Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 3546 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »

Wow. Thanks for providing me a look on myself. I was wrong. I'm sorry.

But the reason I mention my parkour habits every post is because of the sheer power of stupidity.

About wallrunning. Wallrunning is NOT a thing of fantasy. It IS possible. But only about 2 or 3 steps on a wall before you fall off. 3 steps is the ultimate max right now. World record I believe IIRC.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 02:15:17 am »

So you can wall run several steps more than the world record and manage to do complex maneuvers onto things while people are chasing and shooting at you, and your running faster than the world record but are also following a stupid story with ugly cut scenes, not the 3D ones those are beautiful, to save your sister from the bad plot!?

Fucking game, DICE have destroyed my family with their inaccurate and faulty information presented in Mirrors Edge. Only someone of my high taste can possibly understand this, I drink tea in a fancy cup.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 07:12:28 am »

So you can wall run several steps more than the world record and manage to do complex maneuvers onto things while people are chasing and shooting at you, and your running faster than the world record but are also following a stupid story with ugly cut scenes, not the 3D ones those are beautiful, to save your sister from the bad plot!?

Fucking game, DICE have destroyed my family with their inaccurate and faulty information presented in Mirrors Edge. Only someone of my high taste can possibly understand this, I drink tea in a fancy cup.

Finally a review of Mirror's Edge that I can support 100%.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:42:14 am »

Wow. Thanks for providing me a look on myself. I was wrong. I'm sorry.

But the reason I mention my parkour habits every post is because of the sheer power of stupidity.

About wallrunning. Wallrunning is NOT a thing of fantasy. It IS possible. But only about 2 or 3 steps on a wall before you fall off. 3 steps is the ultimate max right now. World record I believe IIRC.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie, a lot of my post, especially that last bit, was mostly jealousy combined with a shitty day. I've always wanted to do parkour, and I can do some of the more basic stuff (really only vaulting over obstacles), but my stamina is really friggen low, and while I'm not really overweight, my arm strength is pretty poor, so a lot of the more advanced climbing stuff is out of my reach.

I'm sorry for lashing out like that, I was overreacting hardcore, won't happen again

On topic: while some of the realism with the actual stunts is arguable at best, I have to say I like the way that weapons were handled, and I REALLY like the fact that you can, and are encouraged, to play without picking up a single gun. I might be weird, but sometimes I like playing as the civilian with no weapons, it makes you think more instead of "click on the enemy until they're dead"

one of the best examples is the first part of Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth. While it was fun when you had a weapon too, the escape from the hotel was one of the most intense gaming experiences that I've had. I had the same feeling in mirrors edge whenever I was being ambushed by blues, especially when you make it out of a building to see a chopper chasing your ass down. you could have made just one long ass level where you run from a chopper for a few hours and I would have bought it

I just hope Mirror's edge 2 is longer, and has more plot, I was barely following the story half the time, although I did like that scene where Faith found the computer with all the runners on it, that had an "aw sheisse" sort of feeling to it
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 07:53:42 am »

Why wait for a second? There's no guarentee it will even be as good as the first. On the other hand, I can almost guarentee that SOMEBODY will make a better game off of the same concept, and it will probably be free, and maybe even open source.

Or a garry's mod mod.
Eh?
Eh!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:27:53 am »

Or a garry's mod mod.
I LOVE Garry's mod mods!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:42 pm »

I don't think the Source engine can do the stuff the Mirror's edge engine can.

I'd love a parkour free running game that uses David Belle and Sebastian Foucan as motion capture actors. They should also be on the design teams. The game must be fully realistic.

A good idea would the Fallout 3 style game start. Mind you that I intend this to be either a flashback style tutorial or just a normal style tutorial where the story starts at the end of it.

You are freshly born to see your parents for the first time. Or we can just skip that part.

Anyway, you're a 3 year old trying to move around the house. You climb over toys, escape your crib, etc.

Next, you're a 6 year old. You are obsessed with moving around. You vault over obstacles. You climb up walls. You're in a good physical condition. This stage has you deal with a bully scene. You are outnumbered. Your only choice is to run. So you run off in an open world school yard. Your goal is to escape somehow. You could seek refuge in the main office. You could try to run away to your home. You could try to separate your attackers and take them on one by one. (Which you can thanks to your movement abilities.) Etc.

Next stage. You are a teenager. 13-16. You are walking on the street with a bunch of your friends to a shop or a club or anything of that sort. Doesn't really matter. Anyway, you encounter a situation. Either a fire that you must escape, a building collapse, gangsters chasing you, saving some citizens from some gangsters. Doesn't matter. As long as it's there. Your friends could potentially experience a permanent change such as a severe injury, incapacitation, invalidity or even death. That will affect the story onwards. You might have a flashback to this part if it's somehow related to the story. That'll be awesome.

Now the main plot could start from here, or go to an adult phase where you are late for work and your car is broken. Public transportation is a nightmare. So you parkour to work. You can replace work with college if need be. Just as long as this isn't exaggerated with you running along rooftops. We all know how wide real streets are and how alleys like in Mirror's edge are rare. I'm talking about taking shortcuts such as vaulting over fences. Running through construction zones. Generally the kind of areas where you can't just run through in a straight line.

This could also have a story impact. You could be constantly late and this is your last chance. You show up late, you're fired. You show up on time, the story progresses in that direction.

Anyway, from here on in, I'd rather let professionals write the story.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 06:34:48 am »

It shall happen in the land of dreams.

Then again, Darkfall is being released and it actually has, GASP, innovation!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:36 am »

It shall happen in the land of dreams.

Then again, Darkfall is being released and it actually has, GASP, innovation!

Wait, darkfall being released?

Gotta check that out.

<10 seconds later>

They closed their forums and disabled game signups in order to apply a patch. Did they actualy release something yesterday or did the beta explode again?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 06:50:42 pm »

They actually have beta videos on YouTube, check it out.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2009, 03:40:13 pm »

Most of the ones i found are remixes of the "trailer", got a link to anything that actualy shows something new?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 2 [3]