Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 69

Author Topic: Because of Dwarf Fortress...  (Read 226934 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Because of Dwarf Fortress...
« Reply #975 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:25 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, or more accurately the Bay12 community, I have started watching My Little Pony, to my chagrin.
We expected nothing less. The thing hooks peoples interest whether they like it or not.

I have good internet and I simply refuse to watch My Little Pony out of misguided chauvinism.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:57 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, or more accurately the Bay12 community, I have started watching My Little Pony, to my chagrin.
We expected nothing less. The thing hooks peoples interest whether they like it or not.

I have good internet and I simply refuse to watch My Little Pony out of misguided chauvinism.
So we watch a show we think is genuinely good and suddenly it is overzealous patriotism? ???
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »

I have been admitted to Yale on grounds of my groundbreaking discovery on the use of bridges in the field of atomic research. 
And my friends refuse to speak to me.  Something about me being a lunatic who wants to use children as slave labor, so that I can build a device that uses magma to burn fat.  Because exercise is to simple a solution to obesity. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:50 pm »

So we watch a show we think is genuinely good and suddenly it is overzealous patriotism? ???

No, no, no... Please don't misunderstand. What I meant is that, regardless of its qualities as a show, I refuse to watch it because I have old-fashioned ideas of 'masculinity' and that it would violate them. I meant it more as a self-deprecating comment than anything else. I don't Complain About Shows I Don't Watch. I complain about my reasons for not watching potentially good shows. Sorry for the misstatement.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »

Getting back on topic...

Because of dwarf fortress, I have engrained into my brain that < and > are up and down.

Because of dwarf fortress, I have a burning hatred for anyone with green hair and a pale complexion.

Because of dwarf fortress, I see everything in both normal vision and ASCII.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:35 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I can lead study groups on geology without being in that class.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 01, 2012, 02:57:06 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress I do not help the injured during an accident. Instead, I haul anything remotely useful (or not) to a local stockpile.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 01, 2012, 05:45:51 am »

Because of dwarf fortress, I have engrained into my brain that < and > are up and down.
NetHack did that to me waaaay before I ever got into Dwarf Fortress. Plus, having played NH, it's confusing that items in DF are represented by the "wrong" characters (e.g. weapons are '/' instead of ')')... not to mention the different monsters. '&' means the same thing in both, though.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 01, 2012, 05:56:29 am »

NetHack did that to me waaaay before I ever got into Dwarf Fortress. Plus, having played NH, it's confusing that items in DF are represented by the "wrong" characters (e.g. weapons are '/' instead of ')')... not to mention the different monsters. '&' means the same thing in both, though.

I now want a mail demon in DF.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08:49 am »

Because of Dwarf Fortress... when I drive around some previously unexplored area, I get reports like "You have discovered a river!" in my mind's eye.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:14 pm »

Becuase of dwarf fortress, I see the statue of liberty and think:
This is LadyLiberty, a giant statue in steel by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdiv. Alll Craftmanship is of the highest quality. It is coated with a sheath of Copper. It Menaces with spikes of copper. The Statue Represents Libertas, a God who most often takes the shape of a female human, and is associated with Freedom.
On the Statue is a image of Humans in Copper. The Humans are traveling. The Artwork relates to the settlement of Migrants in the Metropolis NewYork in 1886-2012
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 02, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I now view the world with a third eye. It relays information on what I view, and then proceeds to explain the best way to transform it into a gore fest.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:21 pm »

because of dwarf fortress, i read forums regularly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 02, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »

Because of Dwarf Fortress, I try to keep people from idling and talking to each other, so when the inevitable goblin invasion happens, no one tantrums when someone dies.
He's fucking with us.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 02, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »

hehe
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 69