Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: National LCS  (Read 17895 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: National LCS
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 05:49:43 pm »

Does that mean that appartment complexes will cease to be penis shaped?

Er... no, not as such. Apartment complexes are currently emulating their previous form. But it does mean they'll be much easier to change in the future.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:54:16 pm »

Wow!  Great idea Mr/Ms.Fox!!!  ;D (i'll stop with that joke now)

I feel that implementing cities is like the needed path to greater glory for LCS.  The important thing is to let influence things and not just be there for the sake of making the game longer or harder. 
  What I can imagine is having different key cities in some states and influencing them towards liberal views, then in the Presidential elections votes will come from each state depending on its leaning.  That should make it interesting... 
   The thing is how to handle CCS... wich I have for a while been thinking that must react to LCS activity and spark when LCS comes into scene. 
   As it has been said, there should be some kind of delegating people to take care of a state's needs more or less.

It's a huge step and must be analized thoroughly to keep the game simple but hard avoiding excessive micromanagement.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »

I love the idea of seperate LCS groups.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »

This is an excellent idea, and it opens up the system to become more complicated.  For instance, you could have different popularity and issue levels for the different cities.  This would let you affect the government regionally, only getting senators from one region if you work there heavily, and having to move to another to affect further change in the government. 

I love the idea of specialized sites.  Go to the white house and assassinate the president.  Blow up the conservative controlled senate building (if you did it when the senate was primarily liberal it'd ruin your popularity and push all the issues in the conservative direction). 

That's something I'd like to see in the game.  A few options that are just insanely unpopular that would take a heavily liberal society way in the direction of conservatism.  Things get too easy when they aren't carrying AR-15's and when 2/3rds of the population isn't conservative.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »

Fascinating idea, indeed. I don't know about the number of cities you had in mind when you posted the thread, but my first intuition would be to start with only a handful of them until they can be fleshed out and individualized in later releases, with each city (randomly selected out of a local pool in the beginning) representing a larger cultural bloc.

Keeping in mind that the Conservatives are on the ascendant at game start, regions could be the West Coast (overall Liberal), the East Coast (overall Moderate), the Midwest (overall Conservative) and the South (overall Arch-Conservative), plus Washington D.C. as an additional 'region' with unique properties, as mentioned in the first post of the thread (seducing/blackmailing/kidnapping/murdering congressmen/senators/supreme justices, hell yeah! Since a dead congressman is just going to be replaced by a living one from the same party, this shouldn't be too unbalancing).

As each region sends its share of representatives to Washington, you can't win the game by staying in one place. Once activated, the CCS will be very entrenched in the South (more so than the LCS in the West), making inroads there should be very dangerous and taxing (as the CCS already has a formidable collaborator/sleeper network in that region that will often give away the location of your hideouts) and definitely one of the major late game tasks. The various regions should also have different 'base' opinion values, with the South being much more resilient to successful Liberal actions and much easier swayed by Conservative ones (so when you raise an issue up to 100%, you're still fighting an uphill battle against the CCS to keep it that way, unless you subvert them completely), and the West being somewhat on the other side of the scale (not quite a polar opposite, though). In addition, the game should start on the West Coast, since this might serve as a good 'tutorial level' where new players can mess around with more room for error, while the veterans will likely use the mild conditions there as a springboard for quickly building up the operational capabilities of their organization and moving on to the more dangerous regions.

With the possibility of air travel already having been suggested, an airport location in every city is a logical consequence, as are several new NPC types (pilot, steward/stewardess, customs officer, air marshal, etc.). Bringing weapons with you on a commercial flight is probably a very bad idea unless privacy laws are Elite Liberal (no luggage or personal scans). You can bring other stuff along if you must, but it's costly and probably easier to send by car a few days in advance if you have a vehicle to spare. You can also obtain a small passenger plane for private travel if you have someone in your group with the piloting skill. Unlike driving, you can't just train someone with zero piloting skill simply by flying around. That'll always end in a crash, so get someone competent behind the controls. I'm not sure if it should be possible to steal aircraft, because there are a lot less of them than there are cars and they are a lot more visible. You may have to buy one, but then, I don't really know a lot about the history of aircraft theft!

Hehe... when going to Washington D.C., you should have the option of sneaking into the Capitol and holding a speech in front of the representatives. Persuasion requirements for being allowed to actually finish your speech without being swarmed by agents and security should be very high (it's a late game thing, anyway), and you'd have to sneak in and run out through a high-security zone that's been set up around the building (so you effectively have to survive three areas in a row instead of one, although you wouldn't have to fight on your way in, so make that two).

As a difficulty setting of sorts, there could be a switch in the start menu that can be set from 'Normal' to 'Dystopia' for people who are looking for a challenge. The game starts about 10 years later with the CCS already active and all regions already turned Arch-Conservative, save for the West Coast, which is 'merely' Conservative.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 07:11:03 pm »

Since a dead congressman is just going to be replaced by a living one from the same party, this shouldn't be too unbalancing

Not really. See, if a congressman dies...depending on the state the congressman belonged to, you either have a special election that will be held in a couple of months (leaving the seat vacant until the special election occurs) or the governor appoints a replacement until the next election (special or not).

So if the C+ senator lives in an area controlled by a C Governor, and the C+ Senator dies, the C Governor will just appoint a C replacement, until elections. That's a very big improvement right there, that's one possible vote against a C+ Law.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:07:00 pm »

Wall of text.
Regarding stealing airplanes. One could take them over with a squad and redirect them or potentially completely steal them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »

There has been instances where terrorists hijack airplanes, land them in a safe location, and then telephone the main government, telling them that they would safely return the passangers and the airplane...if, of course, their fellow comrades gets out of prison.

It would be interesting if, when you are attempting an hijacking, you decide if the main goal of the hijacking is to blow stuff up, free one of your comrades, or receive ransom money.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:34 pm »

Maybe redirect them into the White House?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:52 am »

Not really. See, if a congressman dies...

Wow, talk about an egg on my face. I really didn't know that. In my defense, I'm Austrian; stuff works a little bit different over here.

Regarding stealing airplanes. One could take them over with a squad and redirect them or potentially completely steal them.

I think people misunderstood me again. I was talking about stealing small passenger airplanes like a Cessna, for use as a squad vehicle between cities.

A small addendum to my wall of text above: the squad should be able to sabotage the X-ray machines at an airport, for more awareness in the 'privacy laws' category.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 03:26:29 am »

plane highjacking seems to be straying from the core of the game.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 01:10:28 pm »

9/11 anyone?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »

Do you even play LCS?

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:27 pm »

9/11 anyone?

Apparently people are playing a fun game of only reading select parts of my posts. I don't know how to verbally simplify the airplane idea any further than this, so I hope what I'm going to post now will clear it up once and for all:

"For interstate travel, I propose the personal use of small, private airplanes in addition to the booking of large commercial flights."

I don't know where the terrorism or 9/11 discussion that's creeping into the thread comes into play here, but I also don't see half of the stuff that you guys are detecting in my posts.

Do you even play LCS?

Was that directed at me?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 03:53:08 pm »

Was that directed at me?

I think it was directed to Yanlin.

The reason that the terrorism crept in was, well, because LCS is a left-wing terrorist group. It only one step from stealing an airplane to travel to stealing an airplane to use as a weapon. We were thinking of how to add up to the main idea of stealing airplanes, the idea of just using airplanes to travel is a good idea too.

EDIT: However, I think mainaic might make a good point against hijacking. The LCS wages an urban insurgency, only killing those who are 'guilty'. Hijackings tend to cause a bit more damage, to both liberals and conservatives.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 03:58:38 pm by Servant Corps »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7