Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Causes of thoughts: A comprehensive list  (Read 1298 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Causes of thoughts: A comprehensive list
« on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:15 am »

I got a dwarf thinking "He complained about the draft". I don't know what this means and I'm concerned it's not a one-off complaint. As I was writing this, I actually wondered if it mean "complained about being drafted", as from memory there's some sort of negative thought had by dwarves activated into the military without fighting skills.

So I saw on the wiki there is a nice big list of all the thoughts dwarves can have:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Thoughts

What I would like to know, though, is what causes a thought and how to cause happy ones and reverse negative ones. For example, for my dwarf, what draft is he talking about? In his room? Working outside too long? Went through a designated room without walls? One of my workshops outside? Just occassional bad weather?

The wiki is a bit too shy on details at the moment.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Causes of thoughts: A comprehensive list
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:26:59 am »

That one is actually about the dwarf being recruited into the military and not a broken window kind of draft.
other Thoughts i belive are self explaining by looking at the list in your link.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:47:43 pm »

IIRC, there is also a negative thought for a room without walls, but that's different.

And they only are unhappy about being recruited if they have no military skills.

Incidentally, they don't like being dismissed from the military if they don't have civilian skills.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:08:52 pm »

Hi!

The information in the Wiki seems to be a bit outdated - some thoughts I have heard about are missing and there is also a currently inactive thought.

There are a few standard thoughts, but many are based on the information you find in the profile page.

Standard:
* Complain about draft (any dwarf who gets 'A'ctivated turning into a recruit will get this negative thought)
* (Negative thought of dwarf without any civilian skill upon being de'A'ctivated; I don't recall the wording as I have rarely got such a dwarf (^_^;; )
* Negative thoughts about sleeping:
- Slept on a rough floor (non-smoothed cavern floor)
- Slept on floor
- Slept without a proper bed room (slept in a bed which is not an individual room/slept in the barracks)
* Negative thought about being disturbed during sleep (caused by nearby workshop being used, farm being tended, building/construction being built/destroyed)
* Negative thought from drinking stagnant water (if there is no alcohol and no well or brook available, dwarves will drink from muddy pools - and hate it)
* Positive thought from making an acquisition (I only have pre-economy experience with this; when there are clothes without owner available and the clothes of a dwarf are worn out, he/she may claim those new clothes and get this positive thought)
* Positive thought about enjoying slaughter (militarily skilled dwarves who kill an enemy)
* Negative thought from witnessing death (was witness to a fatal battle)
* Negative thought from the death of a friend/family member ('Lost a friend to tragedy')
* Negative thought from decay of a friend/family member (occurs if you don't have coffins for the dwarves)
* Positive thought from passing a high quality engraving, installed piece of furniture (for instance statue, window, table; formulation around 'admired')
* Positive thought about being able to rest and recuperate (injured dwarves get this when they are able to rest)
* Negative thoughts about thirst and hunger
* Was caught in the rain (negative)
* Was satisfied at work (I don't know what triggers this positive thought)
* Was happy to be released (positive after being in a cage/attached to a rope)
* negative thoughts about being restrained (while attached to cage/rope)
* Dined in a {qualifier} dining room (series of positive thoughts if the dining room is better than 1 table + 1 chair in an open corridor; probably has various strengths)
* Received food/water (positive thought of wounded dwarf)
* Negative thought by facing a miasma
* Positive thoughts from throwing something during a tantrum
* Positive thoughts from starting a fistfight during a tantrum
* Negative thought from killing someone in such a fistfight
* Positive thoughts from complaining to your expedition leader
* Negative thoughts from a miscarriage

Profiled:
* Positive thought about acquiring a pet.
* Positive thought from getting comforted by a pet (occurs randomly while near the pets)
* Negative thought caused by death of a pet ('has lost a pet')
* Negative thought caused by decay of pet (if pet is not buried in a coffin)
* Talked with a friend (positive thought gained during No Job/On Break/Attend Party when being close to a dwarf marked as a friend in relations)
* Made a friend (positive thought on such an occasion)
* Was caught up in a new romance (probably positive)
* Had to endure presence of an enemy (I don't know that negative thought very well, but it is reported to occur when dwarves with a grudge are near each other)
* Was annoyed by {name of vermin} (default negative thought about meeting vermin
* Was accosted by horrible vermin (no name is mentioned with this very negative thought about meeting the vermin the dwarf detests)
* High quality food/drink also give positive thoughts; the thoughts get extra positive if the food/drink contained the food/drink the dwarf likes.
* In addition to general furniture, furniture in rooms owned by the dwarf also may cause admiration thoughts (at the disadvantage that the dwarf explicitly goes to the item to check on it)

Nobles
* Negative thought from lower people having better rooms (nobles have this)
* Positive thoughts because mandates are fulfilled
* Negative thoughts when mandates are not fulfilled
* Negative thoughts when no punishment is dealt out (for mandate failure)

The thought about rotting clothes has been disabled in the current versions because there were complaints about how messy dwarves are with their old clothes and how they tended towards layering of clothes.

Basically, the first step towards avoiding negative thoughts are ensuring that you always have some kind of alcohol available and also provide at least proper beds (preferably in simple rooms). You also need basic sets of chair+table to avoid the complaint about that during lunch.

Secondly, you should have a refuse heap ABOVE GROUND for any remains and other unwanted refuse. As long as it is above ground, it will not create a miasma, which while being harmless, causes a negative thought.

If you have enough dwarves, create a dedicated military and train them to have basic skill in some military skill, so you don't get the draft complaint. But also give them a civilian skill so you can also deactivate them.

Make sure that meeting areas are really at safe locations to avoid deaths of idlers/children/pets. Also put up coffins ready for burial so you don't get the decay negative thought.

Kitchens and butcheries seem to generate flies; dwarves who detest flies should probably not have butcher or cooking labor enabled (^_^;; Probably also better no food or refuse hauling

As for positive thoughts
- produce/buy the food/drink your dwarves like.
- buy the pets the dwarves like (except for cats, you need to allow them as pets)
- double engrave floors and walls dwarves regularly pass through
- place statues at frequented corridors
- with all furniture, if you have spare time, try to put the best furniture at the most frequented location and the worst at the least frequented (during the life cycle of the fortress, your dwarves' skills will improve, so you will probably do some replacements there)
- use the materials the dwarves like, especially for their personal rooms.
- if you have an unhappy/miserable dwarf, check if that dwarf changes to 'Attend Meeting' - if so, disable all jobs on your expedition leader/mayor, so she can 'Conduct A Meeting' with that dwarf and give him/her a positive thought.
- if you don't usually produce clothes, you can produce some clothes in order to get a mild positive thought in a certain situation - but this is not very reliable

Well, this is quite incomplete, but it is the best I can say spontaneously. I hope it helps a little bit.

Deathworks

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

She has been tired of eating the same old food lately.

This was a new one to me. This fort has them eating only turtles, 300 of them bought on embark. (For the shells.)
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:51 pm »

This was a new one to me. This fort has them eating only turtles, 300 of them bought on embark. (For the shells.)
Actually that thought is pretty new to everyone, I believe it was put it with the newest version. It was mostly because of plump helmets, I think.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:10:24 pm »

has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately

Wonder how many years until these are used

The rotting meat/eating pet thoughts sound useful

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:43:42 pm »

I believe there are also positive thoughts for rescued/has been rescued (carrying an injured dwarf to a bed), giving food/water (not just receiving). Maybe they were neutral thoughts... I don't recall. Talked with spouse is another I saw, I presume that that is a positive one.

[Edit: Just found the rescuing and food ones: "brought somebody to bed lately" (not as dirty as it sounds!) and "gave somebody water lately." Also, one about getting married: "got married recently."]

The negative thought for leaving the military when they don't have a civilian skill is "upset about being relieved from duty recently."

There are positive thoughts for admiring buildings (bridges and even, IIRC, workshops... I think I even had one admire a trap once...) in addition to the furniture that Deathworks mentioned.

There are also thoughts for being promoted or removed from noble positions IIRC, though the only example I can think of is "was happy to be re-elected" [Edit: or disappointed that they weren't re-elected] for the mayor (I almost never shuffle those positions around, so I never see anyone get thoughts -- if they even do -- for gaining or losing a position).

Hmm... "satisfying sparring session", so that must be a positive thought. Obviously caused by off duty dwarves sparring, but I don't know what the exact triggers are.

"saw a beloved creature recently" - positive for seeing a creature/vermin that they like (in this case, dogs for their loyalty and flies for the ability to annoy; not sure which one he saw, as I have both roaming the fort). Zoos work well for gaining this one, though if a dwarf doesn't like one of the zoo animals he'll get a negative thought for them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:49:07 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »

I think there is a negative thought for when a dwarf is around someone that has a "Grudge" relationship with them.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »

I believe there are also positive thoughts for rescued/has been rescued (carrying an injured dwarf to a bed), giving food/water (not just receiving). Maybe they were neutral thoughts... I don't recall. Talked with spouse is another I saw, I presume that that is a positive one.

[Edit: Just found the rescuing and food ones: "brought somebody to bed lately" (not as dirty as it sounds!) and "gave somebody water lately." Also, one about getting married: "got married recently."]

actually, some dwarves hate giving food and water to injured dwarves. it depends on their personality traits. i've seen "was annoyed at having to give someone food" before.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 03:17:54 pm »

There's also the "Happy to be free" thought for babies, which happens when they're captured then released from a kidnapper's bag (when the kidnappers is killed or... when he get off the map, which lead to funny situation where the last thought of the kidnapped baby is "He/she is happy to be free.")

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »

There's also the "Happy to be free" thought for babies, which happens when they're captured then released from a kidnapper's bag (when the kidnappers is killed or... when he get off the map, which lead to funny situation where the last thought of the kidnapped baby is "He/she is happy to be free.")

not just babies: dwarves who are sentenced to imprisonment are happy to be free when their sentence ends.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:10 pm »

It's not mentioned but if you make a grand dining hall and place different levers, chairs, grates, doors, supports, and masterfully made workshops that you set so no dwarfs can use them in it then, you can get a massive ton of happy thoughts.  Even better if you happen to make an artifact or two and add it to your dining room as that boosts the dwarfs happy thoughts even higher.

If for some reason you have way too much speed in your game and you want to lag it down massively you can make a waterfall as well.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:51 am »

Thanks for that great list, Deathworks. I'll be able to refer to that if/when I get confused again.

Something I've noticed is that when a dwarf thinks about the "legendary dining room", that the room is not necessarily legendary. My dwarves think this a lot, but when I look at the (r)ooms, my dining hall has never been greater than "grand".