Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 33 Endgame, DF style!  (Read 29172 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 2
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »

This is so much like Zanlins game, except better, unbiased, and helps people who dont understand at first instead of penalizaing them.

Org kallz for moar teef(money for those who don't play 40k).

Well, Yanlin's game inspired me. It's more structured, as I tend to over complicate anything I touch. I'm not sure if it counts as better, but everybody is forced to start off on equal footing. Only the first turn was unbiased. Disasters/other random events will start coming in next turn  ;)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »

Well, I didn't know we had to put our base in a format, and he made my first roll a one.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 03:32:16 pm »

Could you explain the rolling system a bit more; I'm quite confused what all those numbers and letters mean.  Where do the bonuses come from?  Where do they go?  How can I improve them?

For this turn, the Rodinians (spelled with 2 i's not 1) will instate a feudal system of governmental and societal organization.  This should improve the economy, military, and perhaps infrastructure.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 04:04:54 pm »

Oops, sorry for the misspelling. I'll allow improving multiple stats each turn, but they'll be reduced.

Now to explain how I did whatever it is I did:
Code: [Select]
[acronym=INF- 6+1(ECON)+1(POP)+0.5(TECH)=8.5 / 4+2(INF)=6 = 2.5 = Success]|[/acronym]
INF - INFrastructure improvement attempt
6 - Roll
+1(ECONomy) - Half of economy stat
+1(POPulation) - Half of population stat
+0.5(TECHnology) - Half of technology stat
=8.5 - Total score
/ 4 - Base difficulty check number
+2(INFrastructure) - Current infrastructure stat. This is to make it harder to, say, build a massive military if your population could fit into a small village, and have no homes.
=6 - Total difficulty check
= 2.5 - Difference between score and difficulty
= Success - Basic outcome.

Rules may change as the game goes on. The growth rate for this turn was 5% per morale point. Infrastructure will also affect population growth if it is different from the population. For now:
INFrastructure takes ECONomy and POPulation.
MILitary takes POPulation and ECONomy.
ECONomy takes INFrastructure and POPulation.
Tech will probably take everything.
MRL(morale) will probably take INFrastructure and ECONomy.

I'll use 3-4 character abbreviations to make things easier to type, and the acronym tags shorter.
Yes, I realize it's needlessly complex. Suggestions to make it easier to read are welcome.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:44 pm »

The explorers and crackpots where right? I can hardly believe it but the captain of my military forces has been to this village himself, it must be so. What should we do. The scriptures must guide us and do they not say to welcome friends with open arms.

We will welcome these new citizens into our bountiful empire and start work on improving the pathways through the caves to them, our people must be safe while they travel to this new world.

I must do something about all these reports my scouts keep giving me, hmm but later for now we build! (Ermm well caves so I guess dig?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:01:13 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »

I claim the open spot. I rule over the Basinians, a primitive group of people who live in a giant crater. For my first act, I declare Valentine's week, in an effort to artificially increase the population.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 12:37:27 am »

The zefies are small black fuzz balls, who're my own invention.

For this turn, they'll start to expand, creating some small famring outposts while looking for resources, especially a good quarry and ore.
They started i a forest, by the way.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »

Realizing that this 'economics' stuff is harder than it looks, Collosi ascetics search for answers in the grand old science of mathetmatics. Oh, yeah. They'll figure something out eventually...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 3
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:07:20 pm »

Turn 2. I’ve decided to reduce the growth rate to 5%/morale point over/under 5. IE, at morale 0, -25% growth, and at morale 10, +25% growth rate. Population that regulates itself over time to fill the available space is good so long as no revolutions happen, right? Oh, and morale now has a slight impact on success/failure if it is something other then 5. Morale won’t change more then the difference between population and infrastructure (3 morale with 2 inf and 4 pop, for example.)

While I’m at it, I’ll explain the outcomes I’ve decided on so far:

-2.01 -> -3 = Failure – The stat goes down.
-1.01 -> -2 = Slight Failure – Something goes down – The stat for a turn, morale, or population.
-0.01 -> -1 = Mild Failure – Nothing happens.
0 -> 0.99 = Mild Success – The stat is improved, but it comes at a cost, usually morale or population.
1 -> 1.99 = Slight Success – The stat is improved
2 -> 2.99 = Success – The stat is improved, morale goes up.
Higher successes will allow the stat to raise more then once.

Warboss Org’s Boyz – | Warboss Org rants and raves about not having enough teef. Several deaths later, Da Boyz get the picture and start donating teef to da Warboss.
Economy – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Technology – 1
Military – 2 + 1 = 3
Population – 1.8
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5 + 1(INF) = 6

Frelock’s Raiders of Rodinia – | + | Frelock begins giving islands to various nobles and relatives, in exchange for their promise to support him economically and militarily. Citizens under the new lords are mildly discontented by the change.

Economy – 2 + 0.5(ACT) = 2.5
Technology – 1
Military – 2 + 0.5(ACT) = 2.5
Population – 2.3  + 0.1(MRL) = 2.4
Infrastructure – 3
Morale – 6 + 1(INF) – 1(ACT) = 6

Shade’s Zaniah – | The Zaniah manage to avoid the crippling social instability that normally comes with a massive world-view change, but several groups begin speaking out in public, urging the ruler to destroy everything that is not Zaniah. Meanwhile, the caves leading to the rest of the world are cleared out, paved, and shortened where possible.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 3
Infrastructure – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Morale – 5

R1ck’s Basinians – | R1ck declares a national holiday, making single people feel bad and encouraging couples to have children.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5

Strife26’s Zefies - | The Zefies search their local area, but fail to find any quarries or ore veins.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2.3
Infrastructure – 3
Morale – 5 + 1(INF) = 6

Navian’s Bronze Colossi – | The colossi think carefully. If I have 152 leaves, and take 273 from that guy, I’ll have 425 leaves. The best and brightest minds are put to the task of figuring out arithmetic, geometry, and methods of taking leaves from non-mathematicians, who are less then happy about the situation for some strange reason.

Economy – 1
Technology – 1 + 1(ACT) = 2
Military – 2
Population – 2.3
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5 – 1(ACT) = 4

| A Barbarian Chiefdom – | The barbarians are on the warpath! They attack The Zaniah, hoping to take home their many riches! They were spotted from miles off, and the defenders had plenty of time to prepare. After entering the caves, the barbarians were quickly routed, and flee home to lick their wounds. (+1 morale for Zaniah, canceling out the –morale from their turn. Not shown to prevent spoilers.)

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military –3 -1 (ACT, 1 turn left until restored)
Population –1.8
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5 – 1(ACT) + 1(INF) = 5

Random - | Nothing else happens this turn. (No, barbarians are not affected by disasters/lucky events. Yes, they're rigged. What of it?)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 10:09:33 pm »

Da Boss gitz hiz Meks ta tink up sum tin nice

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

I encourage the brighter members of the now larger population to look into basic astronomy, and applications of it.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 11:27:35 pm »

Are we allowed to influence the tech age?

The zefies will start to learn mining.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 01:30:43 am »

The Raiders of Rodinia will begin researching advanced shipbuilding this turn.  This is mainly a technological benefit.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 04:49:51 am »

Yet more demands to destroy the new world, do people never learn, do they not follow the true one. Hmm maybe these people from the new world don't follow the true one, there could be something in that we must check.

However there are more pressing matters, my military report an attack by some strange barbarians. Of course we saw them off but that is not the point, the new world is clearly more dangerous than we foresaw. I will have to consult the seers about their failure to predict this assault on our people, so much to do so little time.

First however revenge must be taken, we must embark on expanding our military, we must forge more weapons, we must recruit more soldiers and train them in the fires of combat, we will crush these evil barbarians!

Edit: Improve military, attack evil barbarians.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:46:20 pm by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:56 am »

A young mathematician's apprentice, upset with her master's pedantic ways, defies the traditional school of thought and travels far and wide to bring home the perfect tree for the Minty Green House Mint. Many stories of her travels return home, as well as some delicious syrup, not that it's particularly edible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28