Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 33 Endgame, DF style!  (Read 29168 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rise of Civilizations - Turn 33 Endgame, DF style!
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:06:49 pm »

Undeterred by my semi-failed RTD, which was fairly generic and a failure, I have decided to make a new forum game: A hybrid of Civilization and RTD. Everybody gets various stats, and takes one action each turn. Creativity is encouraged. Everything will be fairly abstracted; make up geography as you wish. It won’t affect much, unless it has a reason to do so (IE, building your capital in the middle of a desert, and making it submersible will make you harder to destroy).

I haven’t fully worked out the rules yet, and will probably make them up as I go. All civilizations start in the Bronze Age, in a fantasy world. Technology is not limited to real-world techs, but it should make sense. No researching battle-mechs with lasers during the Bronze Age. Starting limit is 6 civilizations. Everybody starts out equal, and knows where the other civilizations are. I reserve the right to randomly do random things to random people for an apparently random reason. This includes natural disasters.

New civilizations can be created, with a new player. They start with whatever the parent civilization gives them, shifting the resources around (tech level isn’t reduced, of course.) Generally, try to do things that make sense.

Slightly more advanced information:

Economy – Makes many checks easier.
Technology – 0.5x tech level is added to the military rolls, among other things. The check is harder if economy is lower.
Military – Marginally useful for a growing civilization. Takes population to increase.
Population – Goes up each turn based on morale and infrastructure. Important.
Infrastructure – Increases morale and population growth in ways I haven’t thought of yet. Try to keep it above 1/3 of your population, at least. INF includes roads, agriculture, markets, etc.
Morale – 5 is neutral. At 1, roughly 1/2 of the population will be actively trying to end the current rule, replacing the player with a new one if not stopped. Morale in general effects many things.

A D6 at Random.org will be used. Base Difficulty Rating is 4. Get at least that to succeed. Various modifiers will change both the roll and the Difficulty Rating.

Starting levels:
Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5

Sign up now, posting your first action, race, and whatever else is important.. Just be creative, I don’t quite know what to expect for turns here. (Not “I research.” Try “I research ironworking. Or whatever tech you’re going for. Or whatever you’re doing). Naturally, it'll be more interesting if you give me more flavor text to work off of.
1- Org - Warboss Org's Boyz, Orks.
2- Navian - Bronze Collosi.
3- Frelock - Raiders of Rodinia, humans.
4- Strife26 - Zefies.
5- Shades Emperor_Jonathan - The Zaniah.
6- R1ck - The Basinians.
7- Shoruke - Starforgers.
8- Sombrechapeau - Adventurer, The Dead.
Waiting queue spot- Emperor_Jonathan CloisteredSyrups

You will be replaced if you go inactive. The max size of the waiting queue is 1, so people who find out about this later might get the chance to join.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:52:32 pm by Nirur Torir »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Forum Game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:10:24 pm »

I will join. But can you explain better.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:19:28 pm »

I would, but all I manage is a jumbled wall of text. It's loosely based on Yanlin's RTD, yet more structured. I'll try to correct people who do it completely wrong. In general though, if it makes sense, you can probably do it.

Fake edit -- Hey I know!, I'll add in a sample first turn.
I shall join, with The Flying Pirates. We are a race of hobgoblins. Our current military doctrine is throwing more troops at the problem until the enemy falls. I'll spend my turn building more farms and houses, generally improving my infrastructure.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:22:29 pm by Nirur Torir »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:27:42 pm »

WAAAAAGGGHHH!
Warboss Org'z Boyz. We'z Orks
We throw boyz on da enemie til' they dead.
Im gonna build a couple Battlewagons, big tanks/apcs, and Deff Dreds, which are da walka'z.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:29:55 pm »

That's the spirit! You're in the Bronze Age though, not WH40k.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »

Damn, fine. I start buildin da boyz, and gettin some choppas!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:32:44 pm »

I was going to join until it was polluted whit warhammer trash.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:47:18 pm »

I was going to join until it was polluted whit warhammer 40k trash.

If youre going to make fun of something, get it right.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:15 am »

I'll play Bronze Collosi. Who needs Iron Age tech when you are Bronze Age tech? Well, it might still come in handy... Definitely would have for the creators of this race. Oops. Let's start with building up the economy. Very important! We'll need a currency made of metals that have nothing to do with copper or tin. Pennies are just gruesome.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 02:29:55 am »

I shall join with the Raiders of Rodinia.  They are plain humans, but an island-faring race, who's mastery over the waves is not to be contested.  Their capital shall be on the island of Rodinia.

They shall spend their turn creating the state religion.  People are always happy if they think their ruler is a god, and that they will go to a paradise in the afterlife for working hard now.  Something heavily encouraging procreation would also be helpful to increase population, and religious zealots make the best warriors, as they have no regard for their lives.  There's very few things a state religion can't cure.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:52:23 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:41:37 am »

Zefies!

I use this turn to improve the capital city (what are we starting with? A single city?).

Improve citizen accomidations, and start the infastructure needed to build out a small bit.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:57:18 am »

Size of landmass controlled/city count isn't really counted anywhere except flavor text, nor is specific technology (Pegasi riders with +378 swords of wisdom could take on an F-17, if the tech level was the same. Incidentally, magic is a perfectly valid tech path).

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 01:08:24 pm »

I will command, under the guidance of the true one, the Zaniah, the only true people, living as we do high above the cloud level on our plateau.

There can be nothing in this world we don't control as our explorers have seen 'The Edge', a days ride in each direction from our glorious capital, and clearly nothing could survive beyond it, white fluffy things as far as you can see.

Of course some of my people think otherwise and wish to explore these 'clouds', but that is as it should be, for did not the true one say for us to explore the limits of our mind and world.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 2
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »

Turn 1: I got tired of waiting; there's still one slot open. All civilizations do know about each other. Random events start next turn.

Warboss Org’s Boyz – | Warboss Org decapitates an underling and yells for more boyz. Several Orks heed his call, grab Choppas, and form up with the rest o’ da boyz. (+1 MIL, -0.5 POP)

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2 + 1 = 3
Population – 2 – 0.5(ACT) + 0.3 (MRL) = 1.8
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5

Navian’s Bronze Colossi – | Looking for a stable currency not based on inorganic metal, the Bronze Colossi adopt leaves as the standard currency. Inflation skyrockets. (-1 economy until fixed)

Economy – 2 -1(Temp)
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2 + 0.3 (MRL) = 2.3
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5

Frelock’s Raiders of Rodinia – | Every Rodnian that does not believe in the new religion at least pays lip service to it. People in the streets can be seen happily working towards a common goal: Furthering the belief of Aquarianism.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2  + .03 (MRL) = 2.3
Infrastructure – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Morale – 5 + 1(ACT) = 6

Strife26’s Zefies (No idea what they are) – | The Zefies improve their capital, in an attempt to make it a shining jewel that all the world will envy. Every citizen now has a dwelling, and city plans are drawn up for expansion.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2 + 0.3(MRL) = 2.3
Population – 2
Infrastructure – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Morale – 5

Shade’s Zaniah – | Despite knowing that they are alone in the universe, and clearly the most advanced people in it, The Zaniah explore the world more thoroughly. A cave is found, which leads down. It opens up below the clouds. The surprised exploration party then finds | a village. Stunned, they return to their city to get the military. The awed villagers join without a fight. Scouts discover other civilizations, and return to their ruler with the news.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2
Population – 2 + 0.3(MRL) + 0.7(ACT) = 3
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5

A Barbarian Chiefdom – | The barbarian horde gathers its military might.

Economy – 2
Technology – 1
Military – 2 + 1(ACT) = 3
Population – 2 – 0.5(ACT) + 0.3(MRL) = 1.8
Infrastructure – 2
Morale – 5
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:05:23 pm by Nirur Torir »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Civilizations - Turn 2
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:14:57 pm »

This is so much like Zanlins game, except better, unbiased, and helps people who dont understand at first instead of penalizaing them.

Org kallz for moar teef(money for those who don't play 40k).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28