Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs Won't Bury Corpse  (Read 1010 times)

AncientToaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfs Won't Bury Corpse
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:58:22 pm »

I have a carpenter who died after a strange mood that went awry. He's lain dead on the floor of his workshop for over a year now. All my dwarfs have the burial labor enabled, and he has a coffin designated for him, but they won't bury him. Any ideas?

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs Won't Bury Corpse
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:20:54 pm »

Is his corpse forbidden? Only thing I can think of.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »

You didn't perhaps lock him in the workshop, did you?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:13 pm »

Try to station troops in his grave and the room he's in, should reveal pathing issues

AncientToaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:02:27 pm »

Workshops has no door, troops stationing there fine, corpse isn't forbidden. Looks like my dwarfs are just challenged. XD

Incidentally, my FPS counter always reads 0. Is it not displaying all digits, or am I simply getting 0 FPS?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:11:43 pm by AncientToaster »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »

Is the coffin item itself forbidden?  't' over the coffin "building" to check.

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:27:07 pm »

check the jobslist ('j') and see if the 'Place Item In Tomb' job is there, and whether or not a dwarf is assigned to it.

I've had that job remain unassigned for long periods because I wasn't letting my dwarves idle enough.

If the job's not on the list-
When you say "he has a coffin designated for him," does that mean he had a tomb assigned prior to his death?  Or that there was a coffin set for Burial that the game chose for him, that now has his name on it when you query it?

If the former, try making a coffin available for general burial and see if he ends up there.  If the latter, he'll get put there eventually -- even if you have to wait for him to rot to bones first!  I've once or twice had to wait; I'm not clear on why.

AncientToaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »

The job isn't on the list, and there was a coffin set for burial that the game picked for him. He's rotted to bones, I guess I'll just wait for someone to have pity on him. :)

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:35:12 am »

Also, hit o and check to see if there is anything there that might interfere? I couldn't figure out why my dwarves weren't using some stockpiles for refuse until I saw that refuse hauling outdoors wasn't allowed (darn skylights!).
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:43:53 am »

I had a similar bug like this in my previous fort. The difference was that the body never decomposed, it just sat there. There was a door there but I dismantled it. Now when I try to build a door there again it gets suspended because of the corpse in the way. I tried channeling the spot to see if I could move it to the floor below, but even that order was ignored. It was like the tile was completely locked. This was between a workshop and the main hallway and dwarves even walk through that doorway (so not an access issue).

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:09 am »

I have a carpenter who died after a strange mood that went awry. He's lain dead on the floor of his workshop for over a year now. All my dwarfs have the burial labor enabled, and he has a coffin designated for him, but they won't bury him. Any ideas?
I'm surprised nobody's noticed this. How did he die after his strange mood? You said the workshops have no doors, so he obviously wasn't locked in and left to starve, and if he went melancholy or stark raving mad he would have walked out of the workshop and died elsewhere. I'm going to take a guess that he went berserk, was killed by your military, and while wrestling or something he was pushed away and ended up dying on one of the impassable tiles of the workshop. If so, the dwarves can't get to the corpse. Dismantle the workshop.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:42:23 pm »

Designate a graveyard stockpile on the surface far away from your entrance and see if they at least bury him there.  That will give you a hint as to whether the problem is related to his body or your coffins.  Dwarves buried in a graveyard can be re-buried in a coffin later.  You also may want to just channel under him so his body goes "down the chute".  Then you can put a locked hatch on the hole after his body falls through.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:44:37 pm by greggbert »
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 03:07:19 pm »

Workshops has no door, troops stationing there fine, corpse isn't forbidden. Looks like my dwarfs are just challenged. XD

Incidentally, my FPS counter always reads 0. Is it not displaying all digits, or am I simply getting 0 FPS?

Do you have a mac because the mac fps counter is busted.