Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To catch a carp  (Read 906 times)

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To catch a carp
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:37 am »

I want to catch carp for a death pit, how would I go about doing that? If I catch them in a cage trap, will the cage retain the water when the water is removed? Can someone tell me how to tame carp, I read the war carp thread but it isn't very clear.
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To catch a carp
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »

I think cages are actually stasis pods so creatures can never drown in them

if that's not true you can make a cage out of glass [called a terrarium] and set it to aquarium mode.

I can't remember the tags that make things tameable.
The great game of Warlocks!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:59:39 pm »

Not to mention taming them requires a room with a kennels to be flooded to what, 4 depth?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »

Cages are pocket universes. Throw a steel cage into magma, and the creatures within are just fine.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:22:06 pm »

Actually, a good way to separate a carp from a river is to build an underground room, next to (but not connected to) the river. surround it with walls, leaving a gap for a floodgate. channel out the connection, and open the floodgate until a carp comes in and tries to eat the goblin captive stuck on an isle in the middle of the room. then you close the gate, and catch the carp!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 03:31:27 pm »

Actually, a good way to separate a carp from a river is to build an underground room, next to (but not connected to) the river. surround it with walls, leaving a gap for a floodgate. channel out the connection, and open the floodgate until a carp comes in and tries to eat the goblin captive stuck on an isle in the middle of the room. then you close the gate, and catch the carp!

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing! Good thing I know it will work now =D

Anyway thanks for the help guys, will post the results
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »

I did this with one of my forts. It turns out that using terrariums is the only way to keep the carp alive out of water, a +Willow Cage+ will capture it but if it ends up in an above ground stockpile then it will drown. 
They can be tamed without while in the terrariums so there's no need for the underwater kennels (unless you want to make it more challenging) since they are tamed the same way other wild animals are tamed.

SN: It turns out that throwing a steel cage into magma with a cat in it will eventually leave you with a !!cat corpse!!, I was surprised by this fact when I had an accidental magma flooding of my animal stockpile.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 03:23:12 pm »

how can you catch stuff using terrariums?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:36:33 pm »

Terrarium = glass cage.

Just build a cage trap and forbid all your empty cages, except the glass ones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »

how can you catch stuff using terrariums?

Terrariums = a built glass cage. The built glass cage should give you an option to turn it into a terrarium, I don't think there is any way to use a terrarium in a cage trap. Even if you just use glass cages, I think the glass cage will just be a cage in the cage trap, and not a terrarium.

My god, that is a mouthful.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »

Fluids can definitely go into built cages, at least; I've flooded a room with some goblin cages in it and noted they drowned after a while. One time I accidentally had pressurized magma overflow into the area where I was storing goblins waiting to be thrown into the magma, and tons of smoke came out of the (iron) cages, followed by XXgoblin bonesXX being swept along with the magma currents.
I don't know if they'll go into cages in stockpiles.

Sinergistic is confused, and should replace all instances of "terrarium" in his post with "aquarium" and then "glass cage" with "terrarium" to make his post correct.

Just one point I'm curious about:
Sir_Geo, you're saying that in your experience, loading a cage trap with a terrarium and then having it triggered while underwater will cause the water to be captured along with the creature, so that a captured fish will not drown in an aboveground stockpile.
When this happens, does it still get called a terrarium, or does its name change to an aquarium? In other words, does the terrarium/aquarium terminology refer to whether or not it actually has water in it, or just how it's been designated?
If it stays a terrarium, and then you build your carp terrarium, does the fact that it hasn't been designated as an aquarium mean that dwarves will dump the water out of it once it's built, thereby drowning the carp?
And if that's the case, what happens if you capture a goblin in a terrarium, then build it and designate it as an aquarium?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.