Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion  (Read 9358 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »

I tend to burn them down when needed. >.>

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:40 pm »

Well in any case, being able to blow up walls adds tactical options (open passageways to walk through or for targeting enemies), some realism (see rocket against wooden wall example), and it's simply more fun if you can lay waste to buildings etc.

So yeah I agree that it's a pity that this is missing from the remake...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:34 pm »

A big part of X-Com, for new players, is getting to that first terror mission and going "Oh god, look at all those huge aliens and there's civvies everywhere..." which quickly turns to "That sectoid is standing right next to a GAS PUMP >:3"

And seriously, if there's four aliens in a wooden barn?  That's time to break out the incendiaries and high explosives.  No, it's not overkill.  Not at all.

Same with aliens hiding amongst trees, or behind a hedge.  Because seriously, plasma cannon versus a hedge.  In general, in X-Com 1, you rarely fight in cities, never fight near skyscrapers, and obstacles are often simple plant matter.  You can crouch behind a fence and maybe if you're lucky it'll block one shot for you before getting blown away, but seriously...invulnerable white picket fence?  No.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:52 pm »

I agree, the ability to destroy cover is part of what makes X-com so much fun. Just this morning I was playing a jungle mission. Nothing like autocannons with high explosive rounds to clear out the underbrush!

I'm ticked, though. It was an attack on a large ship that had landed, and I managed to get through the fight with my least experienced, worst equipped group with only 4 losses. And then the game crashed. Arrrg.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »

Assuming ya'll are still talking about the free, open source one that's still in developement... Remember, it's a free, open source one that's... errr... still in development...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2009, 01:12:36 pm »

>:3
JESUS CHRIST IT'S A LION! GET IN THE CAR!
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:08 pm »

Meh, I don't know. I blew entire HQs up in Mercs1 for giggles, but I don't really care that much about blowing bushes up in hopes of stopping snipers. You already got savescum.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:15:58 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2009, 01:21:16 pm »

Assuming ya'll are still talking about the free, open source one that's still in developement... Remember, it's a free, open source one that's... errr... still in development...

If it's built with the Quake 2 engine and it uses brushes for the map, then no, it's not going to have destructable terrain.  The engine can't handle it.  .bsp maps, that style, really can't be changed on the fly without screwing up the vistrees.  It would need an entirely different graphics engine.  Though I guess depending on how their view works (if it's always top-down and can't be side-view) they could get away with full vis...

You REALLY can't change one brush into another though, making them disappear alone would be a stretch.  And if each tile had to be a separate 3d object you'd start to get performance issues.  I mean I haven't played the game but their actual MAPS aren't tile based, right?  Just the grid that critters walk on?  That would be a large change, and you'd need a lot more metadata just to know how to break things down gracefully!

Honestly, it really really doesn't sound like they'll ever have it.  Total, total engine rewrite, and map recreates from the ground up--into a form that will look worse (before they get blown up anyway).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:27 pm »

someone will do it eventually, although probably by taking walls out of the map and making them objects

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:59 pm »

Have anybody thought of having no objects whatsoever? Just a wide plain, with no cover, allowing for both the Xenos and the Humans to attack?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:40 pm »

someone will do it eventually, although probably by taking walls out of the map and making them objects

Yeah...I could see them doing that, and that wouldn't be a HUGE stretch, but I don't know how much Quake 2 likes having large numbers of complex models.

The ground could still be indestructable.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2009, 02:50:16 pm »

would have issues with stacks and floors too...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »

Why do you want to blow buildings up? Especially since if you return back to the area once the aliens reinvade the same territory, the buildings will magically repair itself, meaning you got to blow it back up?

First of all, the original X-Com series doesn't magically repair buildings. You're technically never twice in the same spot, as the map is randomly generated (all farms look slightly different). Even in Apocalypse visiting the same building you get a different layout (it's more like a city block than a single building, so you may be visiting another part of the block). Also, damaged buildings DO get rebuilt over time.

Second: why would you want to blow up a building? That is a very valid question, but it's a strawman: nobody says you HAVE to blow it, if you don't want to blow it, you have to be careful (just because I don't want to burn my house down doesn't mean it's magically fireproof).

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2009, 05:59:51 pm »

Why do you want to blow buildings up? Especially since if you return back to the area once the aliens reinvade the same territory, the buildings will magically repair itself, meaning you got to blow it back up?

First of all, the original X-Com series doesn't magically repair buildings. You're technically never twice in the same spot, as the map is randomly generated (all farms look slightly different). Even in Apocalypse visiting the same building you get a different layout (it's more like a city block than a single building, so you may be visiting another part of the block). Also, damaged buildings DO get rebuilt over time.

Second: why would you want to blow up a building? That is a very valid question, but it's a strawman: nobody says you HAVE to blow it, if you don't want to blow it, you have to be careful (just because I don't want to burn my house down doesn't mean it's magically fireproof).

I don't see why terrian being destrucible is needed. People are stating that it's a great idea to level entire buildings to kill snipers and that's it's okay to blow up a couple of bushes so that you get a better position.

I...don't seem to like that at all. It just doesn't sound good to me that you destroy buildings with impunity and that it's tactically wise to do so. That's all. It's my own personal view.

Look. It's just my view. I never had to deal with 'destrucible' terrian. If it is there, okay. But it isn't, I'm not going to scream.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2009, 06:05:06 pm »

It also makes the battlefield look nicer, and adds realism to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10