Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Implications of "At War" status  (Read 798 times)

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Implications of "At War" status
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:22:09 pm »

Hey, I've been genning worlds with quite a few civilizations hoping to get some interesting conflicts that will make adventure and fortress mode a bit more interesting.  Now I know when two civs are at war you'll occasionally get adventure mode "quests" from the mayors to kill individual enemies of the opposing civ, etc.  What I'm interested in now is fortress mode.  Will embarking with a civ at war with goblins as indicated in the embark civ screen tend to draw more attacks?  Can I do the same for dwarf groups at war with the elves/humans and get attacks/ambushes from them as well?  Is it worth going through dozens of worlds for this?  Thanks.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Implications of "At War" status
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »

If your dwarven civilization is at war with a human or elven civilization, then yes, they'll attack you in fortress mode.

Not sure if the goblins are more aggressive if they're at war with you.

As for whether it's "worth it" to go through many worlds to get humans/elves to war with the dwarves, that's up to you. Yes, it does add quite a bit of a challenge; if you want that challenge, go for it.

By the way, you might be getting more "extra wars" then you think, due to the fact that every race has multiple civilizations; I usually get a dwarven civ at war with the humans or elves every second world or so.

A good way to tell (aside from looking through legends) is to go through every dwarven civ on the embark screen, and look for war status near that where your civ is situated (look for the blue signs on the world map); you won't really get wars far away from your home civ.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:15:44 pm »

Well I couldn't find any dwarf civilizations at war with humans after about 20 minutes of world genning and carefully checking every civ.  I was really hoping for a human siege, as those seem to be the most interesting, but there were a few dwarf civs at war with the elves so I settled with that.  I plan on pissing off the humans by killing their caravans/diplomats until they siege me as well.  Coupled with goblins, elves, and my no trap policy, I'm looking forward to an exciting game.  Also considering leaving some 'valuables' out for the kobolds to steal as letting them actually get stuff supposedly triggers their attacks.  I'll update here for the sake of anyone interested if/when I get elf/human ambushes or sieges.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:36:29 am »

Just got my first elf siege.  About 15 elves, all wrestlers with 2 bowmen.  Five dwarves with obsidian swords cut right through them, and even a lone hunter held his own until running out of ammo.  Stole the first human caravan and locked up their liaison until he went insane.  Hoping to kill next human caravan entirely.

On a side note, I lost 2 of my legendary miners messing around trying to cage some snakemen to set loose on the humans.  Only ended up getting olmmen and lizardmen.  Kobold and goblin thieves are plentiful.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:51:12 am »

Is there a simple raw change that would make it much more likely for the dwarves to be at war with everyone?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:59:13 am »

Is there a simple raw change that would make it much more likely for the dwarves to be at war with everyone?

The modding forum has some threads that attempt to answer that question.  Here are a few that I found through search:

I need more wars!
HELP: How to make goblins always at war with you
WAR, what is it good for?

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:09:56 pm »

Apparently seizing the humans' goods and locking up their liaison was enough to get them to siege the very next year.  Around 15 humans came, 12 wrestlers and 3 lashers, 1 wrestler on horseback.  They made a campfire and waited there for awhile, then started moving in.  They were easily taken care of, and only the wrestler on horseback escaped.  One thing to note is I didn't actually kill their liaison; rather I locked him up until he went mad and then later let him escape, sans the clothing he took off while mad.  He ran off the map naked and insane, but very much alive.  Perhaps he's still considered to have died or perished later?

Another thing to note is that the elf siege does not have a proper announcement- although the camera zooms to their location, they're all stealthed and cannot be seen until engaged.

Another important note-  These sieges all occurred with a relatively low population and wealth.  I have ~50 dwarves, less when the elves came.  No goblin sieges or ambushes yet.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »

If you crave conflict, play as the goblins. All the other races send attack forces after the first year. You'll have to fiddle around with the entity files a bit for the dwarves to come, and so that the goblin caravan doesn't come every season, and whatever else might need to be fixed, but it should be fun.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.