Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suicidal Kittens  (Read 1575 times)

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suicidal Kittens
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:10:57 am »

ok, so iven entered my first siege.. just a few goblins, my security systems should take care of them..

but, as i get the message of a siege every fucking cat ( including two donkeys and a horse ) rushes the goblins just to be killed in an instant....    this didnt make my dwarves happy  :'(

so, are there any way of letting animals into the fortress but not out?
and at the same time let dwarves outside?

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Kittens
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:45:09 am »

At least you can make preventive mesures - first thing that comes to mind is to have pets in cages.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

FoboslC

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:15 am »

lulz, a dwarven bolt counter-measure.

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:59 am »

wouldnt keeping them in cages remove the happy thought of having them?

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:36:28 am »

and wouldnt it take a lot of cages?  i dont want to waste that much resources and room

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:41:01 am »

and wouldnt it take a lot of cages?  i dont want to waste that much resources and room
Alas, cages are capable of holding an unlimited number of creatures and entities.

The problem here is pets cannot be designated to be caged, so you will either have to seal the exits from pets or slaughter them all. By all I either mean the goblins or pets.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:53:19 am »

is there someway to mod the game into not having vermin and no tame animals?

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

or rather, to remove the cats behavior of auto assigning them as pets

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:12:58 am »

If you remove their [VERMIN_HUNTER] tag they won't adopt dwarves, but they won't hunt vermin either.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:52 am »

Today needs to do some coding on this one. There should be a separate tag from [VERMIN_HUNTER]

Maybe [ADOPTABLE] or something?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

What about setting doors so that they are not "pet accessible"?

As long as you have an airlock about 3 doors thick, all pets should be trapped in that area. Some pets will end up going outside anyway when some dwarves spend too much time outdoors, slipping through the cracks, but for the most part, your dwarves will probably spend more time inside than out, keeping your animals in.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:44:33 pm »

ive thought of that, but the problem then will be when imigrants and thier aimals arrive, i dont want to change the properties of the doors all the time

and yeah, seems wierd that this behavior is tied to a parameter called vermin_hunter......

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:04:19 pm »

ive thought of that, but the problem then will be when imigrants and thier aimals arrive, i dont want to change the properties of the doors all the time

and yeah, seems wierd that this behavior is tied to a parameter called vermin_hunter......

That's the beauty of it. By the time migrants make enough friends that you have to worry about them, their pets would have navigated into your fortress by themselves. Locked doors only work on a small, marginal basis. Dwarves don't really keep pets from crossing the threshold, so they will make it through and be wherever the owner spends the most time.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:30:32 pm »

Today needs to do some coding on this one. There should be a separate tag from [VERMIN_HUNTER]

Maybe [ADOPTABLE] or something?

Agreed. The current method [..vermin hunters are adopting the dwarves] can be very annoying...not only because of the cats, but what if you mod in 3-4 other creatures and give them the vermin hunter tag?  :-X
So either way this must be separated like you've suggested it already.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »

not only because of the cats, but what if you mod in 3-4 other creatures and give them the vermin hunter tag?  :-X

Like elephants....

Those big, flat feet would be perfect for squashing bugs.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0
Pages: [1] 2