Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions  (Read 6806 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Index] - Suggestions not to Make
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 05:55:43 pm »

Multiplayer.

Multiplayer.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »

Potentially:  Anything that can be modded would make a good addition.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »

Potentially:  Anything that can be modded would make a good addition.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, it was always moddable to have Bronze be better then Iron for a lot of things, but that didn't make it an invalid suggestion. Or one that necessarily showed up so often that no one should bother bringing it up. This could be especially true with the new version, since there will be way more possibilities for improving on the base properties of everything. Sure, you can do it yourself, but if, say, Diorite has incorrect properties I don't see why someone shouldn't chime in with a suggestion saying "Diorite should have the values x, y, and z".

Although I guess those are a gray area between suggestions and bug reports. *shrug*
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 02:16:35 pm »

From the current Page 1:

Nurseries

Secret Doors
(OK, Deathworks is a really good, new idea, but the normal use comes up a lot)

Yeah, I'm less concerned about 'shouldn't it be this way' or 'better balance is this' suggestions as I am 'Add more this', and 'I like this critter and it should totally be in the game'.

Rephrase to : 'Adding specific content that could be user modded', maybe?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 02:22:44 pm »

Rephrase to : 'Adding specific content that could be user modded', maybe?

Hmmm....better. But is there really anything wrong with people suggesting that, say, pigs and domestic goats should be in the game? A given suggestion might be common enough to have a link to in this thread, but I'm not sure I can really say people shouldn't suggest things like that. It's moddable, sure, but it's also valid.

I don't know, maybe that just has to be looked at on a case by case basis. It's not like we can't say: "Good idea, you should mod that it and make it available to everyone! Or if you're not comfortable modding, put in a request down in the modding forum".
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 02:27:58 pm »

Links, as requested.

Radioactive: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.  Seems quite a common thought.

Electricity: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  Not -quite- as common a suggestion as I first thought, but the few that there are stick out in my mind so much because Toady has expressly stated that there will be no electricity in Dwarf Fortress, and yet it occasionally gets suggested anyway.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 04:56:16 pm »

I seem to see sand, raw glass, and raw gems being purchaseable from caravans, suggested quite often. I'll try to check up on that, and add some links here later on.

Also, you're welcome to add a link to my Inventions Megathread, if you'd like:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29591.0

For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 04:58:01 pm »

We probably should indicate somewhere that this thread is mostly a "Don't suggest these because it has been done a thousand times" rather then "Don't suggest these because they only serve to cause flamewars"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:28 pm »

That's true, Neonivek, but I don't think it would be a great sin to consciously work to reduce the amount of flame wars, if this thread can indeed serve that dual purpose 8)
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:51 pm »

That's true, Neonivek, but I don't think it would be a great sin to consciously work to reduce the amount of flame wars, if this thread can indeed serve that dual purpose 8)

Well... I can't think of many flamewar topics that arn't also done to death :D

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 09:34:22 pm »

I don't think this will come up as much anymore but "be able to make mechanisms out of metal"

The great game of Warlocks!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 09:37:54 pm »

I don't think this will come up as much anymore but "be able to make mechanisms out of metal"

It just was a day or two ago.  It needs to be on this list.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »

Your "Graphics Improvements" link is borked.

Also, probably add follow vein to mining, and sheets/beds/bedrolls to cloth. Those seem to come up a bit.

I thought I had one or two others as well, but I got distracted in another thread and forgot them :'(

[Edit: Ahh, restacking and hauling piles for improved dumping/hauling; which, BTW, probably needs a better example. The one given is a year old and obsolete as that actually is in the game now. I'd find one myself, but I'm too lazy :P]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:37:43 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:17 am »

A suggestion for this thread: If something is one of the dev note items, that should probably be noted (and which one). Also, if it is on the Eternal suggestions list we should note that as well.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5