Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A Base-Building Game  (Read 6742 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
A Base-Building Game
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:05 pm »

I am bored.
Reaaaaaaaallly bored.

So I decided to come here, to this thread at..... 9:07 PM on Saturday, Febuary 14th, 2009.
Anywho, I was looking for a game, sort of like Empire Earth II, and Supreme Commander (None of that "Civilization" Nonsense), but more of an emphasis on base building.

At its most basic, a RTS, where you, the player, Have extensive freedom on exactly how you want your evil fortress of doom to look like.
Anybody have any games that look like this? (Besides Dwarf Fortress)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: A Base-Building Game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »

Well you could always try Dungeon Keeper...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:18:48 pm »

If you play Dungeon Crawl in wizard mode, you can make a goblin fortress, with traps in it. :V

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:21:09 pm »

Well you could always try Dungeon Keeper...
Intriuging.
*A quick google-search later*
Which is better, #1 or #2?

I ask this ebcause sometimes the developers fudge with the formula later in a game's development.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »

It's kind of a preference thing in my opinion, DK2 makes the change to 3d and some balancing and features are added and shifted around.

DK 1 is easier to get running though, and there are one or two things in DK2 I just didn't like, e.g. horny.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:27:50 pm »

Evil Genius is similar to Dungeon Keeper. Crazy traps, crazy minions, crazy enemy super heroes. Rather fun, but not much replay value.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »

It's kind of a preference thing in my opinion, DK2 makes the change to 3d and some balancing and features are added and shifted around.

DK 1 is easier to get running though, and there are one or two things in DK2 I just didn't like, e.g. horny.

Horny is awesome in #1, he always rages and destroys everything.
At least when I have him, I don't bother making him happy.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »

If you play Dungeon Crawl in wizard mode, you can make a goblin fortress, with traps in it. :V
It made my eyes hurt and I didn't get it nor liked it.
It's just like playing DF for the first time again.
Righto.... wait, whats a horny?
Evil Genius is similar to Dungeon Keeper. Crazy traps, crazy minions, crazy enemy super heroes. Rather fun, but not much replay value.
I looked at it.... mind telling me what it is about?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:54 pm »

Build up an evil base filled with creative traps. Hire and train minions to do various work around the island, and do missions in the world. Keep tourists out of your base, or just kill them. The meddling governments in the world drop meddling agents of justice to annoy you, and try to destroy or steal things from your base.

The only controllable characters are the Evil Genius himself/herself, and henchmen, which are like evil heroes. My favorite henchman is Red Ivan. He is very destructive, what with his rocket launcher that he indiscriminately fires at enemies that might be near other minions/explosive base components/himself, his grenades, and his minefields. I tend to keep him locking up in a small room for some reason.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Total Annihilation has some nice base building and destroying.  So does Age of Mythology with it's walls.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »

Righto.... wait, whats a horny?
Heh, play the game and you'll find out eventually. In DK1 he's awesome although not really a good investment in terms of actual returns. In DK2 he's demoted from ass kicking chicken guzzling imp decapitating resident, to ass kicking, chicken decapitating, imp guzzling summon. I preferred the first.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »

I have DK1 and it is insane. The first time you get "your minions are fighting among themselves" you'll look and and just start laughing. Then the torture chambers and the dark mistress's, Horny's wild rampage. God I need to reinstall it that was so much fun. Definately has my vote.

Oh and Horny is the horned reaper. You can "summon" him by a particular set of sacrifices, and he has a tendency to get slightly agitated. Theres pretty much two strategies with him, a. summon 5 of them and keep em seperated and devote every resource to keeping them happy, or b. summon one and hope he doesn't kill everything when you send your army in.

Also of fun in that is that creature data is stored in spreadsheets, so if you want to say make dark mistress's have teleport at level 1, you go in and change it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »

Mind telling me where I could buy it? It's not exactly a "new" game, ya know.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »

Try piracy.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »

Try piracy.
No. Not again.
Not after....
VUUUUUUNNNNDOOOOOOOO

I have settled on Black and White 2, Battle of the Gods. It's got some nice game mechanics to it, along with the crazy "Hand" game movement, and in the expansion pack you get to fight undead. not only that, but Aztec Undead!  :P

Ordered... now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5