Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: help with fire imps  (Read 665 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
help with fire imps
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »

So, I edited fire imps such that they reproduce and can be tamed by the dungeon master. I was hoping to chain up tamed fire imps on either side of a long entryway as a fire based defense network. And while they do occasionally shoot fireballs, they're very shy about it. Most of the time they try to escape the goblins instead of simply nuking them.

How do I make fire imps more aggressive? They're far more trigger happy against my own dwarves than against goblins.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: help with fire imps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »

[NOFEAR][NOPAIN]-esque tags.

Turn them into mindless killing machines.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »

Did you add the trainable tag to make them War Imps?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »

Adding the NO_FEAR token helped a little bit, but I now have some 40 fire imps on the firing range island. I drop them in from the ceiling as I capture them, and the island has a retractable bridge for access. From there, the population is mostly self sustaining, as reproduction takes care of any losses.

I also have the TRAINABLE tag, however I made both of these changes after the world was generated. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but they so are far more aggressive to my dwarves than they are to invading goblins, and with that many fire imps stationed near the entrance, I was expecting a giant wall of fire to engulf any would-be attackers.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »

You mean, as in, they light your dwarves on fire occasionally?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:11 pm »

Once tamed, the imps are harmless to dwaves. They'll mill about the meeting area if not confined, and the other dwarves don't mind them one bit.

However, they're just very shy when fighting goblins. Considering the number of imps, the amount of fireballs being flung is very disappointing. The imps are far more enthusiastic when wild and when targeting my herbalists.

The imps are stationed in a U-bend sort of road. The road goes around in a U shape, with platform isolated by channels keeping it apart from the road, such that its a perfect firing spot for ranged units. It works just fine with crossbowdwarves, but I'm just having issues with the imps, and I'm not quite sure how to get them aggressive again.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Once tamed, the imps are harmless to dwaves. They'll mill about the meeting area if not confined, and the other dwarves don't mind them one bit.

However, they're just very shy when fighting goblins. Considering the number of imps, the amount of fireballs being flung is very disappointing. The imps are far more enthusiastic when wild and when targeting my herbalists.

The imps are stationed in a U-bend sort of road. The road goes around in a U shape, with platform isolated by channels keeping it apart from the road, such that its a perfect firing spot for ranged units. It works just fine with crossbowdwarves, but I'm just having issues with the imps, and I'm not quite sure how to get them aggressive again.

Seems like you added the trainable tag, but you aren't training them.

Think of them like dogs. You have normal dogs, and you have way dogs. Normal dogs will behave much like your fire imps are behaving right now, war dogs will attack goblins, much like your current imps aren't. If you train them, and turn them into war fire imps (or whatever), they should attack goblins.

Adding the tag [trAINABLE] only made them trainable, it doesn't actually train them.