Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves using 2 tiles hardcoded?  (Read 1201 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Dwarves using 2 tiles hardcoded?
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:48:52 am »

You know how when you draft a dwarf, the tile they use changes? Is this hardcoded or is there some obscure tag that i keep missing in the raws?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves using 2 tiles hardcoded?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:58 am »

Rock solid hardcoding it would seem, if you use any other character for the race's base graphic, it doesn't change to anything else when you recruit them.  Just TILE:1, turning to TILE:2.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »

You could fix it with a graphics set, couldn't you?  Even if all you put in the graphics set are the tiles from the tile set.  Would at least give you control.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:59:01 am »

You could fix it with a graphics set, couldn't you?  Even if all you put in the graphics set are the tiles from the tile set.  Would at least give you control.

Can i make it so the gfx tiles are also 8x12?

Also, another question. Can i increase the height of the curses_(insert screen size here) picture files, and add more tiles? So theres more than just the 256 or whatever tiles already available.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:19:18 am »

You can make as many tiles as you want as I believe, and the picture is applied/stretched to the format of the character, so 8x12 should be possible.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »

More tiles in the font file? Not possible, afaik. 's still hardcoded to 256 (or whatever). could lead to some amusing wierdness if you tried however.

as i understand it, the file specified as the font is devided into 256 (or whatever) tiles by dividing the height and width by 16 (i think, what's the square root of 256? 'm too lazy to figure it out).  so if you try to increase the height/width of the font file, you'll just end up with the tile divisions that the game uses falling in the middle of your tiles. assuming it doesn't crash.

and to answer the original question, can't you change the tile used in creature_standard.txt?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 02:04:37 am »

More tiles in the font file? Not possible, afaik. 's still hardcoded to 256 (or whatever). could lead to some amusing wierdness if you tried however.

as i understand it, the file specified as the font is devided into 256 (or whatever) tiles by dividing the height and width by 16 (i think, what's the square root of 256? 'm too lazy to figure it out).  so if you try to increase the height/width of the font file, you'll just end up with the tile divisions that the game uses falling in the middle of your tiles. assuming it doesn't crash.

and to answer the original question, can't you change the tile used in creature_standard.txt?

Technically you CAN add more lines of tiles. I just tried it. Depending on the size of the font file, the game either used tiles 1 line under what they'd normally be ('Q' becomes 'a' etc.), or, as you said, the divisions move to the middle of the tile.

And if you mean changing the tile used when a creature gets drafted, then no.  :-\