Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 3565 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:06 am »

The helicopter(and most likely the troops too) become exponentialy more accurate the moment you stand still. They aren't there to kill you if you don't avoid them, they only enforce the "flow" of the game. Overall, i didn't realy like it, mostly due to the noise and the constant radiant white glow but that's my opinion.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »

The noise and glow are rather realistic. So realistic I had some serious immersion going.

That sound you hear? That's windsheer wizzing pas your ears. The annoying creak? Your shoe making friction with the surface. The breathing? Self explanatory. I LOVED it.

What I didn't like is the extremely heavy grunts faith makes when climbing up stuff. Seriously, she sounds like she's being hit with something. Even if she has all the momentum in the world, she still treats it like climbing it with 0 momentum.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 01:25:43 pm »

The noise and glow are rather realistic. So realistic I had some serious immersion going.

That sound you hear? That's windsheer wizzing pas your ears. The annoying creak? Your shoe making friction with the surface. The breathing? Self explanatory. I LOVED it.

What I didn't like is the extremely heavy grunts faith makes when climbing up stuff. Seriously, she sounds like she's being hit with something. Even if she has all the momentum in the world, she still treats it like climbing it with 0 momentum.

Exept that with an older headset, it all gets mixed into very loud static no matter what the volume is on, which gives me headaches. Additionaly, due to windows 7 scewing up my drivers, i was unable to change the brightness to anything exept max(changing gfx options causes the game to crash), which means that unless i'm hugging a wall, i'm not able to see any pattern on it due to the white washing over to the other colors and walking though any door generaly means 2-3 seconds of complete blindness(i checked in photoshop, there wasn't a single pixel anything other then ffffff brightness) , which get's rather annoying when you run off a building because you can't see what's happening.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 01:59:26 pm »

Exept that with an older headset, it all gets mixed into very loud static no matter what the volume is on, which gives me headaches. Additionaly, due to windows 7 scewing up my drivers, i was unable to change the brightness to anything exept max(changing gfx options causes the game to crash), which means that unless i'm hugging a wall, i'm not able to see any pattern on it due to the white washing over to the other colors and walking though any door generaly means 2-3 seconds of complete blindness(i checked in photoshop, there wasn't a single pixel anything other then ffffff brightness) , which get's rather annoying when you run off a building because you can't see what's happening.

You're blaming the game for problems that aren't caused by it? It's like saying peanut butter sucks because you don't have bread and jelly.

All the flaws you pointed out are not flaws with Mirror's edge.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 12:09:28 pm »

You're blaming the game for problems that aren't caused by it? It's like saying peanut butter sucks because you don't have bread and jelly.

All the flaws you pointed out are not flaws with Mirror's edge.

I was explaining why i didn't enjoy the game, i never said DICE created those problems(other then the criminally short game).

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 04:39:36 pm »

The hell are you doing then calling it a bad game?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 04:49:46 pm »

Whoa, fanboy time...
He didn't say it was a bad game, just saying why he didn't enjoy it. Ya'see?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »

To not enjoy something, one must not like it. Don't start a philosophy war.

Yes. I am a fanboy. But purely on the fact that I already do parkour. This is my kind of game.

I doubt his opinion belongs in this thread. After all, he didn't enjoy the game due to his own fault.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »

Confusious says....

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 05:18:55 pm »

His opinion definitely belongs in this thread. Especially since it involves hardware problems others may encounter. This actually encourages others to do a bit of quick research to see if their system's are ok with it or not, and thus saves others from purchasing a game they may not be able to optimally enjoy.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:40 pm »

Hmm. Never thought about that. I can accept him alerting to hardware problems. But again, he cannot call it a bad game based on his problems which are not the game's fault.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 02:15:24 am »

Any actual new problems, that haven't been pecked to death by everyone yet? Nothing about how good the game would have been in a "massively open world" (why do you think guards in Assassins Creed tried to stop you from sprinting your horse to the next city?), nor any claims of how unrealistic it is. Remember, wall running exists in fantasy.

Here's to hoping to cause pointlessness.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 06:53:49 am »

The game should have ended after the fight with the assasin, the last level felt tacked on with no purpose other then to rip off the final level of half life 2. Even with the arbitrary entension, the game was still too short. The $50 budget cartoon cutscenes didn't help either.

Overall, after playing it on settings that didn't cause migraine attacks(home sweet home, windows XP), the game gave the feeling of EA/DICE running after an AC/HL2 bandwagon screaming me too! me too!

TheToeBighter98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 11:45:22 pm »

It was a great game, just remember: its not about the story (ignore the stupid cut scenes), its about running. It accomplishes the running with grandeur (my smartest word for the week).

Plus, the assassin fight was ridiculous. Just getting there can be an exercise in frustration if you committed yourself to no-weapon play through, and why do I have to wait a full 30 seconds to open one door just to open another 30 second door?

Although, I actually liked the ending level.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:57 am »

Overall, i didn't realy like it

but that's my opinion.

I was explaining why i didn't enjoy the game

To not enjoy something, one must not like it. Don't start a philosophy war.

I doubt his opinion belongs in this thread. After all, he didn't enjoy the game due to his own fault.

Yanlin you seriously need to stop being so defensive. not only in this one but in several others I've seen you hop down the throats of others for even the slightest provacation. He didn't say it was a BAD game, he said he didn't LIKE it. I don't enjoy Halo, for example, but I don't think it's a BAD game. I also didn't enjoy bioshock because the PC I played it on didn't run it very well. I've never once said that it was a bad game. I told a friend of mine my opinion, and we were stll able to have a civilized conversation.

See? people CAN have different opinions without declaring that their opinion "doesn't belong" just because they disagree with you.

also:

But purely on the fact that I already do parkour.

I do a spot of parkour in real life.

form my personal experience with running

We get it. you do parkour. you don't need to mention it in every post.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"
Pages: 1 [2] 3