Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion  (Read 9349 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2009, 06:05:33 pm »

I definately need practice with this. Started playing UFO:AI, and the first mission I managed to, a. Torch one of my men with a flamethrower, b. shoot one of my men with a rifle, and c. blow up two of my men with a grenade. Great fun.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2009, 06:49:57 pm »

Look. It's just my view. I never had to deal with 'destrucible' terrian. If it is there, okay. But it isn't, I'm not going to scream.

The point is that X-Com always had destructible walls and floors. For most X-Com fans, this is a requirement in clones/remakes.

Nobody is saying that every squad based game has to have destructible terrain.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:00 pm »

Look. It's just my view. I never had to deal with 'destrucible' terrian. If it is there, okay. But it isn't, I'm not going to scream.

The point is that X-Com always had destructible walls and floors. For most X-Com fans, this is a requirement in clones/remakes.

Nobody is saying that every squad based game has to have destructible terrain.

This.  In fact, if you ask most gamers "Name a game with destructable terrain", they'll say "X-Com".  Or "Red Faction" if they're jerks.  It's what set the game apart from every other game in its DECADE.  It's not X-Com without the ability to remove inconvenient walls.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2009, 07:21:27 pm »

Well, uh... I wouldn't go as far as that, to say that the only thing that makes X-com special is the destructible terrain, really...

It's just for if you play a remake of a game ten years later, it's weird when a relatively distinctive feature like that is missing. It's no big deal really.

Plus, indestructible terrain leads to silly situations like this: When I played Ufo:AI a while ago, on farm maps when I tried to hit enemies behind fences that just consisted just of a single thin wooden railing, the shot would always hit that small wooden railing instead... even when shooting from a window a level above  ???

Probably to be classified as a bug, but it wouldn't be so much of a problem when that stupid fence would just break...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:41 am »

* Rilder is reminded of the silent storm mission where you have to extract some stuff from this building and its filled with explosives and if you hit one of them the whole building explodes failing the mission.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2009, 01:47:26 am »

I must agree that the indestructible terrain is annoying. It definately feels like a game where things should be getting blown up. I've had office chairs stop flamethrower attacks.

Edit: I must ask. What is an economical way to take down a UFO early game? I have a feeling that swarming them would work but that takes significant time and resources. Any easier/cheaper ways.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:14:51 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »

That depends on the UFO. scouts (small,medium and even large, tough there might be some heavy damage) can be taken down with a single Interceptor with stingrays and auto-cannons (hat you start out with). I doubt even 4 of those could take down a battleship. So, my advice is: pick your fights.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2009, 06:26:56 pm »

I've recently been playing X-COM and Terror from the Depths to see the differences between the two.  They are of course essentially the exact same game, with one giant exception.

In X-COM, the aliens never, ever use grenades.  Commanders might, occasionally, use their blaster launchers, which is the only alien explosive weapon.

In TftD, the aliens are fucking grenade masters, and now have their own version of the rocket launcher, and aren't afraid to use both.  I've been losing at least three soldiers a turn.  The worst (which I had to reload from) was when a grenade took out the tank, the sergeant, and three other soldiers.  Then the HE/autocannon guy panicked and killed two other people, and two more froze in place.  The four survivors spent the next two turns alternately moving until they were all sniped off.  Complete failure.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2009, 06:52:23 pm »

The game calls them harvesters with 15 speed, so I assume they are the smaller type of UFO. I decided to set up a intercept base to house 8 interceptors eventually while my workshop base pumps out sellables and armaments so I can afford those interceptors.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »

That is a complete waste of cash.  I've never found more than two Interceptors to be necessary at any given base.  Right now I've got six bases ringed around the world.  Three of them are actual manned facilities with two Interceptors and a Skyranger each, and the original base doubles as my manufacturing facility.  A base on the Falkland Islands houses all my researchers.  I've got two more fighter stations in the Andes and the Congo (which the aliens may have found), and I'll probably build the last two in India and the Arctic.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »

Yeah, it probably is a waste. Way I figure it is that with 8 of em I run little risk of losing one each time they go out. Meh, I'm still trying to figure out how a mob can take 3 airburst grenades to the face and not drop. Seen that happen a couple of times.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2009, 07:09:57 pm »

Edit: I must ask. What is an economical way to take down a UFO early game? I have a feeling that swarming them would work but that takes significant time and resources. Any easier/cheaper ways.

I assume you're talking about UFO: AI, as an interceptor with dual Avalanche missiles is enough for any small ufo in X-Com 1. You'll need to manually control the helicopters to dodge the missiles if you want them to live. I like using two helicopters each armed with three missile launchers and two ECMs. Manual control and save/load abuse cuts down dramatically on casualties.

Mind you, I keep getting distracted with UFO: AI, and have never gotten very far, so I assume that better strategies are needed against harder ufos.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:53 am »

I've recently been playing X-COM and Terror from the Depths to see the differences between the two.  They are of course essentially the exact same game, with one giant exception.

There I was thinking you were going to say the Heavy Thermic Lance!

The weapon of choice against the lobstermen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:27 am »

In X-COM, the aliens never, ever use grenades.  Commanders might, occasionally, use their blaster launchers, which is the only alien explosive weapon.

In TftD, the aliens are fucking grenade masters, and now have their own version of the rocket launcher, and aren't afraid to use both.  I've been losing at least three soldiers a turn.  The worst (which I had to reload from) was when a grenade took out the tank, the sergeant, and three other soldiers.  Then the HE/autocannon guy panicked and killed two other people, and two more froze in place.  The four survivors spent the next two turns alternately moving until they were all sniped off.  Complete failure.

I just got the new release of all the x-com games off of steam ($15 dollars for 5 games, not bad). And, interestingly, they DO use grenades a good bit in X-com with this version. Fortunately, the Sectoids apparently suck at throwing, and are more likely to bomb themselves then my guys. But I'm not looking forward to fighting some of the later aliens. It's going to be painful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2009, 02:00:11 pm »

Beware of the floater cannons.

Right now in apoc, I have those blue aliens with the jumper/smart bombs. They go crazy with them.

I get some with launchers too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10