Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: infect/necromacy RTS  (Read 3475 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
infect/necromacy RTS
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:57 am »

when i first played the alien vs predator RTS for Xbox the aliens blew my mind. you just kept spawning these weak things and killed the enmy and used theyr corpses to make more guys...but i cant find anything else like that. any games out there that let you raise armies of dead or creates tons of creatures from corpses and have a huge war happen?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: infect/necromacy RTS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:00 am »

Well if you want to control/destroy HUGE armies, you should try out the fantasy RTS called Heroes of Annihilated Empires:)
IIRC you can raise the dead in that game btw.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:44:04 pm »

hmmmmm if I remember correctly there was also a Borg assimilation rts, but I never played it so I don't know if it is good.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »

There's a Star Trek Warcraft 3 Map that allows one player to be the Borg.  You go around assimilating planets and ships, and if you assimilate a drydock...

The only problem is that the balance is weak.  The "Independent Empires"(Players who aren't Romulan, Klingon, yada-yada-yada)generally end up as food for the Borg, the Romulan Hero Ship has permanent invisibility and can permanently shut down buildings, ships, and planets, Species Whatever can't leave Fluid Space until someone opens a whatever, and that takes like an hour, and chances are they'll be wiped out within minutes because whoever opened the gate is almost certainly ready to face them.

But playing the Borg is coolsauce.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:12 pm »

There was the Army Men RTS for the Gamecube, in which after killing Tan soldiers, you could send out your harvesters to harvest their dead melted corpses for plastic which you could then use for your own soldiers.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:20:20 pm »

Gruntz lets you suck up the goo from the corpses of your enemies and bake that into a new soldier for your cause.  But I don't think that's quite what you're getting at.

I have a relatively clear picture of what you want, and I have to say that I want it too.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:32:40 pm »

There was the Army Men RTS for the Gamecube, in which after killing Tan soldiers, you could send out your harvesters to harvest their dead melted corpses for plastic which you could then use for your own soldiers.
I had that too... problem was there always seemed like there wasn't enough plastic to go around, even after melting every single frisbee... oh, wait.. i'm doing that "thing" again, aren't I?  :-[

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »

Gruntz lets you suck up the goo from the corpses of your enemies and bake that into a new soldier for your cause.  But I don't think that's quite what you're getting at.

I have a relatively clear picture of what you want, and I have to say that I want it too.

Is that the one where a Baby Stroller is actually a trap? (and a good one at that!)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:01 pm »

Sacrifice (RTS), PC, has a main part of the gameplay being harvesting the souls of your fallen enemies to make more and/or stronger creatures.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:12:21 pm »

played sacrifice, i mean every time you fight you use the scraps to make even more soldiers. sacrifice is limited and not even really an rts. its in first person. but a good game none the less. if only the last lvl was beatable....

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:15:28 pm »

Is that the one where a Baby Stroller is actually a trap? (and a good one at that!)

Aye, that's the one.  Lovely little thing that, especially when placed next to a couple pits.  Don't even give them the chance to proclaim their dislike for SPAM.

Sacrifice is awesome (and it's third-person, not first), and although it's still not quite the infection/necromancy game style, it's worth playing regardless of where it was recommended.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »

if only the last lvl was beatable....

It is very beatable. You just have to realize that to destroy the bad guy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:38 pm »

Another vote for Sacrifice.  One of my favorite games of all time.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »

i dont knwo what type of sacrifice your playing but for me he comes out after i get my first to monoliths, ive tried tons of combinations, even gotten close to beating him. but he summons that death thing and it one hit kills all my creatures and i lose

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:30 pm »

Death can be a major pain, but it's also unwieldy.  If you can get him to chase after one of your faster critters, try running him as close to the enemy's units as possible.  If you don't have any other targets to set him loose on, just try flying your guy far away.  The spell timer will be drawn out longer and you won't lost as many units.

An easier way is just to keep an eye on Marduk, and have a good disruptive spell on hand (freeze is priceless).  Find out when he starts summoning death, and then freeze him.  The spell will be lost and he won't be able to cast it again for some time.

Just keep prodding him whenever he starts a nasty spell like that, and eat away at his critters.  An infinite number of souls he does not possess.

War of attrition.  Eventually you'll have all his souls and can just line up a good combination of units for keeping him busy, and for quickly taking out the guardians of the various monoliths (if he shows up, try your damnedest to keep him from picking up the souls.  Otherwise, you'll have to fight against some more of his creations, and it's always hard taking away those last five souls he's got).

Slime is good for tying him up, but it won't disrupt spells.  You can probably get away with using it in conjunction with erupt however, since it makes spellcasting take an ungodly (ha ha) amount of time.  But the necryl never really struck me as that great of a unit anyways, at least not compared to the other level three units, so I'd suggest just taking something else for that slot.

Flummoxes, vorticks and flurries can also disrupt spellcasting, but they're unwieldy as hell.  Spells are the way to go for reliable stoppage.  You can also try silverbacks, but if you've got the souls and mana required to keep a few of those beasties around then you've probably already found a way of keeping the demon at bay long enough to make yourself comfortable.

"Rock" can also disrupt, but there's no guarantee you'll get it to work when you need it.  Especially if Marduk is hiding in a swarm of enemies, as he usually is.

I don't know if grasping vines can disrupt spellcasting, but I doubt that it does.  I do know that its big brother, meanstalks, can disrupt.  So can tornado.  And, while we're at it, bore.  Good luck with that, by the way.

So, yeah.  Pretty much just try and keep a big enough reserve of mana to poke him when he starts doing something you don't like, and use some leashed minions to pummel his forces into delicious soul-juice for your pleasure.  Takes ages, but it's safer than anything else I can think of, and it will ensure a bloody sea on your doorstep (which is always nice).
Pages: [1] 2 3