Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 226896 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #285 on: December 10, 2009, 05:22:45 am »

I thought evreyone was just joking about the dreaming in ASCII thing, but then it happened to me and

"and you accidentally your post?"

Yea, I can't type right in ASCII anymore, the symbolic value in game outweighs its symbolic value as a language
Thank you based dwarf.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2009, 04:11:07 pm »

... when I run across a reference in a novel to an interesting form of rock in some architectural context, I feel moved to investigate why it isn't in DF.   :D

(The stone in question was red poryphry, in the form of a staircase.  It seems that poryphry is many things, but in this case was probably red granite.)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2009, 06:39:52 pm »

I find myself disliking elves.

Even those LOTR or elder scrolls.

I still like Dunmer. Ever notice, though, that the Bosmer are a lot like DF elves? They're cannibals (they eat their own dead, anyway), detest anything made of wood/plants, and are as annoying as hell.

Nyxalinth cancels (insert task): (insert reason here) creeps into my thoughts a lot.

My interest in jewelry making and geology have been restored.

I wish that magma was a viable option against stupid/rude callers at my job :P

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:57:54 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:27 pm »

I still like Dunmer. Ever notice, though, that the Bosmer are a lot like DF elves? They're cannibals (they eat their own dead, anyway), detest anything made of wood/plants, and are as annoying as hell.

Nyxalinth cancels (insert task): (insert reason here) creeps into my thoughts a lot.

What about the dwemer? The "dwarves" of tamriel(given the name by giants) erased themselves from existence trying to build a way to godhood in the depths of a volcano. But they were still a kind of elf.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »

...What about the dwemer? The "dwarves" of tamriel(given the name by giants) erased themselves from existence trying to build a way to godhood in the depths of a volcano. But they were still a kind of elf.

I think that, as in the case of Cacame Awemedinade, they can be indubitably given an "honorable dwarf" status at the minimum.  Because, seriously, that's pretty dwarvern.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2009, 09:29:47 pm »

...What about the dwemer? The "dwarves" of tamriel(given the name by giants) erased themselves from existence trying to build a way to godhood in the depths of a volcano. But they were still a kind of elf.

I think that, as in the case of Cacame Awemedinade, they can be indubitably given an "honorable dwarf" status at the minimum.  Because, seriously, that's pretty dwarvern.
Oh wait, I forgot to mention: they did this by draining power from the severed heart of the only true god of tamriel.(from what I can figure out, the others are just vastly powerful spirits of nature.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »

What about the dwemer? The "dwarves" of tamriel(given the name by giants) erased themselves from existence trying to build a way to godhood in the depths of a volcano. But they were still a kind of elf.

Yeah that's true i forget that sometimes!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:51 pm »

Sometimes when I am tired, and am watching TV the people look like letters...
...I need some sleep.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2009, 07:19:48 am »

... when I was playing dead rising on my XBOX the other day, I couldn't help but think of myself as a legendary human wrestler stuck in a human fortress on a terrifying biome.

I mean, it has zombies, guns are just as overpowered as crossbows, throwing is overpowered, the crazy people have gone berserk... Oh, and has anyone noticed that fish will kill you dead?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »

...I was disappointed to find out that mining in Antarctica is banned until 2048. There's some nice stuff down there once you're through the ice.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:08 pm »

Much like many other people, I look at my surroundings and think "alright, how could I turn this into a fortress? Is there an aquifer? Or should I just dig to the lake?"

I also heavily advocate building underground, especially in fire-prone areas, as fire replenishes the soil and pisses off the Elves. :D

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2009, 08:23:25 pm »

Bit of a story follows:

so in pre engineering, my partner and I are working on a coin op vending machine. We were having problems making something to collect the coins when I suddenly think "Ryan cancels help partner: strange mood". I look up and my partner has grabbed a piece of PVC pipe and is walking towards the machine room/ materials stash. I ask him whate he is going to make. All he says is " you'll see.". My first thought?

Ryan has claimed a drill press
Ryan has begun a mysterious construction

Creepy thing? Dwarf I named after him in my fortress had a strange mood and siezed a mechanics workshop. Built some VERY nice mechanisms
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 17, 2009, 08:08:28 am »

Bit of a story follows:

so in pre engineering, my partner and I are working on a coin op vending machine. We were having problems making something to collect the coins when I suddenly think "Ryan cancels help partner: strange mood". I look up and my partner has grabbed a piece of PVC pipe and is walking towards the machine room/ materials stash. I ask him whate he is going to make. All he says is " you'll see.". My first thought?

Ryan has claimed a drill press
Ryan has begun a mysterious construction

Creepy thing? Dwarf I named after him in my fortress had a strange mood and siezed a mechanics workshop. Built some VERY nice mechanisms
Bet you're glad he didn't loose a roaring laughter, fell and terrible.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:04 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I got some pretty strange associations when I started reading articles about the HFS+ file system.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 17, 2009, 11:38:38 am »

...I actually like playing a dwarf in World of Warcraft.

But who knows how much longer I'll be playing that game? Now that I have the hang of Dwarf Fortress-- I just started playing it a few weeks ago-- it's eating up all my time instead of WoW. I can't be as creative in a breathtaking 3D environment where you systematically just kill everything over and over.
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 69