Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping a floor on the gobby's  (Read 1108 times)

Angellus

Dropping a floor on the gobby's
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:28:06 am »

So, it required some time to setup, but I now have a elevated position in front of my gates resting only on one support, connected to mister leverofdeath, my question, what do you thing? will it kill the siege in one hit or require my CBD's to check out for survivors? (It is large enough to do so ^^)

Also, what would be a nice addition? Would it help to build a stone stockpile on the floor for extra damage?  ;D

Pojodan

• Bay Watcher
  • !!fire!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping a floor on the gobby's
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:31:46 am »

A collapsing ceiling is a one-hit kill, pretty much, and anything close to the collapse will get blown back, so having a nice wall for the stragglers to splatter against would be a nice addition, I'd think.

Don't think having rocks sitting around in the corridor of wall-collapsing-death will make any difference

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:40:59 am »

A collapsing ceiling is a one-hit kill, pretty much, and anything close to the collapse will get blown back, so having a nice wall for the stragglers to splatter against would be a nice addition, I'd think.

Don't think having rocks sitting around in the corridor of wall-collapsing-death will make any difference
wh00t,

Then its just waiting now :)
The wall will come in after this round ;)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:33:21 am »

Take a video!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:36:19 am »

Take a video!
I'm completely new to that, but I'll try it out ;)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:39:01 am »

Press ;
Press r
Leave the screen and play your fort (there should be a blinking red REC in the lower right corner)
When you're finished recording, hit ; again
Press s to save the record
Give it a filename
Profit!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:47:27 am »

good, then I'll just have to wait for gobby's to start sieging now, which they should have done long ago (I'm already at 107 dwarves)...

Angellus

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:29:17 am »

I tried it out on the elven caravan inside of my trade depot, and this is what happened xD...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1100-notasplanned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:24:15 am »

I've been meaning to do this, except connected to a pressure plate instead.  Like a real proper stone-fall trap.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 11:33:13 am »

Oh man, you smashed the elves through the floor! That was like pro wrestlers getting powerbombed though a table. For a moment I was worried that the surface water was going to start flooding your fort.

Angellus

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:45:07 am »

Oh man, you smashed the elves through the floor! That was like pro wrestlers getting powerbombed though a table. For a moment I was worried that the surface water was going to start flooding your fort.
I had that moment too, but it was just splash damage ;)

Would have had a lever to stop the water there anyway.

@Foot: A rather large stone-fall trap XD
Too bad it falls right trough the floor.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 03:57:15 pm »

Yeah, collapsing materials will crush floors if there is not a wall beneath them. On a 1-by-1 tile basis: if you drop this floor:

Code: [Select]
+++
+++
+++

Onto this one:

+++
+++
+++

And this is beneath:

O+O
+++
O+O

The dropped-upon level will end up like this:

+.+
+.+

[code]

And all the debris will fall down to the 2nd level below.
quib·ble

Angellus

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »

So I'll be placing myself some walls underneath my floors then ^^ thanks.

But I think I'll search another way as this ruins most of the equipment (which in turn is meltable ^^)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 06:18:31 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think constructed walls are also vulnerable to this sort of thing.

Maybe they're only smashable by falling natural walls, but constructed walls are definitely less sturdy than natural walls in some way I can't quite remember.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bujold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think constructed walls are also vulnerable to this sort of thing.

Maybe they're only smashable by falling natural walls, but constructed walls are definitely less sturdy than natural walls in some way I can't quite remember.

It's when they fall. A carved out fortress caved-in down to the lower level would only shake up your dwarves and buildings, but if it was a built fortress, you'd have a lot of shaken up, homeless dwarves. Or possibly crushed dwarves from some sort of pancaking effect? That would require more testing.
And then, when you arrive at your destination, the dwarves split up and destroy anything in thier path. Kinda like locusts, but bearded and drunk.