Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: infect/necromacy RTS  (Read 3474 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: infect/necromacy RTS
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

I just remembered a game I used to play that was like this. Homeworld: Cataclysm. There was a side called the Beast which gains tech by infecting other units.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:22:14 pm »

A more recent game of that sort is Genesis Rising: The Universal Crusade. You harvest DNA elements from the enemies you kill and use them to construct your own fleet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17:48 pm »

Well if you want to control/destroy HUGE armies, you should try out the fantasy RTS called Heroes of Annihilated Empires:)
IIRC you can raise the dead in that game btw.

You can, but in all but one occasion it's completely useless and training new unts is both faster and cheaper. Here's the trick to make a useful(read: highly overpowered)  army out of nothing: Play as the Undead(duh), get a Lich hero(mage IIRC) and choose hero mode. Find a battlefield where 2 other players clashed pretty badly(other undead armies are very good at this), hit the necromancy aura and (optionaly) a speed boost and enjoy your unstoppable skeleton swarm. Leveling up your hero makes them both tougher and more powerful, quickly outclassing even enemy t2 units.

Don't get the game unless you are willing to put up with it's flaws though. The undead are only playable in skirmish, the dwarven races are unfinished and randomly tacked on and the game is VERY crash happy, especialy on vista. And the non-steam version comes with starforce, which for the uninformed, is a drm scheme that somehow physicly destroys your dvd drive as well as being very picky about wether or not you are allowed to patch the game. It has been boycotted into only being used by 1C now but some older games(like this one) still have it so beware.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 02:00:59 pm »

1C is using DRM? Russians using DRM? That's just damn useless. All Russians are pirates.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 02:09:18 pm »

That's the thing. 1C (and Snowball, and NewDisk) periodically uses StarForce, we common russians bypass it on the first available occassion.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:40 am »

Sheesh. That's worse than their shadow government.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 09:23:56 am »

I think we're gradually making them realise it's not doing anything good. I rarely purchase games, but some I do and will - Majesty 2 and Elemental are very probable candidates. However, even when there is a game that I am inclined, or even determined to buy, I will not do so until there is a way to bypass the StarForce protection, if it is used. Usually that means I end up downloading the thing off our local net, and not buying the game. Here's to hoping that whoever will be releasing those two games here will not be using anything like StarForce on them.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 03:25:07 am »

And we Indonesian gamers ALWAYS[\u] buy pirated games cause:

We are pirates from bi

Everyone has conspired against us

It's too pricy and no-one really sell official games here, not counting the Korean MMOs, anyway

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:37:28 pm »

1C is using DRM? Russians using DRM? That's just damn useless. All Russians are pirates.

1C publishes everything that other companies wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole, including DRM apparently.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »

Well, there's Machines, a 1999 RTS from the old Acclaim (not the lame one that makes MMOs), the units and buildings are all the same for the factions, but I guess that's symmetrical balance. You can also control individual units in an FPS mode. There's this unit that carries a weapon that infects other units, turning them to your side, then there's this other one which gatheres the wreckage of your and your enemy's machines and converts them into resources.

Apparently it's for free now. Get it at Wired for War

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 08:19:27 pm »

Hmm well this probably isn't what's being looked for exactly but I was just playing dominions 3 and if you've ever played one of the numerous death based empires there's plenty of necromancy...

Manicmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:06 am »

Warcraft. Especially Warcraft 2. peasants+ death and decay+ raise dead= Pointless but fun. :P Y

heres a little known game called metal fatigue, came out about 2000 I think, where you can scavenge parts (L/R arm, Body, Legs) from downed robots (ComBots), one can even take off arms with a good attack. Bots can attach arms directly to themselves, or your harvester units can grab the parts and take them back to base, to either be used on your own bots, or be reverse engineered.The map is divided into 3 parts, orbital surface and underground, bots can't go undergound only your vehicles. A golden oldie I highly recommend.just watching the melee combat is great, the bash with shield, get weapons stuck in each other so plant a foot on the enemies chest and yank it out..ah, good times!

I also recall a star trek game, an rts, where you could beam boarding parties over to enemy ships to take them over, you could also target their life support to kill the crew.

Warrior kings: Battles has a unit that you need only create one of, you send them to munch on resources to breed and become a gibbering horde.

Don't forget about dungeon keeper 2 either, you can capture enemies and either convert them in the torture chamber, starve them in the prison to get skeletons,  or kill them and have the bodies taken to a graveyard to attract vampires.

Can't half tell I love games where I can capture/ convert/ raise dead can you? :P
JESUS CHRIST ITS A SKELK!!! GET IN THE WAGON!!!<BR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:<P>It''s true what someone once said, "The only things more insane than the dwarves are the players."
Anticheese: The undead don't kill. They recruit
Momaw: Ennui is a pointless word.  By the time you're feeling it, you don't care what it's called

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:20 am »

It's possible in Total Annihilation. Take the aircraft transport, find a place where the opponent is expanding with a lone con.Kbot, lift it, take it to your base, capture it with your commander. Now you can build the other side's buildings and units too.

Naturally, Supreme Commander kept the idea.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 12:09:46 pm »

One of the official downloadable units rezzes scrapped bots, too, doesn't it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 12:19:25 pm »

That too, yeah. But it's available for only one side.

Pages: 1 [2] 3