Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: P plates and traps  (Read 349 times)

Maxwell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
P plates and traps
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:37:26 pm »

I Must say i am SERIOUSLY impressed with this game but, Well i couldn't find this stuff on the wiki, and only glanced over your forums so I am giving up before i test for hours (killing the game for me) trying to find what I am guessing is common in game things every one (should?) knows.

A.) Any way to see what exactly you linked a p plate/lever to? I foresee myself pulling wrong levers latter for draw bridges quite often if i cant check and make sure =X .
EDIT. also any way to check what sets a P plate off?

B.) How exactly stone fall and (meele) weapon traps and such are supposed to work, without levers (if it can) since you cant put a P plate directly under them. Im aware some things are immune to p plates but, just assume whatever its meant to kill is idk, a awesome kitten.

C.) So what is wrong with this lay out (bottom of post) for a well/fishing area, it looks like it would work to me, the idea was water pours in it and , it shuts it, and Loops, but what it does is closes the door when it floods (good), opens it when gets low (good), but will not SHUT it again once it opens a second time(broken loop), resulting in fortress flood.  I was doing this just fine before with a basic dual flood gate thing that made a small reserve then released it into the well when i told it to, i just thought using automated P plates would make this easier and well, automatic for latter on when i stop caring so much about ordering my guys to give themselves water when it gets low. I am sure I just made some minor over sight that some one could kindly point out XD

Thanks in advance

X = wall
^ = Up stairs
O = Well above this spot
P  = P plate at 0-5 (or 5-5 i don't recall)
=  = flood gate
W = Watter source

XXX 
X^X
XOX
X  X
XPX
X  X
X=X
XWX
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:44:24 pm by Maxwell »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: P plates and traps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:46:25 am »

A.  As far as I know, there's not a simple way to see what a lever's linked to.  I generally build my levers out of a particular stone color to remind me what it's for.  I use a basalt lever for my drawbridge control, a microcline lever for my water intake floodgate, a bauxite lever for my lava pump, etc.

If you don't want to do this for whatever reason, Toady recently added a feature that lets you add "notes" (shift-n) in fortress mode.  This is a sign that's only visible to the user (not your dwarves) in which you can enter any text you want.  You can put a note on or near your levers indicating what they control.

There is one complicated pain-in-the-ass way to find out.  With any particular lever, you can link it to more than one thing.  So, you highlight the lever with "q" and then create a new task to link the lever to something, then you scroll through the list.  Everything in your fortress that you can link the lever to will show up in that list.  By the process of elimination, the one mechanism NOT on that list is the one the lever's linked to.  You really shouldn't do this though, just color-code or note your levers.

I'm not sure about the pressure plates.  Somebody with more pressure plate expertise than myself can tell you.

B.  Weapon, cage, and stonefall traps don't need a trigger to work, except for "menacing spikes".  If you have ten obsidian swords or a spiked ball in a weapon trap, it will automatically trigger when any non-trapavoiding character walks on the tile containing it.  They also trigger when a dwarf or tame animal falls unconscious on that tile.  Stone traps work once, then generate a "reload trap" task before they'll function again.  Weapon traps work over and over, but occasionally get jammed up with body parts and gore and generate a "clear trap" task before they'll work again.

C.  Again, I'm not a pressure plate expert.  Somebody else?