Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion  (Read 9362 times)

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:31 pm »

Is UFOAI stand alone?

Seems like a lot of work has gone into that project, quite impressive.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »

WorkerDrones Progress on latest (Fifth...on beginner...all of them...I suck. But I'm getting better.):

I have 1 base, and 15 X-COM ops, armed with Heavy Plasma, and I'm working on  getting all, and not just half in heavier armour. But so far, I've managed to atleast get them the much needed personal armour. And for once, I have excess Alloys. Which used to be a problem. Working on getting lots of Elerium now, so I can make Plasma weapons for better interceptors. I'll have to get more bases at somepoint, as I'm going to need more room for the special quads and hangers for Firestorms and Avengers. Like everyone, I have chosen to completely ignore the Lightnings. But I will not forsake the Interceptors armed with Plasma Beams, as they have longer ranges then Firestorms, though they are weaker.

My progress, alienwise, is slow. But tech wise, I am more then a match for what they can dish out to me, I'm just short of Elerium to produce heavy hardware, and to use as fuel and craft items for Craft and equipment. Otherwise, I might have Hovertanks, excess in weaponry and ammo, and a powerful fleet of alien interceptors, all out of reverse engineering.

And yet, further on, a crash keeps me from progressing as much as I'd like to, so much of my progress is lost when I don't save progressively. None the less, I am so addicted to this game that I keep playing it. And closer and closer I seem to edge to the Cydonia Mensae.

And once I beat this game, I shall lock it away in the deepest confines of my files, and prepare never to open this pain in the ass again.

And of course, five seconds later, get addicted to someother game.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:59 pm »

Is UFOAI stand alone?

Seems like a lot of work has gone into that project, quite impressive.

Yes, UFO: AI is standalone. I played it, but once I figured out the ending, well...meh.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:56 am »

Is UFO AI the one with the fixed nondestructive maps? That game was actually very well done and felt exactly like XCom. Except that the maps were based on Quake and were indestructible. Which was freakin' stupid and totally ruined a perfectly good clone.

Or was that Extraterrestrials? Meh, one of em open-sourcies.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2009, 03:21:32 pm »

That was indeed UFO AI. I think I managed to play it until my first squad action. 6 or 8 turns w/o being able to make my own doorways and such sent me packing.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 08:02:01 pm »

Or was that Extraterrestrials? Meh, one of em open-sourcies.
ET is commercial. It's the one where your guys didn't die unless you lost the mission. I think the environment was destructible (though I'm only about 70% sure). The game's main drawback was that it lacked plot (besides the intro) and all the techs were the same (or maybe not, I quit by the time they made that plasma-laser hybrid).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »

I bought ET and wasn't impressed, got bored after a couple missions.  Very drab game, visually unappealing, tiles seemed too huge, and I don't remember that the terrain was destructable at all, myself.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 09:04:54 am »

Yeah, ok then AI is the one definitely that I played. It wasn't finished but I did do every mission possible and unlocked every research tree. The turn-based gameplay is the most faithful out there compared to the other clones, it doesn't feel clunky at all, combat seems balanced and fair, and the animations are quite nice.

But they really REALLY messed up by using that lame Quake something engine to program it. Environments are indestructible and by their own statements they will be unable to change it in the future.

So, the best clone is also the less promising one and most disappointing.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:13 am »

Why do you want to blow buildings up? Especially since if you return back to the area once the aliens reinvade the same territory, the buildings will magically repair itself, meaning you got to blow it back up?

Plus, X-Com technically doesn't exist. It would be pretty hard to prove that X-Com doesn't exist if there is a smoldering crater.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04:58 am »

I tried to fire a rocket at a wall. The rocket blew up but the wall was still standing. It was annoying.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

Why do you want to blow buildings up? Especially since if you return back to the area once the aliens reinvade the same territory, the buildings will magically repair itself, meaning you got to blow it back up?

Plus, X-Com technically doesn't exist. It would be pretty hard to prove that X-Com doesn't exist if there is a smoldering crater.

Actually the public knows that X-COM exists.

Also not being able to blow up buildings really limits your options on how to get the annoying snipers.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 10:41:23 am »

Oh. I must have been thinking of UFO: AI's storyline, which stated that their X-Com "does not exist", due to pressure from the American government who wishes to conceal why they made X-Com to begin with. I thought that was part of every X-Com game. My bad.

Still, blowing up a building to get a sniper seems like overkill, and would likely upset the nations that you receive funding from, right?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:29 am »

No.

That only applies to Apocalypse.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 11:13:02 am »

Yeah, Apocalypse people are slightly insane. In x-com 1 and 2, people thought of it as "War of the worlds" we are screwed level. X-com seems to be the only air force left, as well as the only military left. At least when it comes to fighting aliens. Not sure if that's part of the story, but it's certainly part of the gameplay.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »

X-Com is a last ditch joint effort yeah, - where most, if not all the nations of the world are putting up their best and brightest cards and resources towards combating the alien menace. In a way no single member nation can do on their own.

They are also a covert organization because, yannow, aliens can receive our telly signals...

Would be embarrassing if some nosy reporter had to end her "exclusive scoop" at a actual X-com facility with a Alien battleship suddenly crashing down on top of it, plasma guns blazing.

In apocalypse, they're a bit more public, since most of the world's population have been gathered into these self-contained super-cities due to the collapse of the natural environment
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
all people know they're a corporation that's dedicated to protect the city against the alien invasion. Much like how every other corporation are dedicated to facilitating aspects of city services. (Megapol fights crime, Marsec fights space pirates, X-com fights aliens.)

In any case: In the former, you could level the entire city and blame the aliens for it, and people would thank you for arriving on such short notice. - In apocalypse they probably have security footage due to the arcology like structures. (Be. Very. Very. Careful. When fighting at the hydroponic farms...)

Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing this again. Maybe goverments don't mind collateral damage that much. But private corporations tends to get a bit peeved when you "save" their offices from alien infestation by burning them to the ground. (that was a fun evening... XD )
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10