Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A Base-Building Game  (Read 6739 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Base-Building Game
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:56 am »

I never had any problem with bugs, it runs fine on DOSBox.

It ran fine when I played it on XP too I think.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:39 am »

I never had any problem with bugs, it runs fine on DOSBox.

It ran fine when I played it on XP too I think.

I'm talking about
Try piracy.
VUUUUUUNNNNDOOOOOOOO

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 10:48:52 am »

Meh, I don't get any virus from it. Besides it's on abandonia so you don't need to get it from some fake torrent.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 11:12:09 am »

Meh, I don't get any virus from it. Besides it's on abandonia so you don't need to get it from some fake torrent.
But.... free?
*Twitch*
Woose1 goes into a coma as a result of having his mind blown.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:23 pm »

Was Outpost 2 the game where eventually you lost because a Volcano would kill you everytime?

Ha!  Welcome to a game that's challenging!  "But I like building my base uninterrupted", you say.  Well I say it's more FUN when you're under stress!  Why build another agridome when you have enough food?  Because you need another place to load up your evac trucks when you have to RUN LIKE HELL!  Nursery?  You want more population?  Sorry, you can't spare the workers right now, and this is just a staging area--you'll be moving on when the next volcano erupts, you're just settling down to do some frantic research!  Wish we had the time to put up a vehicle factory after one of our robodozers got hit by a lightning storm, but that'll have to wait for the next base...and we need one badly, so we can bulldoze the ground before we build and save a few precious, precious seconds of building time!

You set up a base, and the first thing you do is build the components for your NEXT base so you can flee into the night as soon as that volcano goes up...Now that's fun.  Outpost 2's campaigns win pretty hard.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

What? I thought you just plain lose once the Volcano hits. (I am speaking of free play mode)

I don't mind any of the other disasters or random raids... I loathe the "You instanty lose" mobile

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »

Was Outpost 2 the game where eventually you lost because a Volcano would kill you everytime?

Ha!  Welcome to a game that's challenging!  "But I like building my base uninterrupted", you say.  Well I say it's more FUN when you're under stress!

Um, that doesn't sound fun at all. I actually like building cities for, you know, the people that live in there.

No fun if you just move your city every single second. You aren't even building a city, just a nomad camp. Being nomads isn't interesting for me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:02:34 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

God, no, nothing like instant loss!

If your command center is RIGHT next to the volcano somehow, then you might be kind of hosed if you didn't hear the eruption warning and start migrating, or research advance detection and have another base already prepared, or get lava walls up to buy some time, or look at the map at the start and say "Hmm, active volcano right next to my command center, maybe I should be concerned".

Your command center is pretty durable but having a second one (or just two bases or more) is just plain good security.  And keep your base repaired!

In the population modes I tend to have three bases...I start building my second base at a good common ore site as soon as I can spare the materials, nothing fancy just CC, tokomak, common smelter, structure and vehicle factories. Then once I have the spare workers I keep it online all the time and evenly distribute all my agridomes, residences and stuff between them.  That way if I'm totally oblivious and don't notice multiple meteor strikes and earthquakes coming my way before getting hit by a vortex, I'll live.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:09 pm »

Ha!  Welcome to a game that's challenging!  "But I like building my base uninterrupted", you say.  Well I say it's more FUN when you're under stress!

Um, that doesn't sound fun at all. I actually like building cities for, you know, the people that live in there.

No fun if you just move your city every single second. You aren't even building a city, just a nomad camp. Being nomads isn't interesting for me.

Okay, it's not every single second.  But in the campaigns, about half of the missions are "develop this tech, have these structure kits ready, and then run like heck before the volcanos/Blight catches you".

The colony builder modes are far more relaxed.  Just don't go building your base right in the basin right next to the active volcano...  ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »

Also to answer your question...

Only ONE Faction can survive the Volcano and even then it is by making a surrounding Lava wall... otherwise it quite litterally swallows the map (maybe my version is glitched)

So once the Volcano starts... You lost

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 03:25:41 pm »

Nope, doesn't swallow the map.  In general it only moves in the basins; they have a very limited area they expand in.  Sometimes it is a LARGE area, but I don't remember any map where it's not limited enough that you can still play quite a lot.

Again, in campaign mode all bets are off; those missions are timed and by 'timed' I mean 'the world is going to kill you if you wait'.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 03:36:46 pm »

So in the future people are just retarded and they build their houses on top of deadly time bombs?

Idiocracy?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 03:38:30 pm »

Nope, doesn't swallow the map.  In general it only moves in the basins; they have a very limited area they expand in.  Sometimes it is a LARGE area, but I don't remember any map where it's not limited enough that you can still play quite a lot.

Again, in campaign mode all bets are off; those missions are timed and by 'timed' I mean 'the world is going to kill you if you wait'.

Well then my game is glitched... It swallows the map everytime. (Which is why I never play it)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 03:49:03 pm »

Base building game? Go for Warzone 2100! Its _the_ game of basebuilding, honest to goodness, theres just sooo much stuff to build its silleh!
http://wz2100.net/

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 03:49:53 pm »

Wasn't the entire planet blowing up anyway?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5