Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma, glass  (Read 2038 times)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Magma, glass
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »

i'm going to try my hand at a big glass tower with (eventually) a magma waterfall being pumped up through it. couple questions:

1. does magma contained in a room ever dissipate if it's above 1/7? what if there are magma furnaces/smelters using it? basically i want to keep as much of my fortress aboveground as possible, and I don't want my furnaces to stop working if the level of the pipe drains. can i seal some magma off from the pipe with my furnaces on top and use that forever? or will the magma eventually cool/get used up by the furnaces if it's not being replenished by the pipe

2. is green glass the only way to go? I'd like to make it clear glass but from what i've read that will always require more wood for ash->potash->pearlash, and I don't want to require a huge wood supply (making barrels and bins is enough of a pain in the ass as it is)

3. walls/floors are magma safe no matter what they're made out of right?

4. can you build glass floors out of glass blocks? the wiki only mentions stone and wood

5. will windows support structures? (i'm hoping not), I intend to build my tower with a self-destruct lever, that is every floor built on a column of supports with the stairs surrounded by grates, so the whole thing can be brought down on a whim. I want to build windows around the outer edges (since i can't build walls), but only if they'll come down as well.

ah, nevermind on that
A window is not considered support for the purposes of preventing cave-ins

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma, glass
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:13:09 pm »

1. As long as it can't spread out to 1/7, magma is eternal. Don't know if Magma Furnaces use it up. Haven't tested it myself.

2. Clear glass requires you have a) Wood, which you b)Woodburn into Ash, which you c) Ashery it into Potash, which you d) Magma Kiln into Perlash, as you said. It requires a lot of steps, and depends on a depleteable resource. Green glass, which just uses sand, is simpler. Don't even try making it out of Crystal Glass. That'd just be silly.

3. Constructions (walls, floors, Fortifications, Stairs, Ramps) are all magmaproof. Even if they're made out of wood or Bituminous Coal.

4. Definitely. In fact, it's probably the most economical way to build a 3d, above ground structure. And since it's green glass, it gives you privacy, is easy to light with torches, and gives dwarves jobs as they hang from the roof and squeegie the walls for Giant Eagle bird-crap.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:18:12 pm »

torches? joking or is there such a thing

also, is there any way to use the finder to locate a site with a magma pipe that reaches the surface?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:21:51 pm by AncientEnemy »

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »

Joking of course. Same as the Squeegie dwarfs.  ;D

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:37:25 pm »

Magma Furnaces do NOT use up magma.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32:47 pm »

All glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma proof, so if you are putting magma through that, you would be fine even if constructions weren't material-blind.  This information also makes it easier to get those magma-proof floodgates and hatches.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:49 pm »

It's going well I think.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »

Looks like FUN.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:54:38 pm »

oh goody, i start a new fort and after a bunch of construction find out loamy sand doesn't count as SAND. goddamnit game.

just locating a site for this is a massive pain in the ass.

river->yes (for obsidian later)
aquifer-> no
magma pipe -> yes

AND SAND. i wish it would let me search for sand. or at least do a 'find next'

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:04 pm »

All glass furniture, weapons, and blocks are magma proof, so if you are putting magma through that, you would be fine even if constructions weren't material-blind.  This information also makes it easier to get those magma-proof floodgates and hatches.

On this note, if you can rig up an system to flush magma through an area, you can build a fancy royal room full of very high quality furniture...which all just happens to be magma proof.

Connect a lever. Got an annoying noble? Not for much longer! ;D

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:32 pm »

will a support... support a ramp? normally i'd just build it but i've had lots of issues with ramps letting me build them where they shouldn't function, but functioning anyway for awhile and then ceasing to be passable