Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Abrachanox RPG PNP scenario TRIS Client, play pen and paper games the fun way!  (Read 3538 times)

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The System... "TRIS"
------------------------
Are you an aspiring game master but can't find the right game to place your skills in?

Do you love the forum Role-plays but get sick of the cluster-fuckness?

Always wanted to turn your favorite forum RP into an actual game in action?

Ever wanted to officially play Pen And Paper ONLINE with a gaming interface, and live players?

And lastly, ever wanted a program where you can create your own text based online RPG's based in ANY setting that YOU create? Imagine Fallout online PNP, or DND, Or Modern d20. You name it! The limit is your imagination.

TRIS Client and Server are what you have been looking for, while in early development it is planned to be the go-to for all you old school PNPers out there. TRIS Server is currently NOT planned for release and wont be until I feel it is close to a more user friendly and a stable usable state. While there is an older version of the TRIS Server out for download, it is very messy with rookie coding mistakes as well as various bugs and limited features.

for more information visit http://abrachanox.webs.com/

Check it out, read around and tell me what you think. Also the About section is a very early rough draft of the current scenario I am developing to run with TRIS, I am accepting anyone with talented story writing skills to edit, and fix it to look better, longer, and more descriptive. Feel free to also add new ideas as long as you try to go with the lore I am trying to create.  Currently the only screen shot of the program I have up is located under TRIS RP where it is explaining the interface. I will create a screen shot section soon to get an idea on what you will be using if you choose TRIS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Game.. "Abrachanox"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The game is playable in it's current state, once enough applications have been collected play tests will take place soon after

The TRIS client will be distributed to those that post their applications to play the game Abrachanox. There are only 5 slots available, 4 of which will be playing a party based game play to test the connectivity between the server and the other players, as well as the game mechanics, and emotes etc. There will also by a 1 Player session similar to as if playing Single Player on a video game, the story will be focused on the development and advancement on one player which I feel will be the standing point for this program. The game sessions will rotate players so a large majority of players that miss the first session, will have a second chance the next time. When playing please be patient as I will be helping explain the system, some quick commands you can do, and generally giving everyone a tutorial run through on what to expect down the line.

In other words I am accepting many applications, I will have set times for the certain play sessions which will hopefully work hand and hand with the players time frame. Please send all applications to the game e-mail at abrachanox@gmail.com OR post here in this forum with the credentinals listed. I will review them and send you confirmations for those that will be able to play in the first session. I advise players, and guests alike to sign up for my forums so you can communicate with other players interested in this session as well.

Applications sent must have the following.

* = Required Fields.

*Username: (The one you will use to log into TRIS, your OOC name):

*Character Name: (Your Alter Ego and in game name, go based off scenario can have just a firstname, or both first and last name.):

Character Nick Name: (What other players and NPCs will know you by when you first meet, before you tell them your real name)

*Character Description: (Details about your character, Race, Gender, does he have a scar, what color is his hair, eyes, permanent features that other people will read and NPCS will use in game):

*Beta Position Applying For: ( Group, or Single):

Your Past Role-Play experience: (What other games have you played where you role-played with others, or describe times where you had to use extensive role-play knowledge etc, will help you get a spot quicker):

Applications can be posted in this FORUM as well as be sent to my E-MAIL depending if you want it public or private.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:08:40 pm by Abrachanox »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not a big fan of having your first post be an advertisement . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a free program aimed to help create custom text based multi-player role-play worlds similar to the forum games seen here, with easy to use tools. Don't knock it before ya try it. Also this is also introducing my own scenario I'd like to try with you users, using the TRIS client that I am "Advertising" I feel players may like this alternative to posting on forums is all, and if not then they'll let me know I am sure.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:05:44 pm by Abrachanox »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess that I'll give it a try. I'll check it out.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great, then please send an app. with the credentials listed to my e-mail also listed on the first post. Please also note that the scenario Abrachanox which players will be playing is still under development.

History/Story has a very early rough draft looking for someone with better writing skills then me to help finish it.

Skills/Stat's I got the basic interface setup in planning, still yet to implement it fully. Basiclly plan to have a Fallout style system, STR DEX PERCEP etc, with unique perks with downs and ups.

Death is permanent, when your character dies he's dead for good, however you are able to resend a new character with a new char description and name.

Combat is turn-based, Combat will be per turn character with ability to counter depending on the dice rolls. Rolls are based off the armor your wearing or any protection, skills and stats to determine damage and defence.

Any questions? Ask here, or sign up on my forums on the website listed in the first post.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There will also by a 1 Player session similar to as if playing Single Player on a video game, the story will be focused on the development and advancement on one player which I feel will be the standing point for this program.

How exactly does this "1 Player session" work? Is it just 1 player who send orders, and then you got a GM who reply back? Because if that was done, I tried that before, with some mixed 'success'. If it is something else though, I might be interested.

Right now, I'm seeing the system being just like another RPG client that I sometimes use. You got a chat server for OOC chat, a description that is manually updated by the GM that explains what is going on, the players talking to each other in the main chatroom ICly, the GM "spoofing" NPC dialouge. There has to be some other difference right, to differnate from the ton of other RPG clients, not to mention many people who just use IRC?

Let me ask you this: Is the GM even necessary for the System? As in, does the GM have to be logged on while the game is on? Or could the GM be sleeping and players can come in and play whenever they want?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How exactly does this "1 Player session" work? Is it just 1 player who send orders, and then you got a GM who reply back? Because if that was done, I tried that before, with some mixed 'success'. If it is something else though, I might be interested.

The "1 player session" works in real-time with a DM present, or not present. At the current state it's in a DM is required but that dosn't matter anyways as it's for testing purposes and the TRIS server will not be released anytime soon. So really it's something that I have to deal with, but when I feel the TRIS server is complete, it will have the option of having automated "AI" with customizable easy to use scripts to help control your game while your gone, or manually run and edit it in real-time as the players are in. Either way you have to leave your TRIS server running of course, in order for players to connect.

Right now, I'm seeing the system being just like another RPG client that I sometimes use. You got a chat server for OOC chat, a description that is manually updated by the GM that explains what is going on, the players talking to each other in the main chatroom ICly, the GM "spoofing" NPC dialouge. There has to be some other difference right, to differnate from the ton of other RPG clients, not to mention many people who just use IRC?

I consider TRIS as an effective and unique alternative to role-playing that IRC, or other RPG clients have trouble matching. Almost everything is customizable, and I mean everything that you can basically create a functional multiplayer group based role-play with custom and easy to edit scripts, events, and you can make unlimited scenes/locations and unlimited characters and make details as complex or simple as you want depending on the DM's preference. Also with a built in dice-system you can setup any DND/PNP game you want with any edition ever created.

Along with the ability for players to import custom portraits, give vivid details about their character that other players can see, and more, I feel these features are what set it apart from the rest. if you want even MORE information on what TRIS does, check out the features section on my website.

Let me ask you this: Is the GM even necessary for the System? As in, does the GM have to be logged on while the game is on? Or could the GM be sleeping and players can come in and play whenever they want?

In this early state of development the DM is needed, but as it was mentioned earlier it doesn't matter at the moment as I will not be releasing the TRIS SERVER for a while, and within that time frame I will implement the ability to have automated games that you can setup predetermined events , characters, and easy to edit scripts that will run while your server is running if you are away. You can also come back and edit new things on the fly and update them while players are still playing, complete control throughout the whole game is a key feature for TRIS. Forgot to add the hallway entrance to that office scene? Pause the game make it and add it in on the fly, or leave the game rolling and edit a typo on a NPC's description.

Hope I helped answer your questions, if not, feel free to try to ask again in a way that I can understand it better.

[EDITED: Better explained the question.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:01:40 pm by Abrachanox »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then. I'm going to manitan a healthy dose of skepticism though, because that's what I am. But alright. I'm going to consent to this...TRIS client. I'll see if I can recruit. Let me get a random character generator for my character and read through the backstory.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Servant Corps thank you for your interest in Abrachanox, so far

Servant Corps
Strife26

have been accepted.

I will be sending you a PM shortly, if interested I plan to have a quick game ready soon today if you want to be the first Solo Beta tester.

Abrachanox has been updated recently and is in a playable state, needing testers to get the feel of the game, will unlock download section on the official website to accepted members.

COMBAT SYSTEM
------------------
For those curious how the combat system will work in Abrachanox it works very similar to the game Fallout. For those that aren't familiar with fallout, it had a turn-based system in which you'd move in real-time anywhere on the map until you hit a random-encounter, or engaged in combat in which case the game turns turn-based with the person with the advantage at the time going first.(You sneak up on someone and attempt to attack you go first as you have the drop on your opponent). Abrachanox features the same ideal, except in it's own custom based lore. Items and equipment found in game can be used to help turn the tide of battle.

Combat is brutal with descriptive text's of blood and gore. There is also a wound system which you can view under your "My Character" section.

--------------------------
States Of Mind And Health
--------------------------
Wound's come in many forms, shapes, and sizes, heres a list of the states you or your enemies will encounter should they be inflicted.

Healthy - self explanatory, the character looks as healthy and feels as healthy as can be. No damage what so ever.

Barely Injured - It's just a flesh wound, really, you either got cut by the tip of a knife or a bullet skid right by your skin.

Injured - Ok you're hurting a bit now, the flesh wound isn't so light as blood seems to be oozing out more then usual, either someone beat the shit out of you or you've taken in a few bullets.

Badly Wounded - Your nearing your limit to the ability to stay alive, you've received many wounds in which blood wont stop spilling from. Medical attention is urgent.

Almost Dead - The lights dim, your bloods draining dry, you feel dizzy and tired. The end of the road is near and you can see it coming, any last words?

Dead - Obvious last trek for everything in existence, only difference is you made it there sooner then others.

Morale is a factor that come into play for Players, and NPC's that can be influenced by health, the situation, or the actions done in the game.

Determined - This character feels certain about the situation, feels ready to complete the task at hand.

Eager - This character feels a compelling urge to complete an objective, often taking risks to complete it.

Cautious - This character is aware of danger, and is taking the necessary steps to assess the situation and act accordingly.

Stealthy - This character is determined to fight, or hide in a stealthy matter, often will fade into the shadows and attempt to do stealth attacks if able.

Terrorized - This character is lost in fear, often unarmed citizens will experience this if a group of armed men burst on the scene attempting to rob them. The character is unable to act, or move.

Exhausted - Out performed in every way, this character will soon be unconscious.

Panicked - Something startled this character to a point of frenzied paranoia, causing unseen actions, and attempted chances to flee.

Afraid - Is officially lost in fear, will only fight in self defense and always attempt to run away.

Brave - This character is ready for whatever is thrown at him, bonuses to combat and evasive roles are granted to a Brave character.

Vengeful - This is experienced when a character witnesses a close member to them get killed, often results in unexpected chances and risks being taken. Bonus to combat but negative to defensive roles, as they are in so much anger to avenge their fallen.

Shocked - A large amount of loss of block results in the character going unconscious or shock. Unable to act unless healed.

Disciplined - This character is well trained in every way, hardly anything will startle this person. Bonuses to combat and evasive roles.

(This topic will be edited with more information soon)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:43:10 pm by Abrachanox »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is anyone else disturbed the only reason he joined is to advertise. im not trying to bash him or anything but seriously. get a fortress filled with dwarfs killed or play a forum game. then i'll talk with you.

EDIT: and sorry if i come about as rude to you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:06:37 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is anyone else disturbed the only reason he joined is to advertise. im not trying to bash him or anything but seriously. get a fortress filled with dwarfs killed or play a forum game. then i'll talk with you.

EDIT: and sorry if i come about as rude to you.

Not rude at all, I've been following these forums as a guest for a long time. I've played Dwarf Fortress 40d and enjoy it thoroughly, infact the idea for the combat system is derived from the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress in the way it's detailed. The game also inspires from Fallout, Liberty Crime Squad, and Plane Scape torment in interactivity. I just recently signed up as an official member because I have gotten far enough on my project I am working on (TRIS) and want to share it with other role-players in an attempt to play a game run through the client system, in a world created as if playing a Forum-Post-by-post game. The difference is it's real time, and have the ability for more active and less time consuming games. Although games can last between 2-4 hours, to 2-4 weeks. Depending on the interest, and the rate the game is played. I expected this type of reaction from the player base as many of you are very territorial when it comes to action-by-post. True, I have no posted hardly anything on this account, but doesn't mean I haven't been around a long time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:16:10 pm by Abrachanox »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well thank you for explaining. (we've had problems with, i think Chinese, shoe sellers before) im not really into pen and paper type games though it being similar to the dwarf fortress combat has piqued my interest. i'll investigate further.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Username: (The one you will use to log into TRIS, your OOC name): Servant Corps

*Character Name: (Your Alter Ego and in game name, go based off scenario can have just a firstname, or both first and last name.):
Ufuk Wayne

Character Nick Name: (What other players and NPCs will know you by when you first meet, before you tell them your real name)
Mr. Wayne

*Character Description: (Details about your character, Race, Gender, does he have a scar, what color is his hair, eyes, permanent features that other people will read and NPCS will use in game):
This tense gentleman has hooded brown eyes that are like two tiger-eye gems. His thick, wavy, chocolate-colored hair is worn in a style that reminds you of a turtle's shell. He's got five o'clock shadow. He has a broad-shouldered build. His skin is tanned. He has a weak chin. His wardrobe is strange.

*Beta Position Applying For: ( Group, or Single):
Single

Sorry for the awfully long character description. As I said, randomly generated.

Abrachanox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, could you list an instant messenger that can be used so that we can communicate and discuss the download of TRIS better.

If any other interested people would like to post their information quicker, please leave a user name to an instant messenger service. The ones I use are X-Fire revenge1110, AIM gokubrolly1212, and MSN koolarmy1218@hotmail.com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

So how would this work, exactly? <_<

NightmareDream14 on AIM, by the way.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: [1] 2