Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'  (Read 20711 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Civilizations - Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2009, 07:55:47 pm »

Heh.
I just had a funny thought.
What if some aliens are having the same discussion on their own internet forum.

What if there was an alien Al Gore?

Oh wait, we've already got one. His name is Al Gore.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2009, 06:28:43 am »

Heh.

Eh, I was never thinking about this, but it sounds logical, so yeah...that is very possible..  :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2009, 06:09:07 am »

unless we were first to develop radio (within a bubble of 120-150 LY).
if any civ discovered radio after us, they would not have recieved static, but our chatter.
Possibly causing them to discard it as a usable communications medium, but certainly convincing them of there being others 'out there'.
(or: there may be informational beings living in the aether!)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:57 am »

if any civ discovered radio after us, they would not have recieved static, but our chatter.
Possibly causing them to discard it as a usable communications medium, but certainly convincing them of there being others 'out there'.

Ooh! What if the 'noises' generated by unfocused radios, is, after all, aliens' chatter?
That means...

Somebody take over from here, I'm a physicist, not a xeno-bio-physic-chemist.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:58 am »

Er... it means that alien's voices are hella annoying?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2009, 05:04:51 pm »

Like: fusion is impossible even inside stars, it only starts up as a gasball is infected with Bacillus Astra, which has the ability to catalize the process. These are rudimentary lifeforms at best and stretch the definition of life to breakingpoint. ?

Aside, on scientific predictions of life:
I don't really understand the parameters that are chosen for suitability for life, they invariably seem to be limited to only earthlike biospheres. Although there is as yet no factual (specimen) basis for alternate biosystems, I feel this is extremely conservative.
I don't expect life to develop eventually in any environment ,(though if free energy is available and borderline lifeforms are dropped in the soup, I'd expect succesfull infection sooner or later.)
I do, however, believe life will arise in any given universe regardless of the constants involved. Extremely shortlived universes may be problematic. Change the basic rules, change the definition of life.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2009, 03:38:43 am »

Well at those ranges it'd probably be like shining a flash light on something at range on a bright sunny day, unless they are close they won't notice anything different from the backround radiation.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2009, 06:05:53 am »

Here is the basics of an old metaphysical equation concerning life in the universe: (i am sure its incomplete or not completely accurate as to the equation specifics  - i think its a million to the power of 10 when its done).

If 1 in a million stars have a planet than could support life &
If 1 in a million of planets that could support life does &
If 1 in a million planets with life has life evolved beyond micro-organisms &
If 1 in a million planets with evolved life have intelligent life &
If 1 in a million planets with intelligent life have discovered tool use &
If 1 in a million planets with tool using life forms have discovered technology &
If 1 in a million planets withg techologically advanced life have begun space faring......

then there must be a billion trillion of space faring life forms due the the enormous size of the universe.

The idea that any life we find will be feeble compared to our own is still humano-centric garbage undeserving of scientific merit.  As is the old 80's theory that if any life ever visited earth it would be peaceful because only peaceful life could advance to that level of technology without killing themselves, which is purely anti-human but clearly humano-centric thinking.  lets not even get started on the TERRIBLE story in the latest "Day the Earth Stood Still" movie.  By Armok, we should rise up and slay hollywood just for thinking of making that ... that ... theres just not word enough for it.  Wait, i got it!  That utterly ELVEN movie!

edited:  for spelling and removed potentially political thoughts.......
As it turns out about 1 in 2 stars has planets and a decent fraction of those systems will have a planet somewhat like Earth in terms of distance from the star and stuff like reasonable gravity and the elements that we know work for at least one form of life so far- and though the  chances of having all three of those and a few other things that may be major factors (or may not) that's still looking like a lot better than one in a million.
The one in a million tool users progressing to high tech seems silly. It only took us a few thousand years after we got half decent at the growing food thing and it's not like many (one in a million?) would even have the chance of wiping themselves off the face of the, well, other-earth before they got to high tech. Best chance for that I can see would be an industrial revolution that set off some disastrous global warming but that's pretty far fetched.

The "feeble" life thing makes a bit more sense looking at two simple things: the amount of time life on our own planet was in such a phase and the number of civilizations that have contacted us. If there is a civ many thousands of years further along than us they totally skipped things like radio broadcasting, stopped using it so long ago that we've already stopped getting their transmissions before we had a chance to look, or they're damn far away from us. All three of these options are far fetched and even that last one leaves a pretty small margin of possible times.
So basically once we start visiting planets we're pretty much going to find the feeble type of life first. Any nearby life we wouldn't have met at our current tech is what the star trek folk would call an anomaly.

As for peaceful visits once you know that other stuff and have a bit of an idea of how material-expensive space travel is there's no reason to make war on a developing species. Most habitable worlds are just going to have dumpy little bacteria that might not even mind you being there or be a problem for you and comparing one of those worlds to one that's had so much of the material mined out and converted into so much garbage that you might think a new continent was forming out in he pacific ocean... well who the hell would bother taking this away from us? It would just be so much more expensive (and "our population is growing out of control!!1!" isn't a reasonable problem because you'd have to basically exhaust the resources of a planet to haul the population off of it for just a few years so all you can get from that is not having to control your population for a short while.)

I believe some calculations put there like 15-16 thousand Civilizations out there.

Main issue is that they most likely are COMPLETELY alien, were not talking star trek aliens, were talking about eyes coming out of there mouth mounted testicles, they probably wouldn't even have feet, maybe not even mouths or even eyes. (Edit: Testicles are earthlike things aren't they? Remove them then.)

Not to mention Cultural differences... Oh gods the Christians would be horrified.

Even if they were able to get to earth, they'd be REALLY STUPID to make first contact.

I'd be within a year after first contact, at our current situation, we'd blow ourselves up.
If every alien species has managed to translate things like that first it would make sense why they steer clear of this rock.

Aliens also probably wouldn't have language

Eh, they could have language, just probably not as we know it.

They could but there's no reason to expect it anymore than to expect them to be bipedal

or to have "peds"
Fishapods, insects, and land squid all seem to have developed them fairly independently so that particular one is a fair assumption unless they're aquatic floaty types with nothing ever having thought to scuttle about on the bottom of their ocean-kadoodle.

The one thing Scifi keeps ignoring is just how huge and empty space is ...
Early on we basically got in the rut of imagining starship battles as being pretty much like WW2 naval battles with frigates all over the place with a ton of small manned fighters zipping about  ::)

Yes, there's well over 100 billion stars in this galaxy, and we know of at least 100 billion galaxies, so ... there is a chance there's life somewhere.

However the Sun is an exception: Most stars are binary systems, and stable orbits are unlikely near those.
We find it fairly often at relatively large distances from the stars but recently we found one pretty close to it's pair.
But it's really only about half that are binary.

Also the Sun is in a safe location, since it follows a galactic arm at some distance.
When you understand that the arms are not a physical cluster of material spinning about with the galaxy but rather a compression wave (and therefore brighter thanks to the birth of many short lived stars,) it seems obvious that most planets that have been around as long as ours should be behind an arm.

If we were in that arm where new suns are born and old suns explode every couple of 100k years, or close to the galactic center,
Ok, that one's fair. Middle of the arms is pretty much a good place to look. The scale we're talking there though is pretty big so we won't be having to worry about even having the option of sending whatever over to anything else for quite awhile.

we'd be more likely to be hit by supernova explosions, or have something heavy alter the orbits of the Sun's planets. Stars in a stable, safe location like ours are quite rare.
We've got a whole strip down the back-middle of our arm of the galaxy to look at for now.
(Also life can probably only exist near Sun-sized stars: Small stars like brown giants are too cold, big ones send too much dangerous radiation and don't live very long before exploding.)
Yes and no. The radiation from one star isn't any different from that of another except what color it is. Our ozone layer shields us from a lot of the stuff the sun sends out way and our magnetic field keeps the solar wind from ripping the atmosphere off of the planet.

Not all big stars explode. Lots still ultimately end up as slowly cooling balls of iron and/or lighter elements after they've puffed off the last of the gas they are going to.

What you got right is that larger stars don't last long enough for us to expect civilizations near them.

As for small stars they've technically got a whole lot longer for the chemistry of life to do it's thang so the only trouble there is getting a suitable planet for it that's close enough to have 3 states of water temperatures, though with how long some of those stars last materials with similar properties aside from having their tripoint at much much lower temperatures are worth considering even with the slower chemistry.

Also, to make life, one needs heavy elements. These did not exist in the early universe - after the big bang, there was only energy; when that cooled down, it became mostly matter and antimatter which made more energy; some particles remained -- Hydrogen and Helium.
And a dash of lithium but since you were complaining about supernovae being all over the place in the spiral arms this shouldn't be a problem since they disperse all manner of heavy elements with that characteristic bang.

In order for us (mostly carbon, with some oxygen and iron etc) to come around, the Hydrogen and Helium had to form stars, which then fused Hydrogen, ran out of hydrogen, burnt at hotter temperatures creating heavier elements up to iron, and exploded in supernovae creating elements heavier than iron, and forming new dust clouds.
This must have taken a while - supernovae need to build up and go boom (tens of million years only, for very heavy stars), the escaping material needs to form dust clouds, these need to form into new stars ... eventually you'll get dust that is rich enough in heavy stuff to make earth-like planets.
And with all of the space we're considering here there are undoubtedly places that became life-available earlier than the Sol system.

Scientists estimate this would take some 10 billion years.
If you're reading sensationalist reporting -_-;
Earth is like 3 billion years old, and the universe 13.8 billion years if I remember right -- that means the Sun is probably among the first suns to even have enough heavy matter to form an Earth.
Add about 1 billion to both of those.

Still, with the universe as huge as it is, it must have life somewhere.
The size is another problem: No information can go faster than the speed of Light ... and that has been very much proven in Physics. Travel to somewhere that's even a hundred thousand light years away is pretty much infeasible if you consider the lifespan of human civilizations ... the whole planet would need to cooperate just to send a handful of people away, to never hear of them again. Likely?
We've got numerous countries cooperating just to send some hunks of metal up into space and so far it looks like they'll keep working together at least until we get someone on Mars so sure, it's likely enough.

More likely though is that we'd send robots ahead of us, since they don't need that whole life support shabang. NASA has sent off lots of stuff that the people working there aren't still there for by the time they get where they're going so it wouldn't be that different.

And once some robots found a world we were welcome on or an unclaimed one we'd pretty much send a small population over there just because a lot of us are aware of how it's possible for everyone on a particular planet to die in a cosmological disaster and we're a bit nervous about keeping all our eggs in one basket.

Sorry I sound like such a pessimist.
It's ok. When nobody else has ideas grounded in reality you kind of have to.

Source for my badly documented rant above is in an excellent astronomy lecture series by an astronomy prof, in German, which covers, among other things, questions such as "how real is Star Trek?", "are there aliens?" etc.

http://www.br-online.de/br-alpha/alpha-centauri/alpha-centauri-harald-lesch-videothek-ID1207836664586.xml
I'm glad there was someone else in this thread who knew a little more about this stuff than what you pick up reading fiction but judging by what you got from it he's a little out of date.

Still puts you way ahead of the curve though.

You know what I like? There are 3 kinds of alien believers. Those who believe they will be nothing like us and those who believe they will be awkwardly similar.

Why can't they have 50 legs and 2 eyes? Or 50 eyes and 2 legs?
That's got everything to do with coordination. If you look at the region of our brain we use for one limb and then multiply that by fifty they'd basically have to carry around a brain as big as ours just to control their body as well as something with a much smaller brain. Now, the brain is a pretty hungry organ- ours just about eats up half of the calories we consume ('cept maybe for fatty fats,) and for animals that don't basically have guaranteed food that kind of thing is going to mean starvation if it doesn't pay for itself, and right between social behavior and art it almost never does (likewise the gap between being coordinated enough to win fights against rivals/your-dinner and being social is also a hard one to breach, but once something does they're extremely successful.)

Now, as for 50 eyes that's a bit different because it depends on the type of eye. 50 like what we have is going to be a problem but 50 small ones that add up to a similar surface area of the retina (or more specifically similar number of rods and cones,) would be pretty ok in terms of mental requirements, though if they can move them that does mean 50 time as many muscles for it so the requirements would be a bit higher.
In terms of material cost to grow them though it's probably not worth it because dividing the volume by 50 doesn't scale the surface area down the same way.

But then again I don't see what good more than 4 eyes does for spiders so I guess I don't really know how factors for multiplicitus eyes work anyway.

Also, to make life, one needs heavy elements. These did not exist in the early universe - after the big bang, there was only energy; when that cooled down, it became mostly matter and antimatter which made more energy; some particles remained -- Hydrogen and Helium.

In order for us (mostly carbon, with some oxygen and iron etc) to come around, the Hydrogen and Helium had to form stars, which then fused Hydrogen, ran out of hydrogen, burnt at hotter temperatures creating heavier elements up to iron, and exploded in supernovae creating elements heavier than iron, and forming new dust clouds.
This must have taken a while - supernovae need to build up and go boom (tens of million years only, for very heavy stars), the escaping material needs to form dust clouds, these need to form into new stars ... eventually you'll get dust that is rich enough in heavy stuff to make earth-like planets.

You post was very well written. However I have a question. Why do you think, that only Earth-like planets can support life? We don't know anything about other systems or galaxies at all. Our knowledge is very minimal in this case.
Mostly it comes down to water.
Water is made out of hydrogen and oxygen which are both very common thanks to stars and their fusion habits. There are other molecules that can serve the same chemical role but they are made out of relatively exotic materials or require extremely low temperatures (and as far as chemistry goes you can treat that like it's going in slow motion.)

We know that life can handle some pretty extreme situations but we don't know if it can develop in them from the start.

[Anyway, there must be billions of Earth-like planets in the various galaxies probably.]
Now yet another interesting fact: How is it possible that not a single alien civilization has visited our planet?
That's called the Fermi Paradox. The answer most people lean towards is that they nuke themselves.
Now, one world had to be the first one to develop a civilization like ours so that could be Earth but as we gaze into the heavens time and time against we've found that our world is pretty average in every way we thought it special or unique. There's no real reason to think that we had the best conditions for developing a civilization (especially when you look at the super long periods of time where life didn't seem to develop very much until some catastrophe stirred things up and got the ball moving again,) so that's just kind of a technical possibility more than a likelihood.

Another idea is that life is too frail to make long trips through space (astronauts lose a lot of bone and muscle mass,) but this idea is getting a bit dated because we could make artificial gravity just by designing our space craft to spin (having a little station attached to a counterweight and having most of the ship shaped like a big doughnut are popular designs,) but in recent years we've learned a thing or two about development and found that the way our bodies measure the stress on our bones scales right down just fine so you could strap vibrating pads to your astronauts (and maybe to your lazy children as well for an even greater effect) and possibly eliminate the biological downfalls of zero G.
*I don't think a human trial of the vibration thing has been done yet but with my understanding of bone growth it oughtta work. 

Probably there are lot of advanced alien civilizations in our galaxy, or in other galaxies.
Seems undoubtable that there should be in other galaxies but in our own we have to have been at least one of the very first for there not to be a civilization spread all over the place.

This means, that even they weren't able to solve the "huge distances between systems & galaxies" problem.
Robots can undoubtedly make trips that long and we'll be able to make them sophisticated enough that they could set up little colonies for themselves on various planets to launch more robots till they'd visited the whole galaxy in a measly couple million years. Practically the blink of an eye when you think about how many civilizations should have had the chance before us.

Interstellar travel? How do you do it? Foldspace engines. We just need a way to break reality and fix it once we're done.

Why does every alien civilization use lazorbeems? Why not a cluster bomb that explodes into 100 cluster bombs that each explode into 100 more cluster bombs that each have 100 nukes inside? It may not be practical, but it'd be fun.

But if there's a misfire w
In terms of effect that's not all that different from what they did in Ender's Game.

Any kind of structured communication is a language.

Well if you define language that way then sure

But if they communicate by say, pheromones, it would be nonsense to call it "language" in the sense that we have, which is sound-based and uses symbols (words) and grammar and is also hardwired into our brains (which is why kids acquire language but don't learn how to communicate via pheromones)

And if they were telepathic there would be no need for language; they'd just send ideas straight to each other and cut out the middleman.

Specially if they have abstract concepts, which aren't instinctual.

Abstract concepts can be instinctual
That would require a perfect psychic interface but if their biology was subject to even half as many options for defects and variation as ours you'd have to do a pretty hefty load of interpretation or they'd just have a lot of members they couldn't communicate with at all except with a translator conveniently in the middle of their two mental types, or possibly a chain of translators.

And if they were telepathic there would be no need for language; they'd just send ideas straight to each other and cut out the middleman.

Different parts of the universe do not have different laws of science. Nothing is born with telepathy, period.
If you had a magnetic version of what ants do that would be awfully close.
And they could even carry magnets around to allow them to lie to each other  :o

(If I remember right, chemistry/physics says silicone life forms such as bacteria would be possible, but mating would take 10.000 years or more ...).
Well silicon cando the same chemical backflips as carbon, or just about anyway.
Problem is that the compounds silicon forms are all rocks instead of things like butter, cooking oil, and sugar.

Pheromones used to say "i'm hungry", "i'm afraid" or "this way to the lavatory" don't need a language. Using pheromones to describe how to build a bridge or to perform mathematics or to tell someone "I wouldn't want to go anywhere without my wonderful towel" would need a language.
I'm hungry-towel n_n

Quote from: Samyotix
Small stars like brown dwarfs, hmm: Basically gas planets so huge they fired up nuclear fusion inside, but not a lot ... if I remember right, it's too cold around those. I think we'd need a sun larger than 1/2 solar mass or so
Why do people stick to this? If you want more warmth, choose a planet very close to a dim star. If you want it colder, choose one far away. The amount of energy received from a star is inversely proportional to a distance from it, squared.
WHAT? MATHS!?

There's a little limitation in what kinds of planets can form where and planets that would migrate in closer are a complicated enough ordeal that they'd be quite limited.

A long lasting species colonizing a planet near a small star seems like a bright idea though.

Scientific model shows that yellow dwarfs, of which there are approximately a gazillion*, possess a habitable band. They also have a predicted lifespan of around 100 billion years.

*not a real number.
"Habitable band" is just a zone of certain level of radiation flux. No reason why e.g. brown dwarfs shouldn't have one. Same with brighter stars, though of course their lifespan is limited, but then, we are happily assuming that life always needs as long a time to evolve as it did on Earth.(which might be, might be not)
The technical explanation most often left out is that for smaller stars the band becomes so narrow that you won't find a planet with a circular enough orbit to stay within it.

Think lower. 1/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance still results on a crapton of aliens.
Zeroes don't work that way bub.
There would only be about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 non-binary stars in the observable universe. At your chance it would be a long shot to just get 1 instance of life in that.

It's not as much a question of how many life forms can be out there, as what is the density of star systems containing life. In other words, if it's too far, in another galaxy, or in this one but 10000 ly away it doesn't really matter.
Maybe our civilization lasts (by which I only mean doesn't collapse so hard we have to start over from scratch,) another two million years so we could have close relations with them for almost half of that.

You folks keep talking about a 'chance to for life to exist,' or a 'probability that life will form' but I see no possible way for anyone (aside from God) to possibly calculate or accurately quantify that.  You don't even have a pool of 'existing life' (aside from ourselves) to choose or to construct models from.  And, moreover, if you consider that most of the different types of life on this planet are unique, that throws another spin on the puzzle.
All the life on Earth is carbon based living in water and using some combination of DNA and RNA to record it's body plan. Almost everything uses the same 20ish amino acids and I don't think there's anything that deviates from the code by more than two of those.

But ya, we don't have a second source of life to look at so we can whittle away places based on the things we know about our own chemistry down to a point but after that it starts become less measurement and most estimate. If you go out and look at the primary sources for most of the estimates the people here are throwing out there's usually a maximum estimate that just shows how many options are left when we reach that uncertain step, a decent middle ground estimate, and then a pessimistic estimate.

One form of life on a planet might or might not work.  But finding one form of life on a planet isn't very useful.  If you want to get really accurate, what's the probability of finding TWO forms of life on the SAME planet?
Without extremely rapid chemistry it's unlikely because the first form of life to reach a stage where it makes more of itself is basically like going from snail speed to breaking the sound barrier. It gets everywhere it can go so quickly that it's hard to imagine life from a different set of chemical reactions popping up at the same time AND having such a defined body plan that the two wouldn't merge in the act of trying to eat each other (which technically amounts to just one life origin.)

This is, of course, using the evolutionary model.  And if that's not enough, how about THREE forms of life?  Now throw Earth into the model and see if it remains intact.

It's all good and fine to start with one form of life and then have it evolve into others, but then you have to take into account the probabilities involved with that.  Namely, the probability of the life surviving whatever process is involved with changing into the other, the probability of the both forms being able to survive the crossover (and that one doesn't inadvertently extinct the other), the probability that the life in question even begins the process of changing.
I'm wordy enough as it is without running a genetics tutoring session so I'm just going to recommend that you visit wikipedia and read as many biology articles as you can stand...

Then you have to do that for each and every change.

I mean, comon, folks.  You're talking about complex physical and chemical structures as if they pop out of thin air of their own accord.  It doesn't work like that.  As for relying on chance, I don't think there's a being somewhere in the universe sitting on a pedastle flipping a coin and saying to itself, to mutate or not to mutate, that is the question.
Well, someone's always gotta bring that into these topics on a forum  ::)

And I agree with Il Palazzo: If it's too far away, it might as well not exist (here here for the humanocentric point of view).  That is, of course, provided it exists in the first place.

I'm gonna add another caveat to that: If it's a single celled organism it isn't worth anything.  We've got plenty of those here on Earth.
We've got plenty of plants too but each new one might have something interesting to it that would, say, lead us to a cure for all cancer.

...I need to get some sleep so we'll see if the other 2/3rds of this thread has enough novel material for me to make another post this large tomorrow~
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »

Yup, I made one longer. So long I broke the 40000 character limit.
@Sean:  Ummm... when was the last time you examined a single-cell life form?  The last time I checked, and I'm relying on somebody else to be accurate so I haven't actually looked myself (I'm not rich at all, being in college), they outclassed supersonic aircraft in complexity.  Honesty compelled me to add the caveats in the preceding sentence.

I would ask you to prove 'life's staggering ability to evolve,' but I just fell over (I blame momentum:  blasted physics).  Maybe not, but I don't want to go down that path just yet... and I'm sure that particular path doesn't lead anywhere good.  In any case, I don't believe I have the requisite knowledge to either prove or disprove any information that would actually result from the question had I actually asked it.

And that was entirely too much writing on something I didn't want to ask.

-(e)EP
Complexity depends on how you want to count the parts. Because we're dealing with molecules the scale is very different and not just in terms of "it's hard to think that small." The most similar part to a jet engine is so small that a bacteria can have many hundreds of them. In most applications they don't actually propel it but they are a component for the flagella so they're sort of half-an-engine that can be coupled to things other than pushing air, either via physical coupling or just being involved in a chain of events. That's almost the same thing really at that scale, though you'd never think it without much exposure to kinetics (for instance any free floating molecules in water is basically spinning a million times a second- you've never seen videos made to show things bumping the wrong spot a dozen times and then almost hitting dead on but facing the wrong direction by a little bit.)

The emergence of life is a staggeringly improbable event. Really, it would start with the emergence of a replicator (nowadays they think RNA was the first to appear) which can then eventually turn into life. But all of these things, not to mention the development from single-celled to multi-celled life, are extremely improbable. The fact that it happened on earth and eventually resulted in us makes it seem inevitable to us, but really, there's no reason to suppose even statistically that it must have happened anywhere else. You need the conditions, for one; a planet with exactly the conditions that ours did a few billion years ago is improbable enough by itself.
Because somebody you already agreed with said so or because you know a thing or two about what kinds of combinations of atoms do what?

Carbon Based Life
One of the neat things about carbon is it's unique position in the periodic table.  We have an entire branch of chemistry (organic) for all the interesting things carbon does.

In order for life to be non-carbon based, it would have to be based on another element with similar chemical properties (I.E. tons of reactions enabling the detailed dance that is life.)  There are relatively few elements that even come close.

That being said, on the basis of chemistry, we can establish sets of chemical reactions robust enough to support life.  Looking at those sets gives us the capability to generalize.

It also says that it isn't unreasonable to expect life to be similar to earth life.  (Because the same forces of evolution and 'what works' will be in play for alien worlds, even if they come to slightly different answers, or the random processes work out slightly different.)  Take the surface area to cell size bit
Unless all of their "animal" forms are descended from a worm they are not likely to have a "face."
Those mass extinctions that pave the way for the next explosion of life don't favor the organisms best suited for the old environment but rather those that were off in a corner somewhere but that can now do some D+ grade adapting to other environments because nobody is in them. Unless life always produces reptilian dinosaurs that compose the main class of life for many millions of years without any fundamental changes until a catastrophy wipes them out and then burrowing rodents diversify to fill up the ecological space the dinosaurs used to take up (I used that example because you'd be most familiar with it, not because that step would have the greatest impact on body plan,) we're going to be quite different.

But ya, we can rule out giant amoebas and things with fifty arms and legs.

RNA and the probability of Abiogenisis
read this... nuff said.

if not : more

Language
IIRC All languages on Earth follow two basic formats, and even they are noun-verb based.  Arguably this is a good representation of reality, but still.

As previously mentioned, all human languages are also linear (One word follows another)

Finally, there's a lot of evidence that are brains are hardwired to use language the way we do.  It's possible we may not be able to even comprehend other languages.  Fun, that.  Same thing for advanced sciences.  We're reaching the limit of the human minds capability to actually grasp our discoveries about the universe.  We may KNOW things, we just don't UNDERSTAND them.

If only there were wave-particles at the scales we're familiar with~

I wish I knew what a non linear language looked like.
All of the words at the same time could work for certain modes of perception. Obviously doesn't work well for us but dogs can pick out a particular scent no matter how many other smells it's getting at the same time and things like mantis shrimp see a world of color where we see only dull grays.
*they're the only critters that can perceive circularly polarized light, and it's hard enough to just describe what that is much less grow a way to detect it.

Anyway, we happily argue about the possibilty of life on other planets without really defining what does constitute "life", which should probably be the first thing to do before starting any discussion on the subject.
So, what IS life? And what isn't?
Is it the replication ability?
Is it the growth?
The localized reduction of entropy?
Is it the storage of information?
Is the cellular structure necessary?
Are e.g.viruses alive?
Is it the complexity?
Does it have to be complex at all?
At which point in time the simple aminoacids of the primordial Earth could be called alive?
etc.
From the way we're talking about it what we're really interested in is intelligent life so most of that isn't a concern.

Now, this still leaves us with the problem of defining intelligence.

Based on observations from the Hubble Space Telescope, there are at least 125 billion galaxies in the universe. It is estimated that at least ten percent of all sun-like stars have a system of planets[28], thus if a thousandth of a percent of all stars are sun-like, and there are roughly (estimates may vary) 500 billion stars, on average, in each galaxy[citation needed], there are 6.25*1018 stars with planets orbiting them in the universe. If even a billionth of these stars have planets supporting life, there are some 6.25 billion life-supporting solar systems in the universe.
The Milky Way probably has a max of 400 billion stars and we're a long way from being able to worry about what's in other galaxies.

dog piss

Kind of impossible to talk like that. It's also a horribly inefficient form of language.
It's very efficient in terms of how long it takes to communicate, but dogs aren't really thought of as the most intellectual of animals. If you decoupled the scents from waste removal you'd have a system with a lot of potential though actually learning a language based on that might be quite the task.

Ya me too I'm a big fan of Pinker myself
I got to attend a presentation of his in person n_n

Also dog piss is not a language; it's not symbolic
Howling and barking aren't a language either yet the way dogs use sound is not quite the same way humans use sound.

Also the Drake equation (or any other attempt to statistically prove there must be intelligent life out there) fails because there is no reason why life even if it exists would advance to the point of multi-celled organisms, much less extremely complex ones like we have on earth, much less ones that evolve intelligence
If you don't know anything about biology.

That's right where the equation gets fuzzy but there are plenty of reasons to transition away from unicellular organisms.
Like this: http://pleion.blogspot.com/2008/11/watching-multicellularity-evolve-before.html

Complexity is a lot like clutter on a desk. It just kind of piles up and the more clutter you've got the more complexity is needed to deal with it~

Of course, once in awhile it goes too far and you end up with songbirds who have chests so large they can't actually mate but there are plenty of species that don't wreck themselves like that and you mostly only see the ones that survive.

The Drake Equation fails because he pulled most of those values out of his rear.

Anyway, screw life on other planets. I want the planet, and don't want to bother with foreign disease.
I rarely ever see it in 'first encounter' sci-fi, but foreign microbes would make other Earth like planets (or multicellular aliens) giant bio hazards. War of the Worlds (the original book) comes to mind on that subject.
The way I understood it it wasn't meant to prove anything. He just wrote up the equation because everyone else was too paralyzed by the range of possibilities to move on to higher thought about the subject.

Assuming water-and-carbon life we are getting pretty close to being certain about the first so many parameters and so far they've all been closer to the optimistic estimates than the pessimistic ones. Even if there's not life there are going to be worlds we wouldn't have to do a whole lot to make habitable all over the place as long as we last long enough to move onto them.

As for the biohazard if they don't use DNA or RNA there's effectively no chance of viral issues (since a virus needs to use your bodily machinery,) and if it's stuff like bacteria most of those aren't toxic anyway.
I figure by the time we get over there we'll be good enough at genetic engineering that and kids on the ship could whip up something that would eat up any hazardous materials on the planet in their "my first monstrosity" playkit.

What I find interesting is that people mostly imagine aliens to be more intelligent than us and their civilizations more refined than the ones we've got. What if it wasn't so? What if the human race was the most intelligent thing in the whole universe? Wouldn't that be a huge disappointment?
Yup.
But he reason you see so many imaginings of high tech aliens is that there's so little reason for all the intelligent species to pop up at so similar a time that they were all on the same tech level.
Had the dinosaurs died out 66 million years ago instead we might be a million years more advanced by now.
-Seeing as we can't quite go a visitin other worlds just yet we've got to imagine them visiting us.

Though if we're the smartest thing around that would still technically mean super-advanced aliens, just that they would be us. How would you interact with less advanced worlds?

sorry, for which part?

edit: for the habitabilty part, it's mostly based on the wikipedia article, which of course might be a complete bullcrap, and I wouldn't know the difference.
Here's one of the pictures from said article(link in Tormy's post)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

for the 2g gravity's bad influence on human bodies, it's based on my perception only. Look at how easily veins in human body become damaged(varicosities) and how increased blood pressure leads to heart problems. Now think of your heart and veins having to deal with twice(or more) as high blood pressure as it usually is on Earth(higher g=higher hydrostatic pressure).
On a space station, on the other hand, you can set any gravity you want by simply making it spin fast(or slow) enough.
And I do believe that it'd be easier to build some space station-habitats than send a colony ship, carrying the same amount of people, on a journey that'd likely take 40+ years.
Yes but making a large space colony is rather resource intensive and you can dig out the ground underneath it to get all the metal ores and things you're building it out of. Eventually you wanna use the gigantic habitats that are already there if they're in a suitable condition.

But that all comes later, for now we should definitely get to work on setting ourselves on a spinning perch in the heavens~

Considering the age of the universe compared to the age of Earth, and even the age of the Human race as it is, I think it's mathematically impossible for us to be the first and greatest intelligent life in the universe.
it is not impossible. it is just unlikely to happen.

It might not even be unlikely. Perhaps the galaxy is a little more dangerous to life than we expect, and earth was just lucky to only get a few Mass Extinction Events and no sterilizing; or perhaps the last "generation" of intelligent life knocked it's self back into the stone age in a war.
Those cases would make us "not the first."
And technically we're still not sure we're lucky enough to hit the next big degree of civilization. We're getting pretty close but as we do the pressure to kill each other might because much greater.

One way or annother, there's two conflicting pieces of evidence: the Drake Equation and the Radio Silence. There are a few possible solutions to this problem:

- We are in a zoo or otherwise protected.
- All intelligence life before us never thought of using Radio.
- Intelligence is not evolutionary advantageous.
- We are god's chosen species.
- We are first.

And there are certainly others.
The Zoo hypothesis has a certain charm; if only because it makes for the possibility that one or two times in a decade, the game warden lets some hecklers in.
That's one of those things you can always scale up though. Even if we were at war with the Klingons and blah blah triangle zone in the middle blah that whole set up could still be the enclosed zoo or maybe even just an entertainment simulation.

Though for radio silence there could be noisy civilizations several tens of thousands of years older than us making all their racket on the other side of the galaxy, and possibly anything in the millions of years range might have stopped wasting so much energy letting it just shoot off into space.

- We are first.

The first is definitely true in the sense that "evolutionarily advantageous" is totally dependent on the rest of the life on the planet. Human intelligence evolved under a whole crapload of pre-conditions; it never would have happened during any previous geological era. There are so many factors that contributed that all of them coming together again is incredibly unlikely.

The second is probably true, because of the first.
Any social species with limbs useful for grasping is technically a candidate because for that one window of time Africa was churning out an awful lot of hominids of striking intelligence. We were the only ones quite as smart as we are but if certain others had lasted a little longer they were pretty much close enough that they could go the rest of the way to the intelligence of ours that has made technology possible.

We have single handedly sidestepped evolution because of our intelligence.
Tell that to someone with muscular dystrophy.

How is that not an advantage? We are the top of the food chain, and we will not allow ourselves to die out,
That remains to be seen.
and we will probably end up artificially evolving ourselves at a rate far greater than that of natural evolution.
I wouldn't really call it evolution anymore when you can skip all the middle parts and go straight to a target form.

- We are first.
probably true.
Statistically unlikely in my own opinion, but right now there's really no way to prove that.
We all say our opinions are based on statistics (well most of us,) but that makes it so frustrating to try and inform people about updates to their statistics :/

By "sidestep" and "won't let ourselves die out" I mean sort of the same thing. We won't let people die that should die, and by doing so we are sidestepping natural evolution. It still exists in other ways, but death is only a ghost of the factor it once was. Breeding is still a factor.
With evolution death and breeding are part of the same thing.

Humans are interesting though in that our females don't die as soon as their reproductive phase has ended. That's so rare in the animal kingdom that you can pretty much say it only happens when your reproductive fitness is dependent on something other than making babies.
With elephants it's that the matriarch has been around long enough to learn the drought patterns and lead the herd to water the younger elephants couldn't find. With us, well, that tends to be one of those drama subjects so you can probably more or less work out what our grandmothers are useful for in the privacy of your own skull.

I'd say our intelligence also allows us to adapt rapidly, but with little or no selection. It's still an advantage there.
The disadvantage is everything leading up to that point. A bigger brain that doesn't grant the advantage we have is a bad thing- you need some kind of way to make sure each step is more useful than the last or else the common selective pressure everything else is under will send you down small brain alley.

it's just a natural process
Is there a special term for artificial creation of genes then?
That's part of genetic engineering but as I heard it put once we've been trying to learn to read the language so far but it's going to be a totally different ball game once we start writing it.

I'd say it's statistically extremely likely.
And yet there are no actual statistics for this kind of thing. You look out at the universe, see how far it goes, and you have to realize there must be something else out there.
I "feel" like there has to be _____.
That kind of thing is a really bad way to go about figuring out how the world universe works. You should avoid it.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2009, 08:31:11 pm »

When people refer to statistics about alien life, there's just a FUCKLOAD of planets out there. There's a billion galaxies containing a 100 billion stars. Note: Rough estimates I am picking from memory.

Now if even 0.01% of those stars have planets and a further 0.01% of those planets are earthlike, there's still thousands of planets with life out there.

Of course, there may be far less.

It's like "A million to 1 chance." for life to NOT exist there. That's the common metaphor. Even tough it's more like a 1 in a billion chance.
You can make it easier to remember by saying there's 100 billion stars in a galaxy and 100 billion galaxies in the part of the universe we can see. Some people propose very different numbers but it's a good enough estimate.

While we do have computers and airplanes and spaceflight, if you take a pack of humans and a pack of tigers and drop them in the Savannah with only what they can make, even though the humans might be able to make clubs and plan strategy, they will likely loose to the tigers. Even more so if we had humans fighting apes, who, forgoing brain development, are much larger and stronger than we are. Sure, we have guns and huge cultures, but that did not help intelligence evolve in the first place.
Kind of an unnatural set up you described there. Intelligent species get to benefit off of what their parents had, or at least intelligent ones anything like us. Tigers just need their parents until they've grown to a certain point.

Though if you put humans with spears against opponents of a similar total mass the humans will probably win. If they managed to make some functional shields they might not even get any major wounds.

But just dump us in the same pit all of a sudden and ya, the humes are screwed.
Sharks, while having been virtually unchanged for the entire history of mammals, are dumber than bricks. The same is true of cockroaches and alge; yet these species are evolutionarily successful.  It could be that nearly every time a gang of extra-terrestrial Squidbirds mutate and devote a significant amount of energy to growing larger neurocluster polyps, they end up getting eaten by faster, stronger, stupider LandSharkAnemones.
Living in trees would be pretty handy for avoiding that~

It's just that on this one particular planet, a group a scavenger apes happened to grow larger brains at just the right time so that while the species around them where freezing in an ice age, they where saying, "hey, let's take the fur off of THOSE guys.
There is no "just happened" in evolving larger brains.
Did you know that chimps just about go to war with each other? They'll form little raiding parties and then go looking for the fisherdwarf all off on his own and then wail on him until his limbs are all mangled (probably also testicles o_o) and then run back home and hoot and holler about it to each other. In a society like THAT there's a lot smaller gap between the size of brains chimps have and the size where having a brain that's just a little bigger starts to be useful at each step. Obviously they still haven't bridged that gap but it does mean we only had to make some fairly small change to bridge it ourselves.

By the time the ice age was over,  those early years of relative weakness had vanished because the initial inherent weaknesses of intelligence (long childhood and huge food requirements, for instance) had been overcome by the advantages of group hunting and society.
Not all of the places humans live were subject to that ice age though. African folks seem to have a pretty similar mental capacity and their babies sure don't have a shorter childhood (except in that it ends early more often thanks to the horrible agricultural state Africa has been in since Imperial Britain's day...)

In fact, MXE could be essential to the development of intelegece by ensuring that complex life goes through occasional diversity explosions instead of stagnating in stable and simple ecologies.
I agree entirely. 
Oh, I should also say that we might not be first, but if we adjust for light speed, a civilization 1000 lightyears away will need to have developed radio a thousand years ago, and perhaps they only did 800 years ago. This naturally scales, so by around 10,000,000 LY away, there might be cultures with interstellar empires that are already extinct and we just haven't seen them yet.  Oh, and ¿; I think what Jude is saying is that even if humans modify genetic code, it is still part of evolution- this may be true in a sense. I think it's debatable myself. I'd go on balance and say that artificial selection and engineering are both specialized forms of evolutionary processes.

PS: Yanlin, I believe that the number of planets with stars is closer to ~100%, and the don't go by "earth-like" go by chemically active worlds where replicating compounds can form, even if they use sulfur-silicon bonds and hydrochloric acid. I'd say there are at least five worlds like that orbiting Sol (Venus, Earth, Io, Europa, Titan), that number being perhaps ~20% of rocky "planets". Go with annother 20% of those generating life (of course, this could be as high as 40 or 60% depending on what we find.).
Once we get a crack at exploring Jupiter's moons we'll be able to make a lot more informed judgments about how often life pops up, even if we don't find anything.

For us to have been able to detect the alien races using radio, they would need to be still using radio some egregious amount of years ago. Or, specifically, if we see a planet in a telescope, the inhabitants of that planet would need to be using the radios right then. Basically, if NOW we can identify a planet in a faraway star system as possibly life-supporting, it's very possible that the life in question has long since abandoned radio communications. It's also entirely possible that common-frequency radiowaves are subject to entropy and gradually deteriorate (to draw a far-fetched parallel, think how it takes high voltage to transmit power over long wires) - since distance between even "nearby" stars is enormous, we could well be simply unable to hear anyone from other stars. Radio emissions from pulsars and the like are different, primarily because the pulsars are freakin' star-sized radio transmitters, so comparing average radio or TV broadcast stations to them is... wrong, at best.
Radio waves are light waves so as the light from the nearby star gets dimmer the radio waves would get dimmer at the same ratio. If the star isn't obscured by another star sitting right in front of it we can easily tell if we could make out radio waves from them by how well we can make out the star.

Rather, I think that humans today would lose to tigers (and have huge food requirements and long childhoods) because they can.
We're not that genetically different from our cavemen ancestors. If you gave a couple of them some of our babies to raise you'd never know the babies were from our time.

They don't have to worry about being dropped into the savanna to face tigers without tools, and we can afford to eat a lot and spend a long time raising children (and derive benefits from those, mostly in the form of increased environmental manipulation abilities). Higher intelligence allows more environmental manipulation, which allows more resources to devote towards intelligence, which loops back around and reinforces itself.
This is more applicable to how we got to throwing spear at tigers...

The same way that the tigers are moving towards the optimal hunter for their environment, we are moving towards never having to be hunted by them in their environment.

Those environment-manipulation skills were extremely useful because they let us use things like clothing and tools that let us compete in areas that we hadn't adapted to, and thus meta-optimize. It wasn't that we needed the ice age to survive, it was that the ice age gave us a bunch of opportunities because rather than the slow process of changing ourselves to suit the environment, we could quickly change the environment to suit the way we were.
Ice age evolution is really outdated these days and typically looked down on thanks to the implied racism...

Aye. We had even less time to evolve than those fancy ass tigers. If they are allowed to use the best means they have, so are we. They're trained killers. We got trained killers.

Hell, us humans are the mightiest of beasts.
I always kind of wondered if someone trained in anti-tiger kung fu would elegantly collapse a tiger in a single strike without seeming to have even been in any danger...

All that technology has left us physically weak though. We almost stopped evolving physically when we started using tools.
Actually no. We went from the tower-of-muscle build to the we-run build and it's not because of tools.

Average chimps have the muscles of professional boxers powering their arms but with the shape of their hand this only lets them slap each other damn hard or fling a big ass rock in the general direction of an opponent.
Their fingers are long enough to curl around a stick or whatever but they're actually so long that the tightest "fist" they can make has a gap down the middle. Anyone who has really punched something knows that you want your fingers in a really really firm position or else you're going to do serious damage to your fingers sooner than later.

So one of the early evolutionary steps we took was shorter fingers and a thumb that could swing over in front of them for even more stability.

And their pinky is proportionally longer than ours. When you make a fist and see that your thumb isn't helping that particular finger it makes sense why we would have reduced it.

So we evolved to change the chimp's grasping tool so that it was also a club. THAT is the reason we began to move away from a stumpy wrestler build. We no longer needed the low center of gravity (just look at a gorilla's legs compared to their arms and you'll see it right away,) and walking plantigrade (on your heel,) instead of digigrade put us in a position to be some of the best endurance animals on the planet. There is probably nothing else that can walk and walk for hours under the heat from the noon sun near the equator but let us bring along a little water and we'll outlast any other land animal.

That allowed us to improve our brains though, so it's not all bad, but sometimes I think it's a good idea to forget human rights for a second and dump several million people in a very inhospitable place to live for a few (hundred) generations.
Hell, if aliens wanted to invade the Earth, all they'd need is detonate an EMP charge of a few yottawatts' power near our planet and we'll be done for.
Humans are born philosophers, not killers.
Your personal degree of violence in largely influence by what social factors shape your early years. Serial murderers are kind of an odd case that's a bit harder to explain but between brawler and philosopher humans run the gamut.
They can take down a tiger without tools, if they use their brains and are not afraid of it, but unless you pick the strongest and most trained people it's still going to take at least three people to one tiger. And at least one will die. Versus a hungry shark, average humans have no chance.
See that Mythbusters where they punched a shark in the gills?

Yeah, but we can make tools out of anything. A simple branch can turn into a deadly weapon in an instant. And if you're going to use an arena where nothing that can be used to hit things is available, you might as well go the whole nine yards and put the humans in vacuum.
But if the sharks had lazer beams on their heads we'd be done for!

Yes, tool using is the major advantage of intelligence. My point was that it is plausible that this advantage is not necessarily worth the cost in terms of brain development; for one thing, only one species on planet earth, out of millions, has developed it.

Perhaps of the 1/1000000 planets with life, there are only 1/1000000 with complex life rather than bacteria-like replicators, only 1/1000000 of these has intelligent life (similar statistics to the percentage of intelligence as species on earth), and perhaps all but 1/1000000 of these intelligences are rather static, living just fine without leaving hunter\gatherer state. (much like many human cultures before western missionaries invaded.) That would go a long way to explaining our quiet sky.
Actually no, there's a growing list of species that use tools, if only for getting at a morsel tucked away somewhere their paws can't get at.

Tools as weapons is a lot rarer but so is killing other members of your species instead of just winning a display contest that shows that you could. Well, it's a bit common in insects where all of their chances at mating are crammed into just a few days instead of having multiple years to get around to it like most animals.

So with all of your reproductive opportunity on the line you'll fight to the death but if there is another day tomorrow you'll probably put up with losing at arm wrestling.

Yes, tool using is the major advantage of intelligence. My point was that it is plausible that this advantage is not necessarily worth the cost in terms of brain development; for one thing, only one species on planet earth, out of millions, has developed it.

Perhaps of the 1/1000000 planets with life, there are only 1/1000000 with complex life rather than bacteria-like replicators, only 1/1000000 of these has intelligent life (similar statistics to the percentage of intelligence as species on earth), and perhaps all but 1/1000000 of these intelligences are rather static, living just fine without leaving hunter\gatherer state. (much like many human cultures before western missionaries invaded.) That would go a long way to explaining our quiet sky.
An educated glance at the history of life on our own planet weighs heavily against such an estimate.

Number 1 is the most likely. It is EXTREMELY LIKELY that NONE of them even SAW earth. Perhaps they are too busy amongst themselves.

Any civilization with enough resources to go around checking planets for life has got to be in some state of inner rebellion. This consumes all their time and leaves little possibility to explore space.
I'll just add that even if there was one that happened to notice our radio transmissions a decade ago that anything they sent back would only have covered a fraction of the distance in those ten years, and in the mean time they're watching our television shows from several decades ago right up to where they'd have a good view of where we were in the 90s once we finally got the message they wrote us after hearing our radio from like back in the 20s.

Well from what we know of humans, USA is a prime example. Even within its own borders there are terrorists that wish to bring it down. They can't just throw money at it.

Not this isn't exponential, but it is an inseparable part of civilization. Aliens with the resources to explore space are probably too hard pressed actually staying a civilization!
What if they're more like Canada?

Whoops, answered my own question there: we wouldn't care about them.

jk jk.

no we'll turn Jupiter into a terrestrial planet
... riiiiiight.

Jaked, Are you aware you can quote multiple other's posts in one response? And that you can edit quotes so that you just show what you are responding to?

Below the post and preview buttons is a list of previous posts in reverse order. At the top left of each post is a hyperlinked "Insert Quote". If you click this, that post is added to yours.
Oh jeez, I've been doing it with multiple tabs all this time.

Well, that kind of works better for so many pages but it's a waste everywhere else in the forum.

Heh.
Aliens in another universe might be arguing about how slim the chances are of having free quarks and viscous space...

Just a few light years away and the signal is plenty weak enough that aliens could overpower it with radio towers no stronger than our own. To receive it very well they'd have to point at us and make sure they were isolated from their own towers else it would be little more than a ghost image in their early television sets~

Ooh! What if the 'noises' generated by unfocused radios, is, after all, aliens' chatter?
That means...

Somebody take over from here, I'm a physicist, not a xeno-bio-physic-chemist.
Naw, our telescopes can look right at the noise and we named it the CMBR. It's light from that early, hot, opaque phase of the universe that's just now getting to us. Eventually with how expansion works as we watch the fog lift it will eventually recede beyond the event horizon and our vintage televisions will be free of static unless we purposefully generate some.

Like: fusion is impossible even inside stars, it only starts up as a gasball is infected with Bacillus Astra, which has the ability to catalize the process. These are rudimentary lifeforms at best and stretch the definition of life to breakingpoint. ?

Aside, on scientific predictions of life:
I don't really understand the parameters that are chosen for suitability for life, they invariably seem to be limited to only earthlike biospheres. Although there is as yet no factual (specimen) basis for alternate biosystems, I feel this is extremely conservative.
I don't expect life to develop eventually in any environment ,(though if free energy is available and borderline lifeforms are dropped in the soup, I'd expect succesfull infection sooner or later.)
I do, however, believe life will arise in any given universe regardless of the constants involved. Extremely shortlived universes may be problematic. Change the basic rules, change the definition of life.
It's all about the chemistry. Carbon forms chains and has all these different resonance configurations depending on the chain. Imagine if the longest strand of DNA you could make was 50 bases long and that was only if it was that particular order- change a few of the bases and you need three different molecules to store the sequence. And it would be even worse if you had to deal with different bonding chemistry if you changed the order of amino acids.

You know those arguments pastors at some fundamentalist church make against the chances of a mutation being beneficial? That stuff would actually be true/accurate without the qualities carbon has. Using carbon is a lot like having interchangeable parts. You could even use some of the wrong type of gear just because it still fits and has notches the right distance apart.

As for water that's an argument about the range of temperatures water handles (thermophiles have managed to keep water from boiling at those crazy temperatures they live in,) and because of how it works with our cell membranes. If you had life that wasn't cell-based you could probably get by without water but it would take a very different chemical process and it's really better that we wait until we've seen something like that than try to imagine it and assign it a probability. For every estimate of carbon and water we give having less than a solid basis you'd have a probability for other types with almost no basis.

For most astronomers the range of certainty is narrow enough for biology like ours but not enough to say anything about biology totally unlike ours.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »

I know very well how DNA and proteinis work, thankyou. They work very nicely.
I'm just saying that just because we have not seen life that operates according to our water+carbon chemistry, is it reasonalbe to discount any other form of chemistry?
At near absolute zero temperatures many new and exciting effects are observed.
Also I guess that artificial lifeforms can be concieved to take advantage of many energysources besides photosyntesis / glucolysis.

Too little data. wishfull thinking is seductive. :)

What if FTL travel turns out to be impossible? I'd predict a universe full of robots. or lots of 'seed arks'. As we have seen no evidence of such (except maybe the existence of life), does this mean FTL IS possible?
Again too little data. no evidence is not evidence, else God would be real and I would be smitten with leprosy.

Your right about the radio.
Still they would know about us and depending on their level of xenophobia would probably shield or ban their radio.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

Oi, Shoku, mind if I sig those posts?  ::)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:07 pm »

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but. Isn't a silicon based life form possible?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »

sillicon can form similar bond as carbon, so it is conceivable.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2009, 03:52:07 pm »

UCCGUGAUAGUUXAAXGGXCAGAAUGGGCGCXUGUCXCGUGCCAGAUXGGGGTXCAAUUC
CCCGUCGCGGAGCCA

It is an RNA sequence, no clue for what or how, but it sure as hell doesn't seem to go anywhere
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13