Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is it possible...  (Read 1140 times)

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is it possible...
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:10 pm »

to edit glaciers so that they contain loads of metal? Or even better, make it so Ice can be used as a metal... i've been considering making a race of 'ICE DWARVES' that generate a alot of cold, massive cold resistance but start to die in warm temperatures, and a race of FIRE GOBLINS that emit a heat (enough to melt ice so you have to meet them outside) so in a way the goblins are like the givers of life, and the dwarves the takers :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: is it possible...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »

You could add this

[MATGLOSS_METAL:ICE_METAL]
[NAME:tempered ice][ADJ:ice][COLOR:3:0:1]
[VALUE:10]
[SPEC_HEAT:420]
[MELTING_POINT:12768]
[BOILING_POINT:15150]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL]
[DAMAGE_PERC:100]
[BLOCK_PERC:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]

[REACTION:CREATE_ICE_METAL]
[NAME:temper ice]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ICE_METAL]

This should take normal ice stones and turn them into tempered ice, which is equivalent to iron. Just a thing about your goblins, though. If you embark on a glacier and the goblins have a fixed temperature high enough to melt ice than they will appear on the glacier, melt the ice beneath their feet, fall into the created water, and then freeze into a solid block, killing them instantly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:08:46 pm »

awesome thanks :D...hmmm... might cause minor difficulties... *will think about that one* but thanks alot for the ice bit :D

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:52 am »

fall into the created water, and then freeze into a solid block, killing them instantly.
Even without the refreezing, which technically shouldn't happen, they'd still probably drown.
Having your goblins melt the ice under their feet isn't such a smart idea.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:22:12 am »

I know that the refreezing shouldn't happen, but I have seen it happen before when I created a magma elemental that melted through a glacier only to have it refreeze around them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.