Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A Base-Building Game  (Read 6755 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: A Base-Building Game
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 11:00:13 pm »

No. Not again.
Not after....
VUUUUUUNNNNDOOOOOOOO

That's why you stay the hell away from public trackers dummy. :3
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:36 pm »

Both of you are dummies. DK1 at least is now considered
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and is available sans sounds from various
sites.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »

Abandonware is not a legal term, the copyright still holds it as property of whoever it says owns it till it expires.

Abandonware = Piracy under a more friendly name, and still illegal.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 11:25:41 pm »

Abandonware is not a legal term, the copyright still holds it as property of whoever it says owns it till it expires.

Abandonware = Piracy under a more friendly name, and still illegal.

"Nice" new avatar.

Too bad Underdogs went down, or you could've got DK from there.
If you want, I could make a zip for you and upload it.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 12:04:53 am »

Abandonware is illegal. Even Underdogs' website makes that very clear. It is unlikely you will be arrested for it, because the copyright isn't enforced, but if the copyright holder does want to reuse it...well...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 01:11:00 am »

I don't suggest however that you play Evil Genius

Mind you it is a GREAT game and could have easily been a series if it wanted to.

the problem is however that the game suffers from numberous and unbearable bugs and glitches that can and often do make the game unplayable. No patches both official and unofficial fix these problems.
-On a side note: The unofficial patch disapoints me... while it fixes some of the more stupid bugs in the game... it also in a sense "Cheats". So while you may be thinking "Ohh it is a patch" be prepared for things that will make the game easier in a bad way.

The only other problem... is that there is absolutely NO indication on how much info you have on a territory... So your often sending tons of Scientists there not aware if your actually doing anything.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 08:57:16 am »

Stronghold. Get Crusader because you can play skirmish vs AI. Don't bother with Stronghold 2.

Also, various city-builder games like Caesar III or Pharaoh.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:18 am »

Stronghold.

Seconded, also I played Black & White 2, I preferred the first one and this isn't just me always picking originals, some games do make major improvements in their sequels, but only some.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 10:13:55 am »

If base building is the main feature you want, try the old Outpost/Outpost 2 games. Base building and managing, plus a whiff of combat.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »

There seems to be a HUGE overlap between DF fans and Outpost fans.  There's just so few Outpost fans these days because it was never hugely popular, and is old.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 02:46:31 pm »

Small wonder, Outpost was largely about the same thing, you were managing an elaborate base, searching for resources, building, expanding - there were no dwarves, but the game was really neat. Outpost 2 was realtime, and even closer to DF in that sense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 02:49:21 pm »

Was Outpost 2 the game where eventually you lost because a Volcano would kill you everytime?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »

Stronghold.
Seconded, also I played Black & White 2, I preferred the first one and this isn't just me always picking originals, some games do make major improvements in their sequels, but only some.
I already have that game.
If base building is the main feature you want, try the old Outpost/Outpost 2 games. Base building and managing, plus a whiff of combat.
Interesting... but it also looks as if it may only be appropriated through "malicious" means.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:52 am »

Also the oldie abandonware Stronghold, which is based on SSI's AD&D license. You have up to 5 castles (human, elf, magic-user, cleric, dwarf and or thief, I think) which represent your retired "party" (one of those is your main castle and represents yourself, the others are smaller for your comrades)

You move your cursor on a map, each "tile" is a row of 4 horizontal spaces with trees or stuff and you build farms, shops, mines, etc. You recruit npcs (dwarves, etc) from each civ, and they do the building and stuff, or you can send them to kill monsters.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 10:38:55 am »

Also the oldie abandonware Stronghold, which is based on SSI's AD&D license. You have up to 5 castles (human, elf, magic-user, cleric, dwarf and or thief, I think) which represent your retired "party" (one of those is your main castle and represents yourself, the others are smaller for your comrades)

You move your cursor on a map, each "tile" is a row of 4 horizontal spaces with trees or stuff and you build farms, shops, mines, etc. You recruit npcs (dwarves, etc) from each civ, and they do the building and stuff, or you can send them to kill monsters.
If you can find me a non-bugged version of that game, and send me a link, I might choose not to send my
after you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5