Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: 2 year wealth contest  (Read 10767 times)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 year wealth contest
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »

List of things that really peeve me off  ;D
1) no rope reed = no clothing crafts = loss of significant source of initial income.
2) no rock = no wood-burning or querns = another lost source of income.
3) no axe = 3 peices of wood = 3 buildings at a time = lots of time spent building/destroying
4) trade depot = no industry.
5) Only one signifigant industry available.

also, I think one of my Dwarves has super-powers... He was able to take on multiple antmen, unconscious and mangled, and not only won, but recovered almost instantaniously...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:07:02 pm by Vieto »

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 07:07:08 pm »

Are we permitted to reveal.exe + CtrlC to take a peek at where to dig for adamantine?

[Now that I've posted this, if the answer is no, will I have any real excuse for digging in that area of the map?]

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 07:38:18 pm »

Are we permitted to reveal.exe + CtrlC to take a peek at where to dig for adamantine?

[Now that I've posted this, if the answer is no, will I have any real excuse for digging in that area of the map?]

Hmmm - decisions, decisions. Should I allow you a little help or not?

No. I allowed save scumming. It should be relatively easy to find with your legendary miner and a bit of organization skills so he does not have to walk all across the map. After you find it, remember where it was and revert saves.

@Vieto
no rock= no wood-burning or querns? Why do you need rocks for wood-burning? And there are tos of rock and gems on map - you just have to buy a pick.

To the rope reed - I regret its absence too (if it really is not there - have you tried different parts of map, there are few different biomes if my memory serves well). I tried so hard to generate nice region. It was huge problem to find 6x6 site with everything where skeletal eagles or zombies would not kill dwarves in first minute (yep, I really suck at world generating). I was so happy I have found this one I simply did not check for rope reed.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 07:45:32 pm »

silk is available from the start, next to the chasm.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:27 pm »

I would consider reveal.exe to be a cheat, especially when some of us Mac users can't use it. With save scumming being allowed, you can still accomplish your goal with probe digging. I'm on my 2nd try and know a few good places to dig from the first attempt.

Vieto still needs to look at his map more closely. I have 3 industries running in cycles as logs permit.

I still haven't gotten any early immigrants. I think we're boned on that one. Curious when jplur got his.

No skeletal eagles but the giant eagle has eaten my dwarves more than once. Small matter - the upshot is that he helps achieve the 50 kill challenge when he isn't eating my guys.

(Edit: jplur steals some challenge from the challenge. :)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

the funny thing is, I noticed the silk just before looking here  :D

Also, I don't think I need to worry about kills... (I'm almost at 50, and I've just begun summer)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:32:06 pm by Vieto »

quamper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:48 pm »

well I thought the one dead dwarf wouldn't be a problem.. and I got everything I want + more from the trade caravan :(

It all started with my Trader deciding to tantrum and seriously maim 2 other dwarves plus some animals. One of which once moved into a bed and given some water started to recover. The other just stood there not moving and got Drowsy/Dehydrated/Hunrgy/Angry/+more :D

Loosing is fun :D

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »

Hey I didn't even find the HFS!

But if you look at where my money was made you can guess how I did it..
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »

But if you look at where my money was made you can guess how I did it..

I see engraved mountains.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2009, 10:00:13 pm »

Holy hell. I came close to yours, but with the HFS. When did you get the migrants? I have no idea how to hit that number without HFS and migrants, even seeing what you did.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2009, 11:31:28 pm »

To the rope reed - I regret its absence too (if it really is not there - have you tried different parts of map, there are few different biomes if my memory serves well). I tried so hard to generate nice region. It was huge problem to find 6x6 site with everything where skeletal eagles or zombies would not kill dwarves in first minute (yep, I really suck at world generating). I was so happy I have found this one I simply did not check for rope reed.

Just thought I'd update that there is rope reed in the middle of the map north of the brook. At least I think that's where they found it. So there's cavespider silk where the Giant Eagle likes to hang out and rope reed plants to farm. Plenty for a clothing industry.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 06:37:14 am »

Aww crap, I just made all my early money from incredibly hard-to-micromanage hunting and leather bags. The muskox-prickle-groundhog roasts helped, though.

Anyway, the HFS is easy to locate, provided you can use the Depot Trick. Can we?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2009, 06:55:17 am »

Aww crap, I just made all my early money from incredibly hard-to-micromanage hunting and leather bags. The muskox-prickle-groundhog roasts helped, though.

Anyway, the HFS is easy to locate, provided you can use the Depot Trick. Can we?

No. I allowed save scumming. Come on - I just tried it for myself and have found it before I finished my lunch.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2009, 09:00:51 am »

Well, i tried my hand at this contest, but then it crashed in the late summer just when I had set up a farming/fishing industry and had biscuits everywhere. I guess I'll try again later...
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:59 am »

No. I allowed save scumming. Come on - I just tried it for myself and have found it before I finished my lunch.

Aye aye, cap'n.

Edit: Starting the post-caravan fortress. Let's see how this unfolds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:31:17 am by Gork »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7