Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dumps and pits  (Read 482 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dumps and pits
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:09 pm »

I've had a 1 tile dump designated for a while, and I just mined out and channeled a 1 tile empty space over magma, and designated it as a pit.

But my dwarfs are still dragging stuff to be dumped to the dump tile, not the pit tile. How can I get them to dump trash in the magma?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dumps and pits
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:53:58 pm »

A Pit is not a dump, dump is for items and pit is for creatures.
Designate a tile next to the magma as dump and they will throw it into the magma

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

=O oops.

XX
X.
XX <- 5 spaces around a channeled hole -- which one designated as a dump will get them to throw it down? My intuition was that that would just get them to stack garbage stuff up next to the hole.

[eta]  This is the floor above the magma, if I was unclear about that -- my magma pipe's still full of imps and magma men, I don't particularly want to approach it on the same level.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:14:13 pm by Chromie »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:23:52 pm »

If a tile next to an empty space(a tile with no floor) is designated for Dumping the dwarfs will throw it to the empty space.
if you designate a larger area around empty tiles the dwarves will just throw it over the edge anywhere inside the designation.

remember that magma/cliff dumping is prefered over floorspace dumping, so if you need something dumped but do not want the item destroyed you should temporarily disable the magma dump.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:37:41 pm »

=O oops.

XX
X.
XX <- 5 spaces around a channeled hole -- which one designated as a dump will get them to throw it down? My intuition was that that would just get them to stack garbage stuff up next to the hole.

[eta]  This is the floor above the magma, if I was unclear about that -- my magma pipe's still full of imps and magma men, I don't particularly want to approach it on the same level.

if you designate any of the X'd tiles (or all of them) as a dump, they'll throw stuff into the open tile.

for pits it works the opposite way, you have to designate the open tile as the pit.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »

remember that magma/cliff dumping is prefered over floorspace dumping

I did not even know that! :) Thanks

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »

An easy way to make sure you don't accidentially throw things away is to still dig out a pit, and then dump from the edges from that pit, but on the next Z level down have a bridge, grate, or hatch linked to a lever. Keep it closed most of the time such that dumped items will pile up on it, allowing you to pick out anything you want to save. You can pull the lever to occasionally "flush" the items.