Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Mafia, anyone? (Round 2 Over!)  (Read 65214 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Mafia, anyone? (Day 1)
« Reply #315 on: February 24, 2009, 12:26:25 pm »

If there is a child or sheriff in this game, Please check out FobosIC, so that we can get this over with.

Hey! Look here I'm a child!

We can protect one of either the child or the sheriff with the doctor. So if one can confirm the other in a sensible way they can talk to each other and the public one lets us know what both are doing. However unless there is a sensible way to confirm each other they are better off both staying quiet.

I still request the hammerer publicly claim though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 24, 2009, 12:26:57 pm »

And Martian walks outside, only to be struck by lightning!

We'll just assume he died that way, instead of being modkilled.

no role flip?
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:52 pm »

I'm going to switch from abstain to no lynch. I've seen enough to get some ideas on who might be elves, but I still think not lynching on the first day is the best course of action.

Yes, it does give the elves a free kill. But considering that the odds of us lynching a dwarf are much higher then that of getting an elf all it really means is that we DON'T give them two free kills. And, if we're really unlucky and lynch someone with a decent night role, we've lost any chance of them doing something useful before they die.

I've see games where lynching on the first day really crippled the town. I don't think getting lucky and killing an elf is worth the risk.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 24, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »

The odds are against hitting an elf at random I agree. I would estimate the chance of hitting an elf is around 25-33% depending on their numbers, however the reason you don't no-lynch day 1 is the process of finding out information rather than the lynch itself.

If enough people no-lynch then the elves can no-lynch as well and there is a good chance we start day 2 with the same information we have on day 1. Are you going to no-lynch then as well? Forcing people to vote makes people defend themselves and forces discussion. Yes this can go to far, I've played games where people refused to discuss until everyone had voted (which is equally bad).

As to killing someone with a decent night role, they can always claim. I for one would never day 1 lynch someone who claimed to be a doctor or cop for example. Isn't worth the risk.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »

But you do have more information the next day. All of the information gathering night roles will know something, even if it isn't much. They can then kick start things with what they know. Plus, of course, we all know who died and what they were.

And while people can claim to be surgeon or sheriff, that's risky in lots of ways. Especially if they're telling the truth, since that just gives the elves a better guess at who to kill at night. Even moreso for the surgeon, since they can't heal themselves.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2009, 01:07:17 pm »

And Martian walks outside, only to be struck by lightning!

We'll just assume he died that way, instead of being modkilled.

no role flip?
He's just a Dwarf.

FoboslC

« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »

Okay, You really got me people, Im a Druid.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:24 pm »

I agree with Mephansteras. If elves would be foolish enough to wait too much dwarves will win, so there is nothing (right now) to worry about Shades.

Up: Nice tactic! But it confirms nothing.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:34 pm »

FoboslC

« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2009, 01:33:03 pm »

But I really am!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 24, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »

But I really am!

Hmm can't find a link for lynching druids that tell the truth so your probably okay. But then failing any other information why not FoboslC

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:37 pm »

I agree with Mephansteras. If elves would be foolish enough to wait too much dwarves will win, so there is nothing (right now) to worry about Shades.

I've only played in one game where no-lynching the first day wasn't a good idea, and that was due to some non-standard mechanics and a lack of role flips on death. But I'm not worried, and I should really stop bringing it up because I'm sure people know my view on it by now :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:15 pm »

It might be wise to not lynch him if he's telling the truth. All that'll do is switch one of US over to being a traitor.

If the hammerer takes him out tonight, I don't think he gets to convert anyone. So I recommend that the hammerer target FobosIC, and we still not lynch anyone.
Come play Mafia with us!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »

If the hammerer takes him out tonight, I don't think he gets to convert anyone. So I recommend that the hammerer target FobosIC, and we still not lynch anyone.

What are your thoughts on the hammerer claiming Mephansteras? I don't see a downside other than the loss of 'accidental' elf killing themselves. But as we potentially have a lot of roles where dwarves can target someone I think there is a lot of risk.

FoboslC

« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2009, 01:52:20 pm »

People, are you crazy? I clearly stated im ELF.
But instead of just voting me ot of game, you decide to power up your imagination, finally resulting in mass-hystery, as everyone think im traitor.
People, Im an ELF. What if I just cant be on daily, so I just give myself up.
If You proceed to lynch me, maybe Ill tell who are the others elves.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43