Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 33 Endgame, DF style!  (Read 29195 times)

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 21. The plot thickens.
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2009, 05:08:49 am »

The Colossi realize that serious exploration's going to take some more effort, and attempt to organize an explorer corps from the already-disciplined parade bands. Meanwhile, there's another corps forming to manage the problem of substance-abuse among some nightclubbers suspected of consorting with gnomes...

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2009, 12:07:55 am »

OH HEY BUMP

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2009, 11:36:40 am »

Turn 22. I was going to have you fight Mind Worms (Alpha Centauri), but if they can threaten a space-faring civilization with flamethrowers, then they’d just exterminate every civilization here easily. So, instead you get something more mundane.

I’ve also already told you: temporary stat penalties do not make it easier to gain new stats in that area.

Warboss Org’s Boyz – | The Orks discover that the grotz know how to control squigs. Through careful yelling, the squigs are integrated into the military. They start fighting with the squiggoths, and two of the squiggoths die before eradicating the squigs. Many Orks are killed trying to subdue the last one.

Economy – 4
Technology –5
Military – 8 - 2(Act) = 6 – 2(temp, +1/turn)
Population – 4.5
Infrastructure –6
Morale – (5)6

R1ck’s Basinians – | The Basinian civilians are evacuated, while the military stays behind to explore the caverns while defending the city. Not even an hour after the evacuation completes, ants begin to appear in and around the city. After hours of light fighting, the ants retreat. It didn’t seem to be an all-out attack, more of a skirmish battle to test out the Basinian defenses.

Economy – 5
Technology – 5
Military – 5.1 + 0.1(Draft) + 0.1(Rounding) = 5.2
Population – 4.6 + 0.4(MRL) – 0.1(Draft) = 4.9
Infrastructure – 6
Morale – (8)7
Bonus: Draft (ON). May convert 0.1 pop/turn into 0.1 MIL/turn as a free action. It will remain in the current state until turned off.

Strife26’s Zefies - | The Zefies increase their military strength, while filling the heads of their citizens with patriotic propaganda.

Economy – 6
Technology – 7
Military – 7 + 1(ACT) = 8
Population – 5.7 + 0.2(MRL) = 5.9
Infrastructure – 8.5 + 0.1(Rounding) = 8.6
Morale – (6)7

Shoruke’s Starforgers – | The Starforgers try to improve their scrying abilities. They succeed, and watch the Battle for Basinia as a test. They note that the ants carefully carry away any that die from either side, and seem to be fighting mainly near food warehouses. They name this group “Any Colony 1” and periodically watch to see where they go. Thus, they are able to send messengers out to the other civilizations when a new ant hole appears a few days later, several km away from the Basinian capital.

Economy- 4
Tech- 3
Military- 2 + 1 = 3
Pop- 2.5 + 0.1(MRL) = 2.6
Infastructure – 5
Morale – (6)7

Frelock’s Raiders of Rodinia – | The Rodinians build several primitive machines such as the seed drill. More food is always nice.

Economy – 7
Technology – 6 + 1 = 7
Military – 7
Population – 7.2 +0.7(MRL) = 7.9
Infrastructure – 9.3 + 0.1(Rounding) + 0.5(ACT) = 9.9
Morale – (8)6 + 1(Temp, -1/turn) + 1(INF) = 8
Bonus: +0.25 on defense
Bonus: +1% population growth

Shade’s Zaniah – | The Zaniah decide to start throwing rocks from their gliders. With the new role, the glider-scouts will need more training.

Economy – 8
Technology –6
Military – = 9.8 + 0.1(Rounding) = 9.9 – 2(temp, +1/turn) – 1(Act, temp, +1/turn)
Population – 7.2 + 0.5(Grotz) = 7.7
Infrastructure –8   
Morale – (5)6

Navian’s Bronze Colossi – | The Colossi trained a small secret police corps to hunt down any found to be consorting with gnomes. A parade band is thought to be pro-gnome. The Colossi give basic wilderness survival training to them (If you’re unsure if it is poisonous or not, it’s best not to risk being hungry. Eat up), and send them on their way. The Starforgers report that they ran into a patrol of ants and were eradicated.

Economy – 5.8  + 0.1(Rounding) = 5.9
Technology – 5
Military – 4 + 1(ACT) = 5
Population – 5.3 + 0.3(MRL) = 5.6
Infrastructure – 8.3 + 0.1(Rounding) = 8.4
Morale – (7)8

The Dead – | You successfully forge a silver lump, and inscribe it with a particularly weak rune of protection.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Random Event!
The rumors of giant insects were true. The Zaniah glider-scouts report three colonies of giant ants, and one colony of giant BEES. The ant colonies appear to be different, but the scouts couldn’t quite tell the difference. (The ants will support each other, and do have different (hidden) stats which I am keeping track of. Their morale is fixed, just because they’re hive mind insects. Or something.)

Ant Colony 1 – They start a new nest, and seem to be searching for something.

Ant Colony 2 – ???

Ant Colony 3 – ???

BEES! – ???

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 22. It gets worse.
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:12 am »

Hmmm....Giant Ants eh? Luckily I've fought this insectoid menance before, so I know that we must go into the colonies, and kill the queen! I'll send my magical ninjas to assassinate the queen in colony 1, while the rest of the military will fight diversionally on the surface.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2009, 12:55:25 pm »

Clearly we are terrible at combat and researching weapon so we need to build up instead. But before we can do that we need resources, so it's time to mine deeper still and see what we can find.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2009, 01:41:54 pm »

The Starforgers research a magical method of long-range communication, while continuing to monitor the ants.

(Depending on how much stuff you'll let me get away with doing, we'll attempt to use the LRC to help the Basinians.)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:57 pm »

The zefies research into an effective projectile weapon.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2009, 02:05:42 pm »

The Raiders of Rodinia will continue to improve their infrastructure by creating large housing projects. creating a floating city, which shall become the new capital!

You know Org, you really should try working a little of the math before requesting an action.  For example, my action should go something like this:
Roll + 3.5(ECON) + 3.5(POP) + 3.5(TECH) + 1.5(MRL) = Roll + 12 / 4 + 9(INF) = 13 needed = Roll - 1

So, should I roll a 1, I still get a difference of 0, meaning a meager success.

My suggestion to you, try improving your economy.  Yours will be

Roll + 2(POP) + 3(INF) + 2.5(TECH) + 0.5(MRL) = Roll + 7 / 4 + 4(ECON) = 8 needed = Roll

You're guaranteed a slight success at worst, and have a 1/6 chance of a great success.

Nirur Torir, please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:43:51 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2009, 02:56:40 pm »

Yeah seriously it's pretty sad when the Starforgers are almost as good at fighting as you are  :P
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:36 pm »

Lulz wut?

Squigs kill Squiggoths?

Wut?

Da Boss kallz foar som moar thinky boyz!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:23:50 pm by Org »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:47 pm »

The Raiders of Rodinia will continue to improve their infrastructure by creating large housing projects. creating a floating city, which shall become the new capital!

You know Org, you really should try working a little of the math before requesting an action.  For example, my action should go something like this:
Roll + 3.5(ECON) + 3.5(POP) + 3.5(TECH) + 1.5(MRL) = Roll + 12 / 4 + 9(INF) = 13 needed = Roll - 1

So, should I roll a 1, I still get a difference of 0, meaning a meager success.

My suggestion to you, try improving your economy.  Yours will be

Roll + 1(POP) + 3(INF) + 2.5(TECH) + 0.5(MRL) = Roll + 7 / 4 + 4(ECON) = 8 needed = Roll - 1

Nirur Torir, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Very close, but his population modifier is 2, since he has 4 effective population. I'm not completely sure why I decided to just truncate decimals for calculations instead of rounding.

Lulz wut?

Squigs kill Squiggoths?

Wut?

Da Boss kallz foar som FUNGUS BEER!
The squiggoths chocked to death while trying to eat too many squigs at once, I think.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2009, 04:57:00 pm »

Da Boss kallz foar som moar thinky boyz!

TECH - Roll + 1(ECON) + 1(MIL) + 1(POP) + 1.5(INF) + .5(MRL) = Roll + 5 / 4 + 5(TECH) = 9 needed = Roll - 4

A roll of 4 will give you a 0.  You've got a 50% chance of getting a not-very-great success.

But hey, who am I to tell you how to run your civilization?  It's your call.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2009, 04:58:50 pm »

Woops.
Read your post wrong.

Da boss kallz foar moar teef!

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:19 am »

The good work of the secret police only serves to make paranoia run deeper.  Safehouses and other defensible structures appear, built by various factions within the city, and things get rather tense for the Colossi in the upper and lower levels of society who are either too close to the street or with too much at stake to go about their daily (and nightly!) lives without fear.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2009, 04:07:29 am »

You're doing the math in this Frelock? Sheesh.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28