.   Thought this thread was gonna be about lightning bolts or what have you.

Hah yeah, I was thinking about the same, when I've seen the title of the topic.  ;D
Anyway "charge" & "shield bash" as special attacks sounds good to me. Btw OP...let me guess...you've been playing too much WoW?  :D

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »

I could tell that, and I've never even played WoW. It goes without saying.

I don't really understand how this change is fundamentally different from the current charge system. Having more options, over what to hit your opponent with (attacking with your shield even if you have a weapon in you other hand, or slapping an enemy with the flat of your sword etc.), would be very nice.

However, I don't see the purpose of being able to charge from further away.

What does this change actually do? I play shield fighters, who knock their opponents down with a charge, and then beat them to death with shields, already. How would the proposed change improve my shield bashing experience?

Surely there's something I'm missing, because to me it looks like, for all the troubles I can see with implementing this in the interface, it doesn't actually change anything.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:32:16 pm »

Yeah, thread title has nothing to do with the contents of the original post.
I actually don't agree with this, because really, no matter how hard you hit somebody in the chest with a shield-
Ratman is blown apart!
You'll send them flying, but there's absolutely no way anybody can ever possibly dream of being anywhere close to strong enough to blow them up instantly with something blunt.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »

I would be more cautious in what I declared to be impossible. I've seen some downright crazy things happen to animals, including a deer abdomen literally exploding into gore under the hammer blow of a car bumper, and a mouse bloodlessly smashed into a cartoon-esque pancake.

Shade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

Impossibility is good, though. THAT is why I chose the thread name "God-like" combat, because it's so ridiculous. It's also, as I said earlier, very visually appealing. Having many different options available to take down a large force of enemies would be very fun.

Also, yeah, I've been playing alot of WoW... That picture in the OP has captured my imagination since seeing it.

Anyway, this God-like combat can be toggleable, or included simply as an add-on, because i'm sure everyone wouldn't want this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 08:49:37 pm »

maybe it could be an order where a squad forms a line and charges in a given direction? hmm... select squad with X, press C (for charge), then an arrow key?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG