Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trading food... exploit?  (Read 1917 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Trading food... exploit?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:19 am »

Of course, large stacks of ingredients clutter the kitchen, making it take longer.  I really think the main problem with food is that it's too easy to get.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 01:34:20 pm »

But then, another question is: do you want to worry about getting food all the time, or do you want to worry about the challenge you've set for yourself in your ongoing fort?

I mean, if I'm gonna be building a megaconstruction, I wanna focus my attention on the construction process - not on the farm plots.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 02:50:02 pm »

Obviously we shouldn't have a system that requires constant monitoring by the player.  A necessity to re-irrigate fields is probably the simplest method of doing this.  Requiring fertilizer to get good yields, getting that from animals, and being able to set it to make the stuff automatically would be another good step; you'd have to make sure that you kept enough animals alive.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »

It'll be a little better once cooking is fleshed out so you can't use only syrup but still, selling prepared meals is sploity either way unless it's something like bread

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 05:17:25 pm »

i was wondering about the upcoming change to cooking, will you not be able to use alcohol in cooking at all, or just not items made -only- out of alcohol? seems like the latter would be the way to go, let you supplement your food supplies with your liquor (and make tasty dishes) but still require enough 'real' food.

i didn't even realize it was doing this at first until i remembered I had turned off cooking of plump helmets at first to get my brewing going and then just left it off.

yeah, making a 'roast' out of nothing but wine has gotta be a sploit XD

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »

i was wondering about the upcoming change to cooking, will you not be able to use alcohol in cooking at all, or just not items made -only- out of alcohol? seems like the latter would be the way to go, let you supplement your food supplies with your liquor (and make tasty dishes) but still require enough 'real' food.
Latter would be preferred, but the former would certainly be easier to code. It's up to Toady, really. One possibility to mix things up (read: further complicate things) could be to have the latter option, but add a little more into it: Have the kitchen, where you can make meals that use booze as a supplemental ingredient (cat meat roast with dwarven ale-battered plump helmet, mmm), and add a bar or something as a new workshop, where you can make cocktails that use foods as supplemental ingredients (some dwarven wine and sunshine topped off with a prickle berry sounds nice, eh? :P). Would still be an absolute bitch to code, though.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:16 pm »

I just had an awesome thought;  How soon should we be able to mod in chocolate properly (release-wise)?
Just so I remember

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:37 am »

Personally, I never cook alcohol anymore. I embark with a few dozen pieces of meat, cook them all, then trade the cooked meat to the first caravan for more meat. Even paying 200% for meat and fish, I can still buy out every edible non-plant item with enough left over to grab whatever other trinkets I want (usually dogs and above-ground booze, I don't bother with surface farming) and still send the merchants home happy. Negotiation is useless. Butchery is useless. Fishing is useless. With big enough caravans, even Brewing is useless. Cooking wins DF.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 12:06:04 pm »

Obviously we shouldn't have a system that requires constant monitoring by the player.  A necessity to re-irrigate fields is probably the simplest method of doing this.  Requiring fertilizer to get good yields, getting that from animals, and being able to set it to make the stuff automatically would be another good step; you'd have to make sure that you kept enough animals alive.
I do not want to have to re-irrigate fields.  Re-irrigate fields built on muddy stone, sure.  Having to periodically fertilize fields, sure.  But absolutely requiring a river just to plant berries in perfectly good loam?  Hell no.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 01:43:41 pm »

You have a point when it comes to above-ground farming, but requiring fertilization in some form, whether it's by flooding or composting or whatever, for underground farms, is perfectly reasonable since they don't get sunlight and have more of a need of biomatter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 07:12:50 pm »

I do not want to have to re-irrigate fields.  Re-irrigate fields built on muddy stone, sure.  Having to periodically fertilize fields, sure.  But absolutely requiring a river just to plant berries in perfectly good loam?  Hell no.
But you don't even irrigate loam fields in the first place.  Therefor, they cannot be re-irrigated.
I thought that would be obvious, but I guess not.
Just so I remember

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 02:13:18 am »

I know you don't irrigate loam in the first place.  But some people seem to strongly imply that that's what they want.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:55 pm »

Negotiation is useless. Butchery is useless. Fishing is useless. With big enough caravans, even Brewing is useless.
Everything is useless, so why the fuck bother any more?
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: 1 [2]