Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: major FPS improvement, over 2x!  (Read 10580 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: major FPS improvement, over 2x!
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:43 pm »

I get about a 15% boost from putting locked doors at the head of each exploratory tunnel.
HE'S A WITCH!
Actually, he has something there. I recently sealed my human castle from the world and the FPS skyrocketed from a good 20 FPS to 40. Then I designated my entire refuse pile to be dumped while having the rest of my citizens grab an animal from my pen(Which has a one-tile entrance) and pit them in said pen.
 Previously that would freeze the game for a good twenty seconds. After laying down high traffic zones and setting the default to five, it merely went down to 10 FPS.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »

Pi: 3.1428657....

3? Massive failure on the writer's part...
Pi: 3.14159265358979

3.1428? Massive ditto

PS. Very entertaining thread indeed! I'll certainly try some of the tricks
It might have been a small typo of 3.142857…, which is 22/7, a common approximation of pi.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 05:45:23 am »

Say, what does "Gospel" really mean?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:28 am »

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2009, 02:40:24 pm »

Say, what does "Gospel" really mean?
It's a sarcastic misspelling of "go spell".

For the benefit of those who have no idea what this is about, here's a funny take on it.

Now, perhaps we should go back to discussing pathfinding costs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:44:58 pm by numerobis »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »

In response to the locked doors comment:

I recently had an interesting situation. On my current map, I'm using ramps to reshape the terrain. A couple days ago, almost all my miners trapped themselves in a pit while digging ramps straight down. My FPS skyrocketed from sub 20's to high 180's. I replicated it a few times (trapping my all my miners in a small area while digging ramps) and each time I saw the FPS increase.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

I find that digging areas of ramps kills FPS.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

I find that digging areas of ramps kills FPS.
Yeah, tell me about :( I've dug at least 3-4 thousand now.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2009, 02:12:36 am »

Ramps go in fast unless removing the tiles makes an "island" -- a set of tiles on a particular z-level that are not supported by any other tiles on that z-level.  Same goes when you remove the last square of an island.  This happens a lot when you dig a big block of ramps, and not much most of the rest of the time.

My guess is that this is related to the cave-in code; if true, that would mean that turning off cave-ins in the init would speed up big jobs of ramp construction.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2009, 06:17:10 am »

Ramps go in fast unless removing the tiles makes an "island" -- a set of tiles on a particular z-level that are not supported by any other tiles on that z-level.  Same goes when you remove the last square of an island.  This happens a lot when you dig a big block of ramps, and not much most of the rest of the time.

My guess is that this is related to the cave-in code; if true, that would mean that turning off cave-ins in the init would speed up big jobs of ramp construction.

Doesn't, it's very slow even with cave ins off. Infact, digging large blocks of ramps is almost impossible to do with caveins on, since your dwarves will kill themselves rather quickly if it's left on. I found this out the hard way.

Any kind of large scale mining seems to slow the game way, way down. I should experiment if locking dwarves into the area they are mining out has any kind of effect on game speed.

For anyone who cares: I was digging out a rather large block of ramps (talking hundreds of ramps here)

When I first began digging down, my fps was VERY low. sub 20's, to low 10's. The second the dwarves got cut off, my FPS spiked from that, to 180~ or so. (normal fps when nothing is going on).

Having the trapped miners keep digging down, my fps stayed very close to 180, and didn't drop perceptibly. However, the moment those dwarves regained access to the rest of the map, my game slowed to a relative crawl of 10-20FPS. At the time, I had the bright idea that they where all trying to figure out a path back to the meeting area, so I sealed that off with locked doors, which didn't have any effect.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:39 am »

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 08:44:09 am »

Is that Boatmurdered?
No, this is:

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:22 am »

Doesn't, it's very slow even with cave ins off. Infact, digging large blocks of ramps is almost impossible to do with caveins on, since your dwarves will kill themselves rather quickly if it's left on. I found this out the hard way.
Fascinating...  I don't understand how dwarves would be killing themselves with caveins on, but regardless, this disproves my theory for why things get slow.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2009, 02:59:18 pm »

Fascinating...  I don't understand how dwarves would be killing themselves with caveins on, but regardless, this disproves my theory for why things get slow.

because they'll build a ramp under a mountain and crush themselves?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2009, 10:07:37 pm »

I haven't done a Mythbusters test of it yet, but I think the cave-ins with ramps really only happens when there's a tree on the tile above. It can't remove the floor since there's a tree on it, and the floor collapses since there isn't a wall holding it up...

At least, my miners have stopped killing themselves that way since I started clear cutting the level above before mining out the ramps, but that could just be coincidence.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7