Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 3451 times)

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
Re: What is this?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »

Wow, somebody who likes the music as much as Toady One :P!
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 04:52:45 pm »

The music was just Toady strumming randomly.
If you want tabs, he may have provided some somewhere, try searching for it.
I do have one thing to say:
This is DF's learning curve.

No units are marked due to inconsistencies in the amount of time that actually takes.
Some people, that cliff hits in a day.
Some, a year.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 05:22:19 pm »

Greetings!

Most of the important things have already been said. The complexity and flexibility of this game/toy is highly addictive and allows for various styles of play from murderous rampages of an adventurer out for genocide, over a cruel dictatorship fortress where all useless citizens are mercilessly killed to a peaceful trading fortress focusing on producing jewelry and the like for the various merchants visiting it. Even though still unfinished, it offers you incredible flexibility while the world itself is much more alive than anything you find in any commercial titles (check regularly the thoughts of your dwarves on their profiles page).

One piece of advice which has not been mentioned explicitly:

The Wiki is more or less the proper manual, so to speak. It contains a lot of detail information especially about how fortress mode works.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

As for giving dwarves orders, you can only order soldiers around directly. For the other dwarves, you can only activate or deactivate labours in their unit screen ('v' then go over the unit 'p' -> 'l'). These labour then restrict the dwarf in what she will or won't do. Only a dwarf who has carpentry activated will go into your carpenter workshop and build a bed you ordered, for instance.

However, you can't tell a dwarf to do a task NOW. You can give out general orders to the fortress like "I want a carpenter's workshop built here", "I want this workshop to produce a bed", or "I want a tunnel dug out here", but you are completely at the mercy of the dwarves as far as the actual execution of the projects are concerned.

When playing fortress mode, you are usually confronted with four basic needs - food, drink, safety, and happyness. These are the things you may wish to look out for.

And DON'T build your first fortresses in haunted/sinister places or near rivers! I suggest building near a brook ... it makes life much easier (^_^;;

As for the question about roguelikes, actually only the adventure mode shows much resemblance to a roguelike.

A basic roguelike is a game where you control a single adventurer diving deeper and deeper into a randomly generated dungeon, slaying monsters and collecting treasures while at the same time facing the danger of starvation and dying of thirst. The name of the genre is derived from its first venerated example, namely "Rogue".

Roguelikes have quite a lot of freeware branches, like Angband, and these branches usually keep the ASCII graphics that came with the original "Rogue". However, there are also a few commercial roguelikes.

The most famous roguelike is probably "Diablo". Besides adding graphics, it also moved into the realtime genre, but once you look beyond it, you can clearly see that it is just another roguelike. Other roguelikes I know are "Elderblaze" and "Masterblaze", both of which from the same company, adding graphics but keeping the turn-based designed of the original rogue and many of its freeware descendants.

The adventure mode in DF can be considered a roguelike while the fortress mode actually moves into quite a different direction.

Deathworks

amz181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:19 pm »

thanks again to eveyone, youve cleared up alot :)

And as for the tabs, the search function on the main forum page doesnt work :( so does "the toady one?" visit the forums often, because i want the tabs :P

And it doesnt sound like improv, as each piece loops nicely without sounding repetitive or stupid.

And yes i love music :p guitar to be specific.

thanks again to everyone

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:54 pm »

im not quite sure how often. he only seems to post occasionally in places other than the df announcements board. you'll have a easier time contacting him than three-toe though. he's here only on the full moon, where he does wild things. like post here.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »

The title screen was random.  The game music was a bit more prepared.  I don't have any tabs.  A while ago, I posted a little intro snippet that I remembered here

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

but it looks like the forum move messed with the last part of that.  I've forgotten the rest, mostly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:03 pm »

This is an interesting topic. Somebody posting about Dwarf Fortress before they have even played it.

Now know if you have had experience with Roguelikes in the past but had a difficult time getting into them, this will seem a bit easy after reading the basic Wiki articles. Generally every action you can do is listed on a side bar(If there is no side bar, press TAB until it comes along. Please ignore the 'minimap' though) and after you learn about z-levels, using the (d)esignate and (b)uild menus and the basic needs of your dwarves everything falls into place.

Things will seem confusing at first. If there is a symbol you do not recognize, just press 'k' and hover the cursor(The ingame one, not the point and click one) over the offending symbol. Then look it up on the Wiki.

Seriously, that thing is like a Bible.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

amz181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »

toady> thanks. I may try and arrange a tab for the rest of it, and the other music, if you dont mind ofcourse. Ill post it on the forums when im done :) its alot easier once youve got a starting point.

duke> I shall keep the wiki handy as i embark on attempt two.

stoned funeral

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 11:45:28 am »

The song_game got repetitive as I logged hours on the game, but I still love the DFINTRO and song_title. I also downloaded the Kobold's quest and liked the music on that as well. Seriously toady, you are one creative genius

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »

What is this?

THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 09:29:42 pm »

Toonyman, I love your avatar.  the 10th kingdom is sweet.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »

I know!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:34 am »

To the OP: The wiki and the tutorials on YouTube are great, but you might also like to try and really back-to-basics play-along tutorial I wrote. It's in my sig file. It gives you a pre-made world and save to play with and then you can play along with me step-by-step and learn the game as you go. I've had a lot of good feedback so far and it's up to 6 parts and.. I don't know.. maybe 18,000 words! With heaps of pictures too!

Can I get an M.A. in DF yet?  ;D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:49 am »

This is an interesting topic. Somebody posting about Dwarf Fortress before they have even played it.

Actually, I've seen that already, even here, on this forum.  :)
In fact, Toady has mentioned in an interview, that some of his donators are not even playing with the game...they donate, because they enjoy reading the various stories & community games. Pretty epic if you ask me.  8)

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »

well ya gotta see it from my point of view, here i am safe in the land of good old zelda and cod, and i find this weird entity.
Not to mention that fact that some of your illustrious members are having "dreams" about DF. Which is, slightly strange to say the least.

im gonna try and download now... im gonna get the normal one...

i want my mommmy

hey those dreams are COMPLETELY normal, actually its kinda fun, not everyone knows the feeling of dreaming in ascii :P , its kinda weird, plus (at least in my dreams) its like i see things in ascii and i want to give orders with my mind....

on a sidenote another thing that happens to me a lot after playing df is seeing stuff and thinking how good they would be to build a fortress on them, so far one of my funniest ones was, steping out of the shower, looking at the toilet, and staying 15 minutes looking at it and thinking how i would build a fortress on it
Pages: 1 [2] 3