Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 3561 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Mirror's Edge
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:57 am »

Yanlin verdict: Excellent game. But with some fatal flaws of the Spore kind. It's not the sandbox free running game we were promised like with Assassin's creed. Assassin's creed is pretty much Mirror's edge in 3rd person. Also much better.

Flaw #1: Short. The game is INSANELY short. But that is to be expected of an original game like this. After all, something like this has never been done.

Flaw #2: As mentioned earlier, not sandbox. It would be a whole lot more fun if it were as sandbox as Assassin's creed. But linearity isn't a bad thing. Not to mention it would quickly get moot.

Flaw #3: Faith has some rather unrealistic moves up her... Wait... she doesn't have sleeves... Nevermind. She still has some rather unrealistic moves. Sure it's a video game. But considering we were promised realism... Ish... We didn't get that. For example, speed vaulting over something higher than oneself. Jumping infront of a fence will treat it as if it's a waist high wall when it comes to vaulting. I hardly see it as possible to speed vault over something that high. I've done some research and found no video proving this possible. Prove me wrong if you wish. I'd love that. Oh and before I forget, wall running. It's physically impossible to run over maybe 3 steps on a wall without starting to fall. Faith starts to fall off the wall after about 5 or 6 steps. Not to mention she can still jump off it. While that may be possible, it's hardly as accurate as it is portrayed in game.

Flaw #4: Storyline. I mean, lolwhut?

For a better tasting review of this sort, try this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/457-Mirrors-Edge

I disagree with the flow part though. I never actually got stuck somewhere looking for the next ledge to jump to and such. I never had a case of missed platform unless it was generally my fault. But I may be biased. I do a spot of parkour in real life. Nothing this grand though. I couldn't hold a candle to David Belle or Sebastian Foucan.

Conclusion: Great game to play. But considering the DRM fiasco with EA and how criminally short this game is... I hardly recommend buying it. It's still a must play just for sheer originality. It's taking platforming to a new level. No more are the days of floating platforms and extremely malevolent architecture. I dare say that a fair share of places in the game didn't feel developer made. But some totally did feel like they were. I mean... The Shard has some serious issues with that. It's like they designed it to be accessible by runners.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:34:10 am by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:56:10 pm »

Assassin's creed is pretty much Mirror's edge in 3rd person.
After all, something like this has never been done.

Are you referring to just the first-person view? If so, that doesn't seem utterly unique. What separates this Assassin's Creed, other than the first-person view and non-sandboxness?

As far as realism goes, never trust a developer when they speak of realism. In fact, trust nobody in matters of what's realistic or not, for chances are great that somebody will know nothing and speak loud. Like you disagree with how many steps you can run on a wall. Fine. Well, I have a cousin who's a ninja and he can run kilometers on a wall and you smell funny. And so forth.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:28:33 pm »

I think the unique part is the whole parkour thing as the focus of the game, not as something incidental.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:25 pm »

That and the art style. The use of color is absolutely gorgeous in this game. I generally liked it although the story was pretty much bullshit - you call that an ending? Another unique bit is that the first person camera movement combined with the freedom creates some interesting effects, with the camera bobbing more and more as you run faster. It all works very well together

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »

Don't get me wrong. I loved the graphics and how the camera moves. Cel's face looked extremely well made. Other faces? Not so much.

But form my personal experience with running, your head wont just slightly wiggle sideways when you run at 12KPH (The approximate speed Faith seems to be running in at full speed.)

But parkour is not unique to games. Taking it this realistically is though. Prince of Persia used free running and parkour ever since it started. But it wasn't realistic. Assassin's creed used a bit more realistic version. But very crude. That is to be expected since parkour wasn't even invented yet at the time period that game is set. (Don't start on the architecture. That is for another thread.)

Did I mention that the time trial mode claims you run at 26KPH at full speed? Can humans even run that fast without some insane training? I did some speed tests. Faith does NOT run that fast. The game just has a shitty way of speed detection that needs to be fixed.

If you need info about my speed tests, I asked my dad to drive his car at 10 KPH and I tried to keep up. I had to start running. At 12 KPH I was starting to sprint. At 15KPH I was sprinting. At 20 KPH I could barely keep up. Tests confirmed with treadmill tests at a local gym.

Like Yahtzee said, it was an experiment. I'm proud to be part of the scientific process. Except I didn't have to pay for it and didn't need to get wires shoved up my dick.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:32 pm »

If a random DF board poster (admittedly, one who goes to a gym) can barely keep up at 20kph, I'd say 26kph is pretty darn acceptable top speed for a professional runner.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:04 pm »

If a random DF board poster (admittedly, one who goes to a gym) can barely keep up at 20kph, I'd say 26kph is pretty darn acceptable top speed for a professional runner.

Maybe the gear I used to measure my speed is faulty. Or your assumption is faulty. I will admit that my gym is a bit shady and my dad's car is rather old. (This may cause a legal issue...)

20 KPH is a rather high speed. According to my treadmill at least... Hell even at 15KPH it's insanely fast. Faith, while being a trained runner, isn't running a sprint. Considering the stamina she seems to have, it would be expected she could run maybe a few kilometers under the conditions she exposes herself to. But as any trained runner would tell you, it's extremely stupid to run full speed while performing free running. Running on a 100 meter dash is nothing like free running or parkour.

Hell the world speed record for a 100 meter dash is 9.5 seconds. That's 36~ KPH.

Hold your stinkin' horses boy. Nobody can sustain such speed for more than a few seconds before practically fainting. We're talking about 100 meters here. Faith runs about a kilometer or two per level. She runs at 12 KPH. A trained runner can maintain 12 KPH for an hour or so before getting tired. Faith exerts a lot of effort. I consulted a recent Ph.D graduate that did a fair share of study on running as part of his Ph.D. Before you ask, the recent Ph.D is a friend of mine.

Go to any local gym. Ask any of the regular treadmill goers. They will mock at you for saying that 12 KPH is slow. It is a reasonable speed for running. Ask any true traceur you know. They will say the same.

20 KPH is about as fast as I can possibly run. It's about as fast as most people can run. Those "Trained runners" you see in the Olympics dedicated their lives to becoming that fast. But they can't maintain that speed for a very long time.

Faith is very nimble and athletic. But running at 26 KPH is humanly impossible under the conditions she's in. Vaulting over fences? Escaping cops? Sustaining impact over and over again? GETTING FILLED WITH BULLETS. (That's what she said joke cue.)

Not to mention the worst of all. The pressure.

A reasonable run speed for Faith would be 15 KPH. 12 is the normal run speed. Faith is a highly trained runner. We can assume some handwaving since the game is set in the future. Hell maybe Faith is on drugs. But we can't just assume that. The game has to say that. Referring back to the lolwhut storyline.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:17:47 pm »

Anywho.... I agree with Yatzee.
ITS A BLOODY PIECE OF ESSFLAWCONDODGECKINDESIMUDSTORLIKETERSOCKITY!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 06:38:41 pm »

Maybe the gear I used to measure my speed is faulty. Or your assumption is faulty. I will admit that my gym is a bit shady and my dad's car is rather old. (This may cause a legal issue...)

20 KPH is a rather high speed. According to my treadmill at least... Hell even at 15KPH it's insanely fast. Faith, while being a trained runner, isn't running a sprint. Considering the stamina she seems to have, it would be expected she could run maybe a few kilometers under the conditions she exposes herself to. But as any trained runner would tell you, it's extremely stupid to run full speed while performing free running. Running on a 100 meter dash is nothing like free running or parkour.

Hell the world speed record for a 100 meter dash is 9.5 seconds. That's 36~ KPH.

Hold your stinkin' horses boy. Nobody can sustain such speed for more than a few seconds before practically fainting. We're talking about 100 meters here. Faith runs about a kilometer or two per level. She runs at 12 KPH. A trained runner can maintain 12 KPH for an hour or so before getting tired. Faith exerts a lot of effort. I consulted a recent Ph.D graduate that did a fair share of study on running as part of his Ph.D. Before you ask, the recent Ph.D is a friend of mine.

Go to any local gym. Ask any of the regular treadmill goers. They will mock at you for saying that 12 KPH is slow. It is a reasonable speed for running. Ask any true traceur you know. They will say the same.

20 KPH is about as fast as I can possibly run. It's about as fast as most people can run. Those "Trained runners" you see in the Olympics dedicated their lives to becoming that fast. But they can't maintain that speed for a very long time.

Faith is very nimble and athletic. But running at 26 KPH is humanly impossible under the conditions she's in. Vaulting over fences? Escaping cops? Sustaining impact over and over again? GETTING FILLED WITH BULLETS. (That's what she said joke cue.)

Not to mention the worst of all. The pressure.

A reasonable run speed for Faith would be 15 KPH. 12 is the normal run speed. Faith is a highly trained runner. We can assume some handwaving since the game is set in the future. Hell maybe Faith is on drugs. But we can't just assume that. The game has to say that. Referring back to the lolwhut storyline.

The top human speed of all time is by Johnson in the olypics, at 10.35 m/s or 37.267 km/h.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:30 am »

Make him do it with hurdles. For five times as long. With people shooting at him.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:57:40 am »

Quote from: Tilla
The top human speed of all time is by Johnson in the olypics, at 10.35 m/s or 37.267 km/h.

Quote from: Yanlin

I already said that. Guess you don't know what ~ means.

Now for what you missed.

Quote from: Ampersand
Make him do it with hurdles. For five times as long. With people shooting at him.

Also as I said:

Quote from: Yanlin
Hold your stinkin' horses boy. Nobody can sustain such speed for more than a few seconds before practically fainting. We're talking about 100 meters here. Faith runs about a kilometer or two per level. She runs at 12 KPH. A trained runner can maintain 12 KPH for an hour or so before getting tired. Faith exerts a lot of effort.

Hope that sums it up. Thanks for great wording there Ampersand.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:29:00 pm »

I'd wager he'd run faster with people shooting at him.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »

...And hitting him.
!!&!!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:41:02 pm »

...And hitting him.
With their stormtrooperlike aim.

This thread is now about Extreme Mirrors Edge Olympics.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 04:01:03 am »

Oh and I almost forgot. Crouch jumping is real! Valve wasn't lying!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3