Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: National LCS  (Read 17902 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: National LCS
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:30 pm »

Being pulled over for different things, maybe?

Speed: Minor, Fine
Smashed Tail-light: Minor, Fine
Stolen Car: Major, Pulled Over, Car Searched

Events could happen while the cops are talking to you, if your charisma is low:

Jittery: Asked to step out of car
Car Search: If weapons or such are seen or found on your person, car searched
Police Brutality: If out of car, cops could attempt to beat the shit out of you, with an option to resist

Weapon Search rolls would be based on disguise rolls and Police Regs
Car Search would be disguise+charisma with Police Regs/Privacy being factors

Stolen cars could have body work and license plate switches to reduce heat on them

Guns, armours, drugs, registration papers(forged or real) and money could be stored in cars for long voyages.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »

Police Brutality: If out of car, cops could attempt to beat the shit out of you, with an option to resist

At which point you'd want an option to install hidden cameras in the car, and then try to deliberately provoke this, with a minority being the victim, in order to gain publicity.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2009, 06:47:39 pm »

At which point you'd want an option to install hidden cameras in the car, and then try to deliberately provoke this, with a minority being the victim, in order to gain publicity.

This type of action is already covered by causing trouble in the activism screen.  No, it's not the exact same thing, but I'd prefer the Fox's limited time goes towards nationalizing the LCS then redundant features.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2009, 11:00:10 pm »

Very good point.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2009, 12:47:37 am »

Those car suggestions in general all sound good; but I'd agree they come after any nationalization of the LCS. Getting pulled over seems like a great addition for intercity travel by car, once that's in first. And having a "Pulled over in your car" scene is something I've wanted done for awhile. It was actually in Toady's devnotes as something for LCS's future before DF -- including getting beaten up during a stop.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 03:38:06 am »

For now, I'd say it's sufficent to just expand slightly on how they are currently handled.  In other words, if a Liberal has no criminal record and no illegal weapons, they get a small fine.  But if they're wanted, or have illegal weapons, they either need to flee, surrender, or fight.  In the case the character has illegal weapons, they get accused of illegal possession of a dangerous weapon (Just guessing that's 6 months max, unless Death Penalty is ultra-conservative).

Should be the easiest to program, not that I know anything about programming.

I forgot to mention, the chance to be pulled over should be based on driving, but generally a driving skill of 1 probably is good enough 99% of the time.  I'd assume that's the basic level of people who actually need to drive to work on a daily basis.  Then again, I recall some of the drivers I've seen on the road...

Hm, but the question of jurisdiction comes up.  You'd probably have to map out the country, with travel being restricted to adjacent cities.  Then, cop encounters have a 50% chance of occuring in each city, so 50% of the time surrendering to the cops will effectively transfer the liberal, in that they will be in the jail of the city in which they wanted to relocate.  Of course, overall city heat would go up by having wanted LCS members getting caught attempting to enter a city.

Little by little.  This game's going places!  If even 5% of the stuff being discussed gets implemented, next release should be Awesome Legendary!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 04:19:56 am »

Should be the easiest to program, not that I know anything about programming.

I'm not a real programmer, but I do have to cook up the occasional bit of script from time to time.

Here's my perspective on assessing how hard something is to code:

First, read through that block of text you wrote, counting the number of "ifs" you used.  A simple "if" translates to a chunk of work.  A complex "if" translates to a headache and a chunk of work.  An "if" that is measuring something not currently programmed, such as which cities are along a route, translates to a huge amount of work.

Second, look at your idea and count all the different outcomes that can arise.  For instance, if you have illegal weapons: not noticed, flavor text, flee, surrender, fight, police beating.  Something already in the game exactly as you want it.  If it's something that's not modeled in the game already, like fines, it's gonna be a lot tougher.  And the more general the outcome, the worse it gets, because general outcomes are really a bunch of if's and specific outcomes hidden underneath.

Generally speaking, good communication is complex.  When talking to people, you want to convey a wealth of information and different possible ideas with the fewest words.  Communicating an idea for programming is the opposite.  You want your idea to contain as little information as possible.  Computers might be precise, but they aren't subtle.

So don't think about the unimportant contingencies.  Not even Toady describes stuff merely for the sake of describing it.  You need to be shooting for a specific goal, some exact thing you want to accomplish, an "arc" if you will.  You want to achieve that goal while describing the situation as little as possible.

Really, it wasn't too bad until after you made the quoted statement.  But past there....
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 11:08:15 am »

Um, technically, you get beaten by rednecks. Not police. The police beating is just a reenactment.

You're staging the police beating. You aren't actually getting beaten up.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 08:45:44 pm »

Yup, after the quoted statement was basically pipedreams and the result of too little sleep.  It can be ignored totally with no offense taken.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:19 pm »

it's not without merit however.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 06:02:51 am »

I in turn would be against the nationalisation of the LCS, until at least we can develop the mass action assignment interface. I just feel the amount of micromanagement would increase to unfun levels.

I do have a vision of how I would like the nationalisation take place: the cities you go to aren't like the city in which you are based. You get to install people in those cities, but they get to be sleepers (starting out with a carte blanche in a new city) or get to do special assignments (assassinate president in Washington, infiltrate one of the 56 FBI field offices, organize a concert or gallery). Again this is to keep the micromanagement from taking away from the fun - this way you don't need to set up a whole new LCS for each city/region.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 11:42:34 am »

Hm. I would assume there is just one LCS, it's just now a mobile taskforce moving everywhere in order to not get caught. Though I think I would like some staybehind agents to act as sleepers, so I don't have to move from Texas over to New York just because New York passed tax-cuts.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »

I think LCS needs to be able to move from city to city, possibly destroying some in the process.

This is mainly becasue I dont see how you can change the opinions of a whole nation by just sitting in one place you know? Plus you get more use for cars.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2009, 12:44:26 am »

Actually, I was thinking that generally when the LCS leaves a city, they don't go back.  Either, they've done so much so the city stays generally Elite Liberal, at least on the the national scale, or they would be shot on sight by the cops.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 08:45:07 am »

How would that be different then when you are normally operating in a city?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7