Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion  (Read 9356 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 02:55:27 pm »

There's nothing a laser rifle on auto won't shoot through.  And it's got infinite ammo.

Sentence fragments be damned.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:35 pm »

I'd go find the building with nine supports, put half my guys covering the elevator door(only way out), and the others emptying their alien recharge bioblasters into the supports.  Why should I fight room to room when I can force them to madly dash out at me in an attempt to escape the collapsing building?
wait... didn't that piss off the government though?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 03:35:26 pm »

It was mighty cool in Apocalypse when you stared to raid Cult of Sirius buildings just to grab their drugs and sell them yourself. X-com, the drug-dealing cartel.
And never before the destruction of civilian property felt so rewarding.

Once, my friend played UFO1 with only one solider and tanks. At one point, the guy had higher stats than could fit in the screen. He could travel whole map in single turn, and when he finally got wounded in a mission, the recovery time was something around two or three years.
Apparently, he did it without savescumming, but I didn't ask what level of difficulty it was.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »

Aren't the stats capped off?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 03:51:46 pm »

Apocalypse exploits were fun.

Spoiler: Exploit warning! (click to show/hide)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 03:52:01 pm »

I haven't played any of the x-com games, just UFO-AI, which I found fun but I'm waiting for the next release to play.

I do like the Turn-based tactical though, thats just fun as hell.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 03:58:26 pm »

I'd go find the building with nine supports, put half my guys covering the elevator door(only way out), and the others emptying their alien recharge bioblasters into the supports.  Why should I fight room to room when I can force them to madly dash out at me in an attempt to escape the collapsing building?
wait... didn't that piss off the government though?
In apocalypse, the buildings were all private company owned, so blowing up a building owned by a company only.  You only pissed them off.  If they had been corrupted by the aliens, it was actually in your best interest to destroy their buildings, because they couldn't help the aliens as much, and you got their l00t

I haven't played any of the x-com games, just UFO-AI, which I found fun but I'm waiting for the next release to play.

I do like the Turn-based tactical though, thats just fun as hell.
Is that the sourceforge clone?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:29 pm »

I believe they were uncapped in early versions, capped in later ones.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:20:53 pm »

I believe they were uncapped in early versions, capped in later ones.

Well if I remember anything the TU max was still 255, then it would wrap to 0.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »

Hmm...stats growth is based on use. I wonder how much growth you get from having recruits shoot random stuff?

"You, rookie! Prove you can hit the broad side of a barn!"

"Yes sir!" *blast*

"Good! Keep at it! I don't want to SEE a barn when this mission is done!"
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »

I absolutely adore these games so therefore have to throw in two pence, even though it is likely to contribute naught in the way of originality.

I always play apocalypse on real-time mode (which seems to be scorned upon by turn-based purists) and always select the easiest option on whatever game it is.

Bought the set off of steam, and was absolutely stunned to see how well UFO: Enemy Unknown has aged, and probably remains the best of the lot.

Back on the Amiga version me and my Brother discovered the cheat where you could produce one thing at a time for no cost. We became self-financing solely on the production and sale of laser tanks.

Earth still pulled the plug on us because we were absolutely terrible at the game.

I was pleased to see that I am still pretty bad at it, and haven't played it for a few months as the last mission I played was a downed Snakeman terror ship. The Chrysalids shit me up proper, man. Half my force became those chitin encapsulated bastards and I went through virtually all my Heavy Plasma rounds just fending the swarms off.

Eeek. The horror of the chrysalids.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 05:23:10 pm »

There's nothing a laser rifle on auto won't shoot through.  And it's got infinite ammo.

Inner UFO walls and outer UFO walls can't be shot through by lasers. Unless you mean enemy's.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »

Hmm...stats growth is based on use. I wonder how much growth you get from having recruits shoot random stuff?
I think you need to shoot aliens (probably hit them too, though I'm not sure) in order for the experience to be counted.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 05:44:53 pm »

Quote from: Mendonca
I absolutely adore these games so therefore have to throw in two pence, even though it is likely to contribute naught in the way of originality.

I always play apocalypse on real-time mode (which seems to be scorned upon by turn-based purists) and always select the easiest option on whatever game it is.

Bought the set off of steam, and was absolutely stunned to see how well UFO: Enemy Unknown has aged, and probably remains the best of the lot.

Back on the Amiga version me and my Brother discovered the cheat where you could produce one thing at a time for no cost. We became self-financing solely on the production and sale of laser tanks.

Earth still pulled the plug on us because we were absolutely terrible at the game.

I was pleased to see that I am still pretty bad at it, and haven't played it for a few months as the last mission I played was a downed Snakeman terror ship. The Chrysalids shit me up proper, man. Half my force became those chitin encapsulated bastards and I went through virtually all my Heavy Plasma rounds just fending the swarms off.

Eeek. The horror of the chrysalids.

Despite how much I enjoy it, I feel that X-Com 1 hasn't aged well, mostly because of needing to re-equip everyone every battle. If you like Apocalypse on Real Time mode, you might be interested in Cenega's Ufo trilogy (Ufo Aftermath, Ufo Aftershock, and Ufo Afterlight). They are spiritual successors to X-Com, all with real-time combat. I think that they have playable demos.

I didn't particularly care for Aftermath. The strategy part is downplayed, but not every alien needs to die in every battle, and there are other human forces (Invisible, sometimes completes missions). There is unlimited ammo for basic weapons (Pump-action shotguns, Colt .17s, and frag grenades, I think). Aftermath is the only one in the series with ufo interceptions.

Aftershock is probably my favorite from their trilogy. (STARFORCE WARNING!) The player forces are in a big ufo-base thingy, and builds up many small bases on the ground, while amassing various resources. Making the enemies go boom is, of course, mandatory.

Afterlight focuses on the colonization of Mars. (Securerom warning.) Aliens can be recruited into the player's ranks, adding fun. Sadly, the alien recruits are squishy and die easily. One of the largest complaints about this game is the lack of ability to recruit new soldiers, making iron man games very difficult to pull off.

Unfortunately, neither Aftershock or Afterlight worked quite right on my computer right after installation because of DRM not liking my CD drive, forcing me to download unofficial fixes. They worked great after that.

While I'm advertising X-Com-esque for no apparent reason, Ufo Extraterrestrials was made by a different company. Dead soldiers are revived after a stay in the hospital, and for some reason I can't quite be bothered to beat it, despite it having flamethrowers.

Ufo: Alien Invasion is open-source freeware currently in development and playable. Interceptors are shot down depressingly easily, as I recall. It does have mutliplayer tactical combats though. I'll stop now.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »

(STARFORCE WARNING!)

My god. I have to buy it! I heard so much bad stuff about how Starforce is Satan's spawn, and I have to see it in person!

I have UFO: Alien Invasion, and I guess I decided not to play it after looking at the plotline and seeing the 'surprise' ending. And turn-based combat, meh. I know turn-based combat is great and all, but I like storyline more and I like blowing stuff up rather than, you know, waiting. So maybe the UFO trilogy might work...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:47:36 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10