Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Wurm-Like game ?  (Read 29077 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm-Like game ?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:25 am »

Micro. Please stop doing that. Seriously. Just leave. You're flamebaiting me.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2009, 09:43:13 am »

Yanlin...if you dont want to help me then dont post...but dont harrass me either.

Moonlit, thx, but its easier to ask here then to make an account for a game i might not get into or to download the game and find out i cant play it

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2009, 10:01:58 am »

Rage has qweasdzxc as a control set.

It is possible to play multiplayer with the demo, but it MAY only be limited to LAN games(me and my two brothers did a few times a couple months back).
It MAY or MAY NOT allow you to join maps limited to the full game, but you can't start them yourself.

The demo is map and mod limited, but otherwise identical.
Eh?
Eh!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2009, 11:11:34 am »

I share your hatred of wurm. I used to play it, i even made a small cart! (Which took me like two weeks to actually get the stuff, let alone make it...) But when my group kicked me out of their town, and i realised that my cart was in my old home and couldnt be retrieved, i lost it and yelled at my monitor for about ten minutes nonstop.

I uninstalled it some time after. Thats why I dont play wurm, that and the archery grinding.

I recently found something better though. Its called UnReal World. Google it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »

I share your hatred of wurm. I used to play it, i even made a small cart! (Which took me like two weeks to actually get the stuff, let alone make it...) But when my group kicked me out of their town, and i realised that my cart was in my old home and couldnt be retrieved, i lost it and yelled at my monitor for about ten minutes nonstop.

I uninstalled it some time after. Thats why I dont play wurm, that and the archery grinding.

I recently found something better though. Its called UnReal World. Google it.

hope that was recent.....you can ask a GM to retrieve your stuff for you if they wont let you back in.

the guys name wouldnt happen to be usafpararescue would it?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 09:06:59 am »

No, and i dont care anyway. Maybe someone else can use my stuff better.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:32 am »

unreal world seem good, but what rae the limitations of the unregistered version?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 09:52:26 am »

unreal world seem good, but what rae the limitations of the unregistered version?
10 in-game days, then your character dies. You're free to create as many as you wish, though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 10:11:51 am »

not going to try it then. time limits are one of the most annoying things possible. i might try the free version only when i'll be able to pay the full one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:06 am »

if there arent limits then it would be just like free.....WURM has a 20 skill limit

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:01 am »

not going to try it then. time limits are one of the most annoying things possible. i might try the free version only when i'll be able to pay the full one.
Well, it's doubtful that you'll survive those 10 days the first few tries, anyway (it's a rogue-like, death is permanent). And I think it's enough to witness most things in the game (with the exceptions of building houses and farming).

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:43 am »

micro... i said i don't like TIME limits. i played wurm for many months using a basic accaunt (recently upgraded to premium with in game money)

i heard there is winter in the game... seasons in my opinion are very important.

what i odn't like about time limits is that after x time, you are forced to stop playing. i prefere limits like : you can't build x,you can't go to y and your skills can't be above z.
i might play this game, survive 10 days(after trying several times) then see the game closing and just decide: forget that, it wasn't so good after all- and never look back at it.

but on the other hand, when i'll be able to pay things on the internet i probably won't remember about this game, so i might still download and play.

how long, in real time, are 10 in game days?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:15 pm »

how long, in real time, are 10 in game days?
Depends what you do. The game uses rogue-like turn-based (one action per turn) and time compression when you do something that takes time. It could pass quite quickly if you do something like fish all day and live off of eating raw fish or somewhat slower if you micromanage a lot and go for things like hunting.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »

Heh heh... Winter... Get ready to die quickly due to frostbite!

The ten-day limit is really not an issue until you get very good at the game. I got a few hours into one of my characters in the registered version before he died. That one lasted around six days.

Building houses, on the other hand, is pretty much impossible unless you want only one walkable tile. Chopping five trees for each wall, turning them into usable logs, and moving them to the build site (can't pick them up, oh joy) probably takes most of a day. Building one section of wall itself takes roughly nine hours. Altogether, about a full day for one wall section. There are seven wall sections and one door in a one-tile house. That's most of the playable time there for a house that is effectively useless.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 01:01:38 pm »

Well, Op here. I gave another go at Wurm, and... it's way, way better that what I remember. They started a new server, limited to new players, which isn't very populated, and skills are limited to 20 for everyone. As a result, there's not theses strong inequalities that you can found in many games, like when a strong lvl 125 hero full with adamantine armor walk around your little lvl 2 unskilled peasant.

Also, I have to correct my previous statements :

- Technically speaking, the java engine is a terrible one to make game, especially a mmorpg.

-> Wrong. Well, not entirely : The java engine is still not a good engine to make game, but I have to admit that wurm is very well written, even in Java.

- It was very hard to do anything alone, and I just spend a whole afternoon to make a simple dish.

-> That was I played with my girlfriend, and why we met some friends on the server, and then things get a LOT more enjoyable. Seriously, even if the idea of playing like a lone wolf in the forest seems attractive, it's better (and a lot easier) to play with friends.

- Really enjoying it need a lot of time and personnal investment, and you'll be soon or later forced to cooperate with other players (and since I can only play during weekend, and my native language isn't english, that's a bit tough)

-> Still true, even if in 2 days, we managed to build a house, fence off a garden, etc.

- It was free... but not really. Without paying, you have access to only one server, who is heavily populated and builded, you're limited to level 20, you're low-priority to connect, etc

-> Probably true, but no longer on the new server, obviously.

- I was disconnected -very- often during playing, which was totally anti-immersive and tiresome.

-> No longer. Never been disconnected in the whole week.

So in fact, enjoying the game require both free time (I was in holiday), and friends :p
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5