Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tycoon (Pen and Paper Space RPG)  (Read 3690 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tycoon (Pen and Paper Space RPG)
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:49:29 pm »

One day, I made a game where you play as part of a Board of Directors running a intergalactic corporation. And I have thought of playtesting it. Then I realize that, er, it's not exactly good. It seems more suited to a computer game, and I never really was able to playtest it.

This is the result:
http://gmftp.paranoia-live.net/Silent/Tycoon.pdf

Read it and weep.

EDIT:
In this game set in the far future, the entire galaxy is run by tycoons, business magnates and moguls that have managed to gain themselves political power by using economic power. These people has gained monopolies in certain areas, such as trading, fighting, manufacturing, drug smuggling, etc. They now run businesses with much wealth.

And if you have money, you can buy whatever you want. You can buy yourself fame. You can buy yourself a planet, complete with a puppet government. You can even buy yourself a philosophy, and promote it, trying to affect the galaxy by using ideology.

Of course, this is all known in secret. Influence peddling can be rumored, but there is no actual proof that it ever happens, and besides, the journalists who makes these accusations always “disappear” rather quickly. Foolish humans believe that the companies have no stake in their government. Smart humans realize that many governments are either subverted or controlled by these companies, maybe even founded by them. These smart humans end up either running these companies…or end up dead.

You have a web of lies and intrigue, where planets get contested by rivaling companies, vying for the support of the planetary governments. Usually, the competition is merely covert, as the companies seek to muscle in and try to force the leaders to do what they say. However, there are instances where a company was able to maintain full control over a planet, but the other companies would be unwilling to let the company go. Therefore, the private confrontation ends up becoming public. Entire wars may be traced to a feud between two companies wanting to grab the same planet, to expand their sphere of influence. Feuds die hard with these companies.

This sounds like a dystopian future game. It is. For the most part. But unlike other games, you are running the show, and your decisions decide the fate of those who are living under your sphere of influence…

Players work as the Board of Directors of a small and growing company (meaning, large company in our standards). Their goal is to become a mega-corporation and crush their adversaries, by virtue of being a great power-broker…or by virtue of smashing them into itty-bitty bits. Your players must work together, fighting enemy companies and taking over planetary governments, with that one goal in mind. During the game, they will be tempted with the decisions that several mega-corporations face before…should they exploit the population? If they do, the people’s opinion of you drops…but their profit margins will go up.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Tycoon (Pen and Paper Space RPG)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:42 am »

Do want.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:38:03 pm »

Sound like a fun game to play or to create :D. Make me want create game from it
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:27:09 pm »

If you guys like it, you can take it. Just, um, don't exactly sell it. Some of the stuff in that PDF file might get you in trouble with copyright law if they are being sold.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:45:56 am »

Um, bump? Anyone else looked at it. And, Pandarsenic, is there a reason why you said "Do want"?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 12:54:53 am »

I'm in.
Also, I stopped crying like... weeks ago, so I will read it... but... I'm... not going to weep.... I won't... I WON'T I WON'T I WON'T!  :'(

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 03:11:39 am »

Um, bump? Anyone else looked at it. And, Pandarsenic, is there a reason why you said "Do want"?

Well, it's the opposite of Do Not Want. :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 03:13:48 am »

Someone actually made a forum game like this. It never took off due to that person's inability to commit to anything for very long.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 06:07:56 am »

Someone actually made a forum game like this. It never took off due to that person's inability to commit to anything for very long.

Who?

Was it Squeegy? He's like the touch of death to games he GMs. *Sighs and stares at dead RTD Squeegy had been running*

Kind of like how every RTD I join is doomed to premature death.

Every.

Single.

One.

Ever.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 03:03:37 pm »

I'm always amazed by the extent of the cross-polonization between this site and Paranoia-Live.net

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »

I'm always amazed by the extent of the cross-polonization between this site and Paranoia-Live.net

There is? Any other examples?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:30 pm »

Just saying in at first...
Always miss out on spots cause I read everything first...

Edit: Yep In definitively in...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:09:50 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:28 pm »

Um, I'm not playtesting this (at least not right now anyway).

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:41:22 am »

This sounds sweeet.

Reminds me of those old intergalactic trading games I have...

Like Smuggler. Good times.
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 01:46:48 am »

Somebody was going to do an EPIC forum game like this, but when it came to the first turn they never pulled it off.
 :'(
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: [1] 2