Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion  (Read 9335 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Swarms: X-Com discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »

Hmm...stats growth is based on use. I wonder how much growth you get from having recruits shoot random stuff?

"You, rookie! Prove you can hit the broad side of a barn!"

"Yes sir!" *blast*

"Good! Keep at it! I don't want to SEE a barn when this mission is done!"

Actually, the way stats grow is fairly well documented.  Nonspoilery:  It's based on hitting hostile units.  The spoilers below may destroy your enjoyment of the game, turning it into a micromanage fest instead of feeling like you're commanding actual soldiers.  OTOH you'll get higher stats...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:12:23 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »

Well, that answers that. Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »

Yeah, I've started playing again too after seeing the LP threads.  My own stories/observations-

I love the AC/HE combo beyond reason, and continue fielding it even when I have heavy plasmas.  Blowing away cover is a job for replenishable ammo.  The weird part is, the longer the game goes, the HE rounds seem to be getting less effective.  Not to the aliens, I know how that would work.  I mean to the terrain.  I could swear my AC/HE guys are having a harder time blowing down walls that they used to.

On Savescumming - the game is already barely challenging on superhuman, why take that away from it?  Besides, you have to exit combat to load a game, so I find savescumming makes the game take way too long.  I still save before every battle and periodically when at peace, so I don't have to make up lost time if something weird happens.  I do reload the game if, say, a base-building replan goes wrong, or I lose a couple Captains on the first turn of a battle, and other such things I'd have a hard time recovering from.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, so here's my base building strategy - aliens home in on your activity, and while I've never lost a base invasion, I've never palyed very long on Superhuman either.  A strategy I'm trying now is building a separate base in the Falkland Islands to house all my scientists and engineering, while a ring of combat stations in Romania, Taiwan, and Louisiana protect the real world.

Finally, I must regale you all with the story of an incredible rookie.  Some of you have probably heard the legend of Squaddie Patrick Stewart - I've found his reincarnation.  I took a rookie on a terror mission, armed with a laser rifle.  Every. Single. Turn. I told him to fire an autoshot at a sectoid outside of his own visual range.  Every. Single. Turn. he killed at least one alien, sometimes more.  He was taking down cyberdisks and shaking off plasma fire, all with rather mediocre stats.  Every mission since, he's been called on to do the same, and has delivered, without fail, every time.  He's got like 12 kills after 5 missions, and just won't take damage.  The best part?  His randomly generated name - Rudi.

Ru-di! Ru-di! Ru-di!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 06:47:38 pm »

Eh. I'm fine with Savescumming right now. It's a good way to get back into the game and remember the proper tactics for taking stuff out. Easy as a lot of situations are when you do everything right, you can STILL get stomped on pretty quick if you land in a bad situation or the game decides to mind control the wrong guy. And making mistakes can be pretty fatal.

I'll probably do a proper Iron man run once this game is done with.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 09:51:46 pm »

Does anyone know how to get X-com 1 to install and run on Vista?
!!&!!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:01 pm »

Does anyone know how to get X-com 1 to install and run on Vista?
Try running it in Dosbox.

Yeah, as Aqizzar mentioned, UFO1 is ridicoulously easy even on superhuman - that is, when compared to UFO2. It's like the designers went from one extreme to another. I'm playing on "veteran", and I'm barely surviving each month. Also, I've no idea how to take the alien base - their psionics can lock on any sqaddie that any other alien has ever noticed and keep busting his brains, even if hidden in the submarine or otherwise out of sight. It's freaking impossible.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 10:32:59 pm »

X-Com 1 was easy?!  Man, I always got my butt handed to me.  I guess mostly because I was bad at just toughing it out through the hard parts but still.

In X-Com 2, the key is that you are going to lose if you take too long.  You have to rush through it, or they overwhelm you with bases.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:30 pm »

Easy is a relative term.  I forgot how much I hate alien psionics.  Namely, the way they can keep hitting people even if no other alien can see them anymore, a power your psions completely lack.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with you squaddies?  I just lost four guys on one mission because apparently you need a reaction stat of 90 to hit a alien dancing in front of five people.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 12:48:08 am »

If you want better reaction fire, leave more TU remaining instead of just enough for a snap shot.
Spoiler: Algorithm (click to show/hide)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 04:24:30 am »

Aftermath etc.

I see where you are coming from about the first XCOM re. aging, but maybe I play too much Dwarf Fortress as the interface does not irk me greatly ... undoubtedly it is cumbersome.

I have played the aftermath games and enjoyed the general dynamic of the thing, really loved spinning round corners and throwing an auto shot from the shotgun in to a morelman. It just didn't seem ... finished?

Like you say the bit about not having to kill all the aliens and stuff, sometimes the win condition is a bit arbitrary.

Plus it runs terribly slowly on my computer, which considering the relatively simple graphics (my comp does ok with HL2) strikes me that their is a certain lack of care and attention gone in to certain elements of the code.

Must admit I tried UFO:AI a couple of years ago, and never really got going. Has it moved on at all? Was that based on the quake 2 engine?

On the subject of turn-based strategy, has anyone here played Jagged Alliance 2? Well worth checking out. Not as many aliens, but fun as hell.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 08:00:58 am »

I'm a huge fan of tactical turnbased, but never could get really into Jagged Alliance 2 ... dodgy interface, rather bad graphics, quite hard ...

I quite liked the "Silent Storm" games by russian devs Nival. The more recent Xcom games, well, nice but hard in that you need to know which technologies to research first, simply because if you research the wrong stuff the aliens will wear you down quickly.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:13 am »

Sure. Laser Squad, UFO, JA and Silent Storm. The four pillars of turn-based squad tactics.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46:31 am »

There's nothing a laser rifle on auto won't shoot through.  And it's got infinite ammo.

Inner UFO walls and outer UFO walls can't be shot through by lasers. Unless you mean enemy's.

I always took the ufos straight on.  Not blowing up the ships was a key part of my funding strategy. (Plus, I stacked doors pretty thouroughly.)

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 10:44:49 am »

I'd go find the building with nine supports, put half my guys covering the elevator door(only way out), and the others emptying their alien recharge bioblasters into the supports.  Why should I fight room to room when I can force them to madly dash out at me in an attempt to escape the collapsing building?
wait... didn't that piss off the government though?
Nah, only the megacorp who owned the building. Unless they happened to BE the goverment.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »

Does damage done in the battlescape even count? I'm fairly sure corps get pissed only if you actually blow parts of their buildings in the cityscape.

I haven't checked tho, I'm playing this game at work :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10