Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disappearing Bones/Shells  (Read 585 times)

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disappearing Bones/Shells
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:19 pm »

It seems as though my bones and shells are vanishing into thin air.  In order to preserve my more valuable bones, such as Titan Bones, I forbid them as soon as the corpse has rotted away.  I don't forbid shells, but I have been making it a point to not use them ever since I found out that any given map's turtle supply is limited.

Despite these measures, I never seem to have more than a couple shells on hand, and my Titan Bones are always missing when one of my dwarves goes into a strange mood and I go to forbid all non-Titan bones.  I recently began setting my refuse stockpiles outside in order to eliminate the miasma problem.  Is this somehow the problem? Do bones/shells rot away?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing Bones/Shells
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:12:13 pm »

I'm not sure of the exact science of it, but I think every season there's a chance for bones and stuff outside to disappear. Try making a stockpile inside JUST for bones and shells.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:18 pm »

Yep. All outdoor refuse disappears eventually. Make a room inside with double deep doors, or create an indoor refuse pile that only accepts bones/shells and takes from the outdoor one. Once the corpse rots away, the bones will be queued up for hauling inside.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:40 am »

What I'd do:

1) Make a garbage dump inside close to the workshop
2) Mark the bones/shells for dumpind
3) When needed for use, unforbid

This way the items wont be accidentally used while being transfered from outside refuse pile to inside.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:47:58 am »

Thanks for the responses.  I had already setup an indoor stockpile for just bones/shells/skulls as a precaution, but was curious if I was missing something.  I was beginning to think passing dogs were gnawing on the bones or something.