Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civilization Forge: Frost Giant Citidel  (Read 7965 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Civilization Forge: Frost Giant Citidel
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »

This will be my thread for the Frost Giant variant of Civilization Forge. This thread only lists the changes made in this version. For the general CivForge changes, please go here.

Frost Giant Citadel is up!

Download it here

Overview:

The Frost Giant Citidel variant replaces Dwarves with the Frost Giants as the playable civ in Fortress Mode. The Frost Giants are a cruel but honorable people, spending thier lives in frozen tundras and glaciers of the world. Here they create great citidels, often made of ice. They are hunters, ranchers, and fishers, known more for thier battle prowess than thier crafting ability. They honor strength and courage over all, and generally look down on the lesser races of the world.

Frost giants are twice as large as dwarves, and therefore both do more damage and take less damage in combat. With thier larger weapons they can send enemies flying off the screen. However, thier sense of honor forbids them from using missile weapons, and they cannot make them. And, as Frost Giants are natural predators, their peasants (but not craftsmen) will serve as an impromptu militia. They will attack any hostile creatures that get close to them. This is quite useful against thieves, but quite dangerous againt invading forces.

In this same vein, Frost Giants do not farm. They will do some herbalism to get plants to brew (though they do not require booze the way dwarves do), but they do not do any processing or milling. Most of thier food should come from hunting or ranching, and fishing if flowing water is available. They can weave thread to cloth, and dye it, but must import the materials from traders.

Please note that while I have done as much as I could to make the game Giant oriented, much of Fortress mode is hard-coded to assume dwarves. The embark message and all of the diplomatic messages will all still refer to your people as Dwarves.

New Materials:
   This mod adds in two new metals to the game.
   Pykrete - A mixture of ice and wood pulp, Pykrete can be almost as strong as concrete. While normally pykrete would melt like ice, the Frost Giants can use thier ice-aligned nature to keep items made of Pykrete from melting inside. It would still melt on a hot map, however. Pykrete makes mediocre armor and weapons, but it's main ingredient is abundent in the colder regions of the world, and wood is cheap to acquire. Also, it requires no fule to create (though shaping it at the forge still does).
   Wintersteel - The elemental properties of the rare Rime berry, coupled with cut Frost Crystals and ice can be used to create Wintersteel. This metal is nearly as strong as steel, and quite valuable. Like Pykrete, it requires no fule to create (though shaping it at the forge still does).

Note that while these two metals are both solid at room temperature, the raw ingredient of ice is not. Therefore, you will need an outdoor smelter to create these two metals.

Removed Material
    Incendium - Being Ice-aligned creatures, Frost Giants will not create or use Incendium. Elementium, like-wise, is modified to use Ward Crystals instead of Fire Hearts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:42:07 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FoboslC

Re: Civilization Forge: Frost Giant Citidel
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:25:09 pm »

FREEZE BREATHE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible at the moment. Although it should be after the next release of Dwarf Fortress.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »

Hmm...that's a thought. I wonder if I'd have to set the other races as butcherable? Certainly doable.
Come play Mafia with us!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 01:19:37 pm »

other races as butcherable?

Obviously, the giants will build their citadels out of giant frozen blocks of Elf Tallow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:46:01 pm »

other races as butcherable?

Obviously, the giants will build their citadels out of giant frozen blocks of Elf Tallow.
*Rubs hands together evilly*

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »

Hmm...that's a thought. I wonder if I'd have to set the other races as butcherable? Certainly doable.

I think that all that you have to do is edit the ethics of the Frost Giants so that they have consume sentient flesh set to acceptable.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »

Well, I've finished my initial tests. Works pretty well.

Interesting observations so far:
    Your civilians do not take enemy soldier seriously, and are in fact quite likely to run up and start pounding on them. Good against thieves, not so good against entire squads.
    Apparently just having ethics set to eat sentients isn't enough, so I'll have to set them to being butcherable.
    Frost Giant hunters do not have anywhere close to the mortality rate of dwarven hunters. Between them, ranching, and what you buy from caravans food really isn't an issue. Even without farming.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:55 pm »

hmm.... make it so they can make ice into the equivalent of dwarf obsidian swords

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:07:13 pm »

Hmm...I suppose I could make a smelter reaction for it. I'll have to decide what the other materials would be for it. After all, ice by itself wouldn't do it. I'll need more then that.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:55:17 pm »

well, the giants would proablly be able to carve the ice into stone type products, since they'd live in the cold ect....

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:37 pm »

well, thats why you make ice weapons have damage of say iron or copper or something, but durability of obsidian...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:53:16 pm »

Why not call it Pykrete?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »

Hmmm...1 log and 4 ice blocks to turn into Pykrete bars. That can work. I'll just have to figure out the temperature for it to melt at. Shouldn't be hard.
Come play Mafia with us!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 12:07:43 am »

As for the ice breath idea, how about making a creature a webber except setting the webbing to extremely low temperatures. You could even make it a frost giant pet, and if you get the temperatures just right, make its silk deadly for non arctic races but comfortable for the frost giants.
Pages: [1] 2