Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a canyon?  (Read 1321 times)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
Making a canyon?
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:17 am »

Did up a search on both the DF Wiki and the forums, nothing on setting worldgen params to make one.

Basically, I want a canyon with a steep slope and a river on the bottom so I cn make a bridgefortress. (Main defense will be pressure-plate'd Drawbridges that dump invaders out into the canyon's maw).

Chasms simply won't do becuase they're too thin to put an epic bridge across.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a canyon?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:48:51 am »

Did up a search on both the DF Wiki and the forums, nothing on setting worldgen params to make one.

Basically, I want a canyon with a steep slope and a river on the bottom so I cn make a bridgefortress. (Main defense will be pressure-plate'd Drawbridges that dump invaders out into the canyon's maw).

Chasms simply won't do becuase they're too thin to put an epic bridge across.

turn of "periodically erode steep cliffs" or whatever it's called that similar to that. then go look for a river that travels through mountains. before departing you can check elevations. you want "extreme cliffs" next to low elevations.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:23:06 am »

Try looking for areas with multiple branches on the biggest river you can find.  As the branches tend to come in at different heights, which can result in a nice cliff. If it happens to be next to a major river, even better.

I have run across a few spots that have about a 3-4 z level drop right into a fish infested river, that is 30-40 tiles across itself.

And the extreme cliffs does not always reveal good cliffs. Also look at relative elevations, they can reveal some otherwise missed cliffs.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:28:38 pm »

In my experience, turning off cliff erosion doesn't really help much.

Try turning elevation x-varience all the way up and using a medium or small world size, and then turning off all the reject parameters. Rivers tend to be rarer under these conditions, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 04:40:12 pm »

Hello!

A little question: Do you need the river or will just a canyon do? What about a brook at the bottom? What other features do you need? And lastly, how large should things be (width of the canyon, size of the embark zone, whatever other important sizes you can think of)?

Deathworks

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:27:57 pm »

To get a good canyon, you'll really have to gen your world with an earlier version of DF that doesn't get rid of cliffs.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:25:49 pm »

I beg to differ on needing an older version to do it. As I use 40d and I have gotten quite good at getting cliffs to show up. The problem with most of the cliffs are ramps all over the place. Which is what most people don't like. Canyons can be a bit harder to run across due to how they get formed, but I think with the right settings, could get them to show up more.

Try setting your world gen paramaters with low elevation variance, like around 100. Set elevation mesh to as large as you can, and weight the 0-20 to as high as possible, and the 80-100 as high as possible, leaving the rest at 1. Make sure your erosion counts are low, and periodic erosion of steep cliffs is off. Just applied this elevation change to a freshly genned world, and found a spot with 100 some odd z levels, with a brook on the bottom of a upside down u shaped area, the sides of the u do not go up high, but the top of the thing is way up there.

*New discovery*Setting 20-40 as high as possible, and leaving 0-20 at 1, creates bigger rivers and is more in tune with what you are looking for. While doing 0-20 creates more oceans. The 20-40 tends to have nice river canyons along any river, the fun is finding one that has everything else you would be looking for. Always nice coming across 5-7 z-levels of a sheer cliff right above carp infested waters.

Then adjust river start locations based off of preferences, high number of start locations followed by a less amount of rivers tends to cause some nice spots as well.Though how the rivers works, has got me to thinking that a high erosion count, with the periodic erosion of steep cliffs off, would cause some interesting ravines. As it will run how ever many rivers you tell it to up till erosion is done, then cut them back to your desired amount. And the ones that get cut back tend to end up as brooks I have noticed.

Then after the world is generated, you need to know where to look for them. The Cliff indicator on the embark screen is rather mis-leading, I have found. What it tells you is how much the elevation on that one tile changes. For some of the more interesting cliffs I have come across, the cliff screen has showed ones or 2's. The key lies in the relative elevation screen. You want large changes in the relative elevation screen, along with a low cliff indicator.

I run a moddified version of DF most of the time now, but I could go and find a good world in vanilla, if people really wanted.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:23:15 am by Hawklaser »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:35:03 am »

Always nice coming across 5-7 z-levels of a sheer cliff right above carp infested waters.

Why does this remind me of You Only Live Twice... Ah yes.. See the trailer starting from 1:15...  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21poI4ZmIRU