Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Future weapons  (Read 3423 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future weapons
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »

I imagine equipment maintenance would be drilled into Dwarf Fortress soldiers just like real life ones. There's a reason you get reprimanded for not shining your boots - the shoeshine keeps them alive much longer.

How about a maintenance bench or something to that effect, as a piece of furniture that you put in your barracks or wherever, which can be assumed to contain whetstones, little hammers, grades, knives and whatever other kit you need to keep your stuff in repair. Dwarfs who feel a need to sharpen their ax or smooth out a dent in their helm would go there to do it.

Dwarf soldiers who don't keep their stuff in order get shouted out by the dwarf sergeant and are made to run laps around the fortress or do hauling jobs or something similar.  ;)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:02 pm »

How about a maintenance bench or something to that effect, as a piece of furniture that you put in your barracks or wherever, which can be assumed to contain whetstones, little hammers, grades, knives and whatever other kit you need to keep your stuff in repair.
With the current workshop system, this would be best, with some option to power it (for grinding wheel-related jobs).  If and when workshops are made into designated rooms with tools inside, my other suggestion, or something similar/better might do better.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 08:46:05 pm »

Back to the sword versus armor discussion. My little bit:

1) It is possible to pierce armor with sword. But it requires unhuman strength. But in Dwarf Fortress are other entities than humans. And even humans have developed unhuman strength - we all know situations when thrown sock completely annihilated bears. Another possibility is sword in weapon trap or spikes trap (which is the same when having thin spikes). Trap can theoretically develop extreme force.

2) When armor is old, rusty or simply poorly made, it requires not unhuman strength but just one lucky pierce/blow to cut trough.

3) I am not sure, but it seems that you all overlooked one thing. EVERY armor has holes and joints in it. There is enough space for sword between plates. That is why knights were wearing chain mail under plate mail.

I believe that it should be possible to pierce armor with sword sometimes. The hard thing is to get that sword back. It is surprisingly hard to retrieve sword that is stuck in dead body.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 10:01:51 am »

Pierceing is rather easy, cuting it is nearly impossible. As long you apply an constant force you get throught the metal. Thats why Bolts glance away, they have only a initial force.

The techics of the "Halfsword" style are designed to go throught heavy plating. Recovering your weapon wasnt that hard.

Armors like this this or this had almost no openings sas you may see.

The last picture also shows what kind of sword against this type of armor was used (the sword in the hands of the armor, not that one in the background). Twohanded Swords with a Triangular or rectangular crossection. This swords pierced also rather easely throught Chainmail cause they applyed the force behind them on only one or two chainrings.

There is a huge difference between a weapon for fighting someone in heavy armor and a weapon for fighting unaromred oponents.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 10:52:15 am »

Pierceing is rather easy, cuting it is nearly impossible. As long you apply an constant force you get throught the metal. Thats why Bolts glance away, they have only a initial force.

The techics of the "Halfsword" style are designed to go throught heavy plating. Recovering your weapon wasnt that hard.

Armors like this this or this had almost no openings sas you may see.

The last picture also shows what kind of sword against this type of armor was used (the sword in the hands of the armor, not that one in the background). Twohanded Swords with a Triangular or rectangular crossection. This swords pierced also rather easely throught Chainmail cause they applyed the force behind them on only one or two chainrings.

There is a huge difference between a weapon for fighting someone in heavy armor and a weapon for fighting unaromred oponents.

I completely agree. I just think that when part of weapons is getting damage determined by in-game physics, it would be weird to disable possibility of piercing someone in armor with not-against-armored-enemies sword just because it is impossible/very hard in real life. I believe it would be nice if everything was handled by game itself.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:38 am »

Hey i have nothing against a little bit abstaction ;).

Also toady has said the following on atacks with weapons:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Heph
All it needs now is more realistic attacks like stings (with pierce damage) for attack with swords (or sabers which my elves got)  as addition to the normal damage types. Sometimes i just want to bash out some teeth with the shaft of my Spear/Pike(/moded polearms) or make an cut/slash with its blade.

The weapons all have multiple attack types now, but it's really a baby baby system until the combat arc.  I'm not sure there really be used at all this time around (I just needed a replacement for what was there).  The sword has a thrust/slash/flat blade/pommel whack associated for example, but I don't think it'll do much of anything with AI/interface them, and since items don't currently have parts or multiple materials, there just isn't a lot going on yet.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:14 am »

I imagine equipment maintenance would be drilled into Dwarf Fortress soldiers just like real life ones. There's a reason you get reprimanded for not shining your boots - the shoeshine keeps them alive much longer.
Actually, this is quite untrue - constantly shining shoes wears them down slightly, and the army discourages it in times of war. Of course, being caked in mud and gore won't help them, but being clean doesn't necessarily mean being shiny.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

on other side - having rust in wound is nasty

Tetanus isn't actually caused by rust, if that's what you're thinking of.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:59 pm »

Hmm...I'd like to see Stilettos in the game. After all, it's a weapon designed quite well to pierce chain and slip through the gaps of plate. Knock your opponent down, sit on him, and kill him with your dagger. Simple and effective.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 03:41:17 pm »

The first "Misericordia" (Another name for Stilettos it also prevents confusion with a woman shoes) were made around 1600 so a bit to late.

Anyway dwarfs and Goblins are intelligent and especally the later would use such a weapon i think. I would be for them even thought they are anachronistic.

Proud to be a Furry.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

on other side - having rust in wound is nasty

Tetanus isn't actually caused by rust, if that's what you're thinking of.

Thank you for information. I have been lied for years!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 11:00:29 am »

Thank you for information. I have been lied for years!

Any rusty nails you find probably also have tetanus bacteria on them though, and a puncture wound is an ideal environment for a tetanus infection to grow.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 02:38:04 pm »

As long as I don't need 200 units of grease every damn year for this, sure

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:19 pm »

Actually, this is quite untrue - constantly shining shoes wears them down slightly, and the army discourages it in times of war. Of course, being caked in mud and gore won't help them, but being clean doesn't necessarily mean being shiny.

Well, wearing the shoes wears them down. And the shoeshine protects them from that wear, slowing it down. The shoeshine also protects against wet and mud damaging them.

I wouldn't recommend cutting down on equipment maintenance because you happen to be at war. After all it's when you use the equipment a lot that you need to maintain it a lot. Having your rifle explode in your hands when you try to fire it is a rather undignified way to die.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 04:12:44 pm »

whether or not shining the shoes is good for them, it certainly drills attention to your equipment into your brain, and for weapons it's a definite factor...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5