Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking Problems, and The Lack Of A "Back" Button  (Read 1573 times)

Razin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking Problems, and The Lack Of A "Back" Button
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »

I did a fairly quick search, and didn't see anything related to this, so I figured I'd post.  Sorry if this has been brought up before.

One of my pet-peeves with this otherwise awesome game is a minor issue with the embark screen.  After genning a new world, I tend to spend more time then I'd like searching for the perfect spot, but that's not a big deal.  However, slightly more frustrating is when I get embarking problems (IE: no Bauxite), because i just genned the world and don't know which Civ has it available. I tend to forget about this complaint, until I lose that perfect spot and can't find it again when I reload the world, all for lack of a "Back" button on that particular stage of picking an embark spot. 

Long story short: Toady, please add a way to go back a step after choosing to embark  on a site, so that we can choose a different Civ without having to hunt down that spot again, if at all possible.  :)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Problems, and The Lack Of A "Back" Button
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:54:18 pm »

*applauds*

Back buttons here and on trading screens would be nice.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:40:36 pm »

Once your party decides to venture out and arrives at the spot, you can't just go "back," excluding divine intervention.

So make your divine intervention. Print screen. Save scum.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:57:40 pm »

Place a note on the site, then copy your save dir (aka "save-scum").

Personally, I always just choose the biggest civ.  I've always thought the civ concept was a little silly anyway given how unified the dwarves always seem to be.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:29 pm »

Once your party decides to venture out and arrives at the spot, you can't just go "back," excluding divine intervention.

If I'm reading his post correctly, he's not getting THAT far. He wants the back button on the screen where you choose the skills of the dwarves and what to bring and whatnot.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:22:56 pm »

There is a save button there! THen savescum!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »

Set the init file so the game automaticaly backups your saves when saving game and set it to save after embarking. Now you can simply save-scumm and nothing happened.

Or if nothing has been saved yet and you made fatal error, you can kill dwarfort.exe and nothing will be saved.

But ... losing is fun. Sometimes the best part of game is desperate repairing of your own mistakes.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:29:52 pm »

Still, being able to go back in the interfaces are such a good idea I wonder why it's not already in.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:46:29 am »

Those saying things to the effect that the feature is not needed because you can just terminate the process to load the save have completely missed the point of this suggestion. Using a convinient interface means never having to press Control+Alt+Delete, to perform a mundane task, like going back to the previous menu.

Being able to cancel the expedition before you leave, because you don't have the right supplies for the planned venture, is perfectly reasonable, fluff wise.

Plus, I've found myself searching for a cancel key, from that same menu, fairly often and been disappointed by it's absence. I just thought I was the only one, since I just wanted to be from a civ with a cooler name.

Imagine checking the preferences of one of your founders to find, "He is a citizen of "The Papers of Wiping." Oh, no; That's not going to fly.

Where is that cancel key? Space? No?

There isn't one?

Well crap.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 02:59:13 am »

If I'm reading his post correctly, he's not getting THAT far. He wants the back button on the screen where you choose the skills of the dwarves and what to bring and whatnot.

Sorry if i'm mistaken about the thread, but if you're in the "Prepare for the journey carefully" screen, you can hit ESC and go back to the main menu.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:15 am »

When you've searched for a location using the features search list, is there a way to cycle through the available locations that have been found to suit your preferences? I don't always agree with the first one it shows me, and I'm sure there are more than just one each time.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 02:29:44 pm »

Sadly, not yet, Faces of Mu.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 02:55:17 pm »

Sorry if i'm mistaken about the thread, but if you're in the "Prepare for the journey carefully" screen, you can hit ESC and go back to the main menu.

He wants to go back to the map where he's got his location already picked, not to the main menu.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 02:56:55 pm »

I'm all for this. I frequently want to start from a specific Civ, and if I forgot to set that before I embark it's a pain to have to cancel out, go back, find the exact spot, and so on.

I'm all for convenience!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 07:18:57 am »

We should have a start screen where we can separately choose the starting:
- mission
- equipment
- dwarves
Of course, they all depend on one another, so changing civ would erase the choices made between dwarves, etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.