Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Division of Labor  (Read 610 times)

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Division of Labor
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:37:49 am »

I've been away from DF for a while, and in that time it struck me as very odd that a seemingly medieval society would exhibit such gender equality. My proposal is that we will start a thread designated to describing the adventures of a fort where the jobs of men and women are distinctly seperate.
For example, allow only men to enter the military, mine, and craft stone wood and gems. Allow women to cook, weave cloth, gather herbs and tailor clothing.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Re: Division of Labor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:24:19 am »

For example, allow only men to enter the military, mine, and craft stone wood and gems.

My fortress would empty very quickly of men.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:14:50 am »

I always avoid putting dwarf women in the military because they have a tendency to use their infant children as bodyarmor.

But dwarven women are just as tough and strong as any male dwarf so I dont mind them doing hard labor

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:33:52 am »

I don't discriminate against gender in my forts, but the general labor division is all fscked up. I have a large number of miners, masons and general stoneworkers, a good number of woodworkers(depending on the map, a wood rich map might cause me to have a lot of woodworkers), some craftsdwarves, but every other profession is a rarity. Most notably my food industry usually only consists of 2-4 food processing dwarves because I almost solely rely on trade for my food and drink. The large number of wood and stone workers are because of me building at least partially on the surface.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:35:41 am »

While I do hare it when one of my warrior women has a child while she is in service to defending the realm, I always un-recruit her, put her to some easy but useful task, like stone detailing or mining, so her physical prowess increases until her child stops being a tit-sucker and can handle itself. Then I reenlist her.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf