Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lead-core hammers [spoilers]  (Read 1992 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Lead-core hammers [spoilers]
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:11 pm »

So I recently learned adamantine would be useless for blunt weapons next release.  I was saddened by this.  But then I realized something;  adamantine is a hard material that makes good armor in plates.  The same sort of thing should be applicable to blunt weapons made of soft, yet heavy, metals.  In other words, we should be able to make hollow blunt weapons out of weapon-grade metals and fill them in with heavy materials like lead (or possibly gold if you are eccentric) that normally can't be used for making weapons.  That is all.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Lead-core hammers [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:44:40 pm »

If we're going to be making code for stuff inside of other stuff (craft-wise), can we apply this to foods with a creme filling?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »

+1, All the way.  I fully support this.

ANd probably, no.  I have never seen cream.  I'm going for a cake inside a biscuit, but that's just awesome.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »

Somehow I've got the feeling that after implementing this we would end up with artifact hammers with cream filling.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »

YES. :P

▼YES!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:55:20 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »

Twinkie, the solemn steel shortcake of smiting is engraved with dwarfs and dwarfs. The dwarfs are playing rugby with the dwarfs. It is filled with minced plump helmet flavored chocolate creme, and menaces with spikes of fudge, and sprinkles of fishbone.

This relates to the birthday of King SweetGut, the heart attack waiting to happen.
For they would be your masters.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:57 pm »

Sounds useful for discovering whether goblins have a cream filling too.

Um. Anyways, yes. You should be able to use a unit of adamantine (a strand or a wafer depending on the item) to reinforce weapons and armor.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:44:25 pm »

This is an obsidian pot. It menaces with spikes of obsidian. The pot is filled with an Obsidian Pot. The pot is filled with an Obsidian Pot. The pot is filled with an Obsidian Pot. The pot is filled with an Obsidian Pot. The pot is filled with an Obsidian Pot. The pot is filled with ants.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:56:58 pm »

Sounds useful for discovering whether goblins have a cream filling too.

Um. Anyways, yes. You should be able to use a unit of adamantine (a strand or a wafer depending on the item) to reinforce weapons and armor.

Now that I think about it, though, it begs the question of whether or not this is applied only to adamantine.

It might be silly to plate/coat iron hammers with sheets of lead, or bronze swords with brass... but what about weapons plated/coated in gold, silver, or black bronze?

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:04:03 am »

If the elves are not at least proficient traders, they will not notice these are gilded copper things, and not actual golden things! Brilliant!

Or better yet, we can create wooden objects and cover them in metal, and they will never tell the difference! Adamantine weighs about the same as wood, right?

Or even better yet, we sell them "silver"ware eating utensils made of solid tallow dipped in silver! We'll see how insane the elves can really get, especially if they find out what they're sticking in their mouths when the silver wears off...
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 12:08:37 am »

Wouldn't dipping tallow in molten silver just melt the tallow?

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 12:19:40 am »

They're dwarfs! They shall remove the silver-covered tallow from its dipping place and cool the silver enough to harden it before the tallow manages to melt/leak out! Or perhaps we will just encase a spoon-shaped chunk of meat in silver. As long as the elves taste flesh when they least want to.

Come to think of it... a metal should be made that is solid in cold temperatures but liquid in average ones. Find elves that live in a temperate forest, create a fortress in an arctic area. Then, make hollow objects from that metal. Fill them with the blood of elves and things. Then sell them to the elven traders! Sure, they will be fine for a while, but once they're home and unload, the metal shall melt, and blood shall flood their grounds!

Or make the metal sublimate at average temperatures and have the elves be hit on two fronts. And with the upcoming airborne toxins, which might be able to be implemented in metals...
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 02:35:09 am »

Mmm, yes.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 02:54:10 am »

Yo dawg, herd you leik weapons. So I put a weapon in ur weapon, so u can kill while you kill...
...Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Somehow I've got the feeling that after implementing this we would end up with artifact hammers with cream filling.
My god, I lol'd so hard. That just made my day, thankyou.

Wouldn't dipping tallow in molten silver just melt the tallow?
Yes.
Wouldn't that make the elves rage?
Also yes.
Is that awesome?
Yes again. ;)

Furthermore, if Elves aren't raging, it's not my revolution.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 03:08:50 am »

They're dwarfs! They shall remove the silver-covered tallow from its dipping place and cool the silver enough to harden it before the tallow manages to melt/leak out! Or perhaps we will just encase a spoon-shaped chunk of meat in silver. As long as the elves taste flesh when they least want to.

Come to think of it... a metal should be made that is solid in cold temperatures but liquid in average ones. Find elves that live in a temperate forest, create a fortress in an arctic area. Then, make hollow objects from that metal. Fill them with the blood of elves and things. Then sell them to the elven traders! Sure, they will be fine for a while, but once they're home and unload, the metal shall melt, and blood shall flood their grounds!

Or make the metal sublimate at average temperatures and have the elves be hit on two fronts. And with the upcoming airborne toxins, which might be able to be implemented in metals...

I'm not sure stone depositing is open enough that we could order a certain stone to only appear in arctic climes, just yet. (If I can be proven wrong, by all means, do so.) This would likely be a prerequisite for such a metal, if it were to exist.

Also, stones don't use their fixed temps/temperature calculations while still embedded in the earth, so you'd likely just end up mining into the stone and having it puddle at your feet.

Pages: [1] 2